• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've got a SA Marvel 9.8 quality book that is missing one staple from production

11 posts in this topic

....what is the grade cut off with this defect?

R.

Are there staple holes there and no staple, or just no staple was ever put in? If the latter, I don't knock off any grade.

Brian, it was a book that never had one staple put in, so the paper is untouched. I'm wondering how CGC handles it. I know I have seen 9.4's with this defect. Is it allowed by them in 9.6 or 9.8? This book is pretty much flawless otherwise.

R.

R.

What's the dif? You'll charge retail anyway . . . poke2.gif

takeit.gif

I have always heard 9.6 was the cut-off point for production defects.

9.4 for foxing.

sumo.gif

each grade (9.4,9.6 and 9.8 etc) has a limit to what size defect is allowed. Some defects will not go past a given grade no matter how nice the book. The size and quantity of the defect determine the grade cutoff. For example, you can have a slight miswrap on a 9.9, slightly more on a 9.8, slightly (or WAY) more on a 9.6 etc. This is different...I'm stumped on this one.

R.

R.

Are there staple holes there and no staple, or just no staple was ever put in? If the latter, I don't knock off any grade.

Brian, it was a book that never had one staple put in, so the paper is untouched. I'm wondering how CGC handles it. I know I have seen 9.4's with this defect. Is it allowed by them in 9.6 or 9.8? This book is pretty much flawless otherwise.

R.

No effect to alleged grade whatsoever . . . grin.gif

I have a 9.2 GLOD (it's an FF1, actually) cloud9.gif

well, a GRR foreheadslap.gif

that never had either staple placed. A bit surprising, since it would have been easy just to fire a couple Swinglines into it...Still, I've kept it slabbed since I think it's pretty cool for all the pages to have made it through 40 years intact!

I was just going to say that I believe CGC has (for some bizarre reason) started using the Qualified Label for books like this. I have seen a few for sale in the past.

I know, it makes absolutely no sense, as it's a production defect like printer's creases, mis-cuts, etc., all of which CGC turns a blind eye to.