• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Desirable Batman Artist

29 posts in this topic

I was a Marvel nut growing up and never acquired that childhood sentimentality for Batman that I have for the Marvel characters and especially Kirby and Ditko -- but I like Adams art on any book, and I've seen pages by Aparo that were really nice too.

I was in college when Dark Knight Returns hit, working at a bookstore, and when the TPB was released, I saw it hit the shelf, picked it up, and was completely blown away. That book got me back into comics.

So for me, a Miller DKR page would be my most desired Batman page. If anybody has one they're bored of and sick & tired of looking at, let me know... tongue.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

I love the art of Moldoff, Sprang, Jones (Kelly) .......If I could pick a "GRAIL"....it would be Batman 497 cover -

F that cover! Detective 27 cover is the real "grail"

Comicartfan, I've got your back on this one- I was happy to see someone recognizing Kelley Jones' awesome cover art on the Knightfall series. When getting back into comic collecting, these were the very first books I made sure to get back before any others- call me what you will. After Jones, I'd have to go with Jim Aparo- the panels in Batman 427 (I believe) where Joker is pummelling Jason Todd nearly to death were mind-blowing to me as a kid. He (Aparo) was classic Batman for me as a kid. Are there are other artists more monumental in the grand scheme of the canon? Sure. But these were the two that hooked me into the only DC series I read as a kid.

And it's not that Tec 27 isn't the grail of grails-- it has just moved past reality of any of us owning it and into the stuff of fanboy legends. tongue.gif

Had to share this with you,

This was a Graphic novel project back in the early 80's when no European artist worked at DC, Denis Sire (Metal Hurlant regular) was the artist.

Too complicated at that time, project falls but it could have been a masterpiece.

This is one of the pages:

Batman-Sire.jpg

Had to share this with you,

This was a Graphic novel project back in the early 80's when no European artist worked at DC, Denis Sire (Metal Hurlant regular) was the artist.

Too complicated at that time, project falls but it could have been a masterpiece.

This is one of the pages:

Batman-Sire.jpg

Yes: having any storytelling artwork with style and grace goes right

over the heads of many comic book buyers.

Thank you for posting that page. laugh.gif

Anyone like Frank Robbins Batman art? Not the most desirable, but I think under rated.

I kind of like Robbins' Batman, especially the work on the "Killer's Roulette" story in Detective 426. Appart from the fact that some of his character had a "dismembered" look, his use of light and shadow (a la Milton Caniff) was interesting.

To me the definitive Batman is the one drawn by Jim Aparo from 1973-1975. To me, he was equal to Neal Adams at that time. cloud9.gif