• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Comic Magazine coming soon

21 posts in this topic

shoot and i thought it would be for you old silver bronze guys who are tired of reading the same red mountain captain america book

Hmm, upon first glance, the keywords that pop out on the cover include: Kristen Bell, Sex, Manga, and Fanboy Fashion. I'll pass. I'm sure it'll be a hit with the modern LCS scene.

Nope, this magazine will die a very quick death.

To make any kind of an impact at the newstand these days, you need to find a niche. Not try to be Maxim, Playboy, GQ and Manga Mania all rolled into one.

To make any kind of an impact at the newstand these days, you need to find a niche. Not try to be Maxim, Playboy, GQ and Manga Mania all rolled into one.

Well, to base their mag off the concept called COMICS seems niche enough to me...don'tcha think? To be honest, the topics in their mag are no less more off topic than Comics General here. confused-smiley-013.gif

I can't blame the mag for trying to get the younger crowd...it would be nice if it was a good mix of both old and new. I'll pick it up just to see how the format flows.

Well, to base their mag off the concept called COMICS seems niche enough to me...don'tcha think?

But that's just it, judging from their cover, it really isn't. confused-smiley-013.gif

You'd be a really bad color guy on a baseball broadcast.

Dan

It's not tailored for old farts like us...it's for the late Gen X and Gen Y crowd. The metrosexuals and all that.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that MASSIVE comic-buying market. 27_laughing.gif

not that i'm gonnah spend $5.98 on this, because i don't for Alter Ego and the other one that folded and I actually like those, but is it so bad to try and bring the hipness back into comics? remind teens that they just aren't for dorks (actually, in my neck of the woods (granted, the train to and from Krooklyn) the ONLY people I see reading comics in public are black and hispanic men (good for them!), most of whom you probably wouldn't call a geek to their face, whitey hides them in a brown paper bag) in the early 90s comics were cool. howard Stern was on the radio talking about how they were cool and the San Diego con and all that. Rob Liefield did jeans commercials. sure, that created a lot speculo-overstock and wasn't a good thing for the hobby per se, but if they're cool to read and not just about speculation, that wouldn't be a bad thing. you have a pretty girl on the cover with her wonder woman shirt (my wife is a pretty lady and she loves wonder woman too --- she wanted me to buy her a WW t-shirt this weekend but we were in a rush), and a non-dorkizoid guy. so, the magazine isn't just about men in tights, and they'll push you to thinking person's GNs like Maus and Persopolis and what not, but, whatever, the more readers of sequential art the better. the Maus reader might pick up that Fables TPB and then meander over to Conan, because they liked the movies and whatever and before you know it maybe they'll buy a Spidey book, who knows?

Will it do well? Probably not. Seems like this would have a better shot in general circulation than at comics shops.

It's not tailored for old farts like us...it's for the late Gen X and Gen Y crowd. The metrosexuals and all that.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that MASSIVE comic-buying market. 27_laughing.gif

I didn't say they had a market for their book; simply saying that's who their market is. I'm not going to shun anyone for trying...good grief the hobby can use all of the support it can muster.

Well, to base their mag off the concept called COMICS seems niche enough to me...don'tcha think? To be honest, the topics in their mag are no less more off topic than Comics General here. confused-smiley-013.gif

I can't blame the mag for trying to get the younger crowd...it would be nice if it was a good mix of both old and new. I'll pick it up just to see how the format flows.

isn't Wizard already for a younger crowd? i have to get my son to read it to me. he's 5