• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Great Comic Flip Challenge!!

14 posts in this topic

Don’t know if this will fly but I am announcing the beginning of the:

GREAT COMIC FLIP CHALLENGE

The challenge will be a two-part contest to see who can make the “best” purchase and flip it for the most money. The following are the rules:

1. All purchases will be made on E-Bay and the total amount purchased can not exceed $100 (including shipping charges). All purchases will be made over a single Friday morning – Sunday evening period.

2. The purchases must be able to be checked on E-Bay and the shipping rate will need to be able to be verified if a dispute arises.

3. Any comic book or comic magazine that has a price in the Overstreet Price Guide is eligible.

4. All amounts will need to be converted to USA dollars and current conversion rates at set deadlines will need to be used.

5. All purchase must be paid for via Paypal by Monday at 5:00 PM Eastern Time and every effort must be made to have the item arrive in nearly a week. The quicker it arrives the more time you have to properly describe the item (s) and put together a good set of auctions.

6. A list of all purchases must be posted on the Challenge Page with each person having only one post which will be considered their spot. The list will include the item (s) (with E-Bay item number) and the overall cost for the item (s). A separate page will be set up to comment on the purchases and talk some serious smack!! I will be adding bumps daily to keep this page near the top for ease in finding it when you need to change you post. I'm hoping that we can eliminate the 2 day max on changes.

7. Once the items arrive – please assign a reasonable grade for each item and figure out the Overstreet Price Guide “price” for each item. Add this info to your post and attach thumbnail pictures if desired. Please remember that all auctions will be available for viewing once comics are posted back on E-Bay – so use the same grade that you will be using in your auction.

8. The OPG prices will be used as a half-time point and the official “best buyer” will be awarded and possible small prices given.

9. During this same time – auctions will need to be put together for all items for re-sale on E-Bay. Two and a half weeks will be provided to have the items arrive, grading and auctions developed for re-sale. All auctions must be posted to e-bay during a Friday morning – Sunday Evening period to be eligible for the final prizes.

10. All auctions will be posted with a maximum starting price of $0.99. All auctions will be for one week and BIN is an option but re-flipping with this money is not available.

11. There will be no bidding on other peoples auctions and please don’t include any comments about the contest in the actual auctions to help minimize any thrill bidding.

12. Once all the auctions have been completed – it is the responsibility of each person to calculate the net gain for each item. All shipping fees, E-Bay fees (posting and final) and Paypal fees will need to be subtracted from your total. It may get tricky but in order to be fair – all shipping supply cost should be estimated and subtracted from your total. I assume all of us are better people than to ship without proper protection and damage the books in order to win the contest.

13. All items that do not sell at $0.99 will be assumed to be worth $0.50 and added to your total. No additional fees will need to be subtracted from the amount.

14. This “total” price for each purchase should be added to your post with a grand total made during the contest.

15. It is perfectly ok to keep your money and post $100 as your total if you think fees, shipping charges and lack of sales will eat up everyone’s profits.

I do understand that this contest won't be exactly fair since some people will have an existing “following” of buyers who will probably boost prices compared to the people who are unknown on E-bay. But hey, life’s not entirely fair.

I will be donating a CGC 9.8 Wolverine Origins #1 (Variant Cover) and it would be great if we could get a nice prize pool for the top few people to pick through.

Is this something that people would be interested in??

893blahblah.gif893whatthe.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

If this is something the would be in the general section - I can move it over there to get more attention and opinions.

How do you determine winner? Percentage increase or dollar increase? If I buy something for $1 and sell it for $20, do I beat somebody who bought for $40 and sold for $100?

I think it is a great idea. I recently bought some comics on ebay that I think I could flip for a decent profit... but I might want to keep them 27_laughing.gif...

I would make it percent return, where min purchase is 10 or so... and as you said max purchase being 100...

I would relax the original purchase period a bit and have it cover a range of a month. Starting last week till whenever (where you haven't received your items yet).

Make the challenge page, I'll add my purchase to it... assuming a purchase from last week is ok...

d61f_1.jpg

They were described as being in great condition... Detective Comics 425, 426, 439, 441, 442, and 443. Perhaps they are atleast VF? juggle.gif

I think it sounds like a good idea...and I even read through all of the rules. I'd be interested in participating.

As for determining the winner, I would assume that it would be from percentage increase and not gross amount.

I was anticipating using the net increase to determine the winner. If you buy 100 $1 comics and flip them all for $2 but lose $40 in fees then you have a total of $160. A person who buys one book for $100 and sells it for $175 but only has $10 in fees - wins.

I guess the sticking point is assuming that everyone has $100 to enter this contest. It really wouldn't work if someone only has $10 and flips it for a 30% increase since it would be unfair to the people who are in with $100 worth of purchases. Why should percent increase be the deciding factor? I guess I could see it work if the minimum is $50 to make the percent increase consistent.

I was hoping to make the contest not extend for months at a time and the 3 days would make it a little difficult to find prime buys. Unfortunetely, we may be competing for the same items over a weekend. Does an entire week sound more reasonable?