• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay vs Auction Houses

12 posts in this topic

I'm looking to sell three or four pieces -- nothing major, all running in the $400 - 700 range. Because I've bought from Heritage, it got me wondering: Do you feel there's an advantage or disadvantage to using one of the auction houses (If they'd even consider so small a consignment) as to posting on eBay?

If you know what you want to get for them, you can always try the Marketplace here first gossip.gif No commissions....

And if they don't sell for what you want, then you can put them up for auction. confused-smiley-013.gif

Advantage of ebay: larger overall market, and immediate payment.

Advantage of Heritage or Comiclink or other auctions: possible higher prices.

Advantage of Heritage or Comiclink or other auctions: possible higher prices.

Sellers might also consider selling their art through dealers.

As a side-note, I've been looking at Mike Burkey's site in recent years and have noticed that he regularly buys-in art from auction houses - then flips the art on his own site at significant mark-ups in price.

A couple of years ago, I remember Mike buying from Heritage the cover original to STRANGE TALES # 138 for a hammer price of approx $17,000. A week later, he e-mailed me to offer the art at near enough double the price he paid for it! I just said, "Mike, I like the cover a lot, but don't you think that if I wanted to buy it - I would have competed for it at the time Heritage sold it to you last week for about half of what you're now expecting for it?"

Burkey will sell art on consignment, and bearing in mind his own huge price increases (on art he buys in from Heritage, etc.), and large customer-base, it might be an option worth considering? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A couple of years ago, I remember Mike buying from Heritage the cover original to STRANGE TALES # 138 for a hammer price of approx $17,000. A week later, he e-mailed me to offer the art at near enough double the price he paid for it! I just said, "Mike, I like the cover a lot, but don't you think that if I wanted to buy it - I would have competed for it at the time Heritage sold it to you last week for about half of what you're now expecting for it?"

Did he ever respond back?

Sure, why shouldn't he have responded - it was an honest reaction from me? Someone's looking to make a quick $17,000 profit at my expense and I'm not going to question it???

Sure, why shouldn't he have responded - it was an honest reaction from me? Someone's looking to make a quick $17,000 profit at my expense and I'm not going to question it???

Just curious what did he say!

Just curious what did he say!

Don't remember his exact response, but it was something to the effect that he fully expected to get a good return on his outlay. He probably did, but the whole thing struck me as being excessively greedy at the time. A reasonable return on your outlay is one thing, but 100% profit a few weeks later . . . 893naughty-thumb.gif