• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: Silver Surfer #4 CGC 8.5 - SOLD!!!

15 posts in this topic

I finally got around to reading this book (that's to my Fantasy Masterworsks reprint issue). What a great book! Very cool story. I'm putting this on my wantlist.

Is it me, or is the Surfer possibly the stupidest character in comics? How easily he gets tricked by any baddie.

I still loved it though.

Is it me, or is the Surfer possibly the stupidest character in comics? How easily he gets tricked by any baddie.

Not stupid, just from a different, far nobler culture which is more trusting and less suspicious. However, he did work for aeons for the ultimate, planet-swallowing baddie...you think he might have gotten a little savvy after all that time in his company....

Not stupid, just from a different, far nobler culture which is more trusting and less suspicious. However, he did work for aeons for the ultimate, planet-swallowing baddie...you think he might have gotten a little savvy after all that time in his company....

By the time Surfer #4 came out, he had already been tricked by both Doom and Mephisto (wasn't Mephisto only 2 issues earlier?), worked for Galactus (as you said), and spent ample time on Earth.

All you had to do was promise him you'd reunite him with his old lady and he'd do anything you said. She musta been a demon in the sack. tongue.gif

After reading Chriscos comments regarding the Surfers ability to be fooled so easily got me thinking. In the Hardcover Fantastic Firsts book after every reprint is an afterwod that gives some added insight into the given stories creation.

In the case of Silver Sufer #1 John, B did a little write up of how he was handed the SS title and his afterword dealt with a "lost story" that never saw print. But deals exactly with what Chris brought up.

ssstory.jpg

And what I found personally amusing was when I dug this book out of my bookshelf I discovered that well over 2 years ago I placed a comic inside the book to what I imagine was an attempt to "press it " I forgot all about it until today.

book.jpg

By the time Surfer #4 came out, he had already been tricked by both Doom and Mephisto (wasn't Mephisto only 2 issues earlier?), worked for Galactus (as you said), and spent ample time on Earth.
And in issue 4 he gets to be Loki's patsy - you sense a litany developing here...

All you had to do was promise him you'd reunite him with his old lady and he'd do anything you said. She musta been a demon in the sack. tongue.gif

Well, she did look great - JB certainly knew how to draw beautiful women - almost on a par with John Romita....

Great stuff, Ze- - very informative. Buscema always had a very dry laconic attitude towards his work....

So what was the comic you found after two years? Anything important?

Ya let us know, and be quick about it, before any of the ani-press nazi's get wind of this... abomination!

It was just a Weird Mystery Tales #23, and to be honest I cannot remember what condition it was to warrant putting the comic inside the book. But I imagine it was a bit wavy and wanted to see what happened if I did the old "put a flower inside a book to preserve it trick" This book is housed in a hard sleeve, so it was nice and snug!

Well the comic still has all the minor flaws and indents that flat pressing alone will not remove, but it does lay totally flat and really looks quite nice.

I just wish I remembered what it looked like before I put it in there, kinda ruins the experiment aspect of the whole thing.

foreheadslap.gif