• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,058 posts in this topic

I started collecting JLA's back in 1978 I believe. It was the issue (maybe #156) and "The Fiend With 5 Faces". Soon after that I got a Fine copy of JLA #76 which I thought was ancient at the time. (Less than 10 years old at the time. I guess it's perspective at age 12 or so. lol )

So, though I took a break of almost 10 years for college and marriage, it's been a long JLA journey. About 10 years ago I started buying some of the books in better shape. When I was a teenager, I didn't care as much about the grade just how many books I could make $15 buy at the Comic Shop. (thumbs u

Heck, here is the Fiend with 5 Faces:

jla156.jpg[/img]

How long you been collecting Dan?

When I first started out, presentable VFs were enough for me. But ya get sucked into the higher grades if you're not careful.

Watch out! :wink:

Rick

I know that if money wasn't an issue, I'd get sucked into the high grade, CGC realm pretty easy. But, it's still a hobby for me and one that I don't spend huge amounts on. (Now that house is paid off, maybe I can convince my wife that the collection deserves more moola? lol ) I try never to use a credit card for comic purchases, especially at shows as it would be too tempting. I tend to save up for 6 months for the Motor City Show and bring cash. I'm excited for this next one as I've saved up $1000.00 which is about double what I usually bring. Of course, I still like to get a lot of books for the buck also.

Quite a few HG JLAs up on eBay recently, although I didn't see any crazy record prices being paid for them. The 9.6 JLA #32 was won by Frank.Vestbo for $799.01, which just topped my bid of $789.01. Don't know who he is, but he seems to have won almost every big ticket HG SA DC on eBay lately. Too bad the book was being sold by Matt Nelson, as I would have easily bid it up into the high $900s if it weren't.

Tim,

Are you keeping track of all Matt's books that interest you...I mean, after they're sold? Otherwise, what's the point in worrying; when the new owners turn around & re-sell "Matt's" books, how is one to know that they were once "Matt's" books? Serial #'s?

Oh, and if I hadn't just picked up the #32 9.4 recently, this one would have easily topped $800.

Rick

Are you keeping track of all Matt's books that interest you...I mean, after they're sold? Otherwise, what's the point in worrying; when the new owners turn around & re-sell "Matt's" books, how is one to know that they were once "Matt's" books? Serial #'s?

He doesn`t sell that many early SA DCs, so it`s not that hard to keep track of what he sells in case it appears again. Plus, the nice thing about early HG SA DCs is the pool is pretty small, so again it`s not hard to track them. There are only 2 9.6 copies at present, and I own the other one.

Tim,

Oh, and if I hadn't just picked up the #32 9.4 recently, this one would have easily topped $800.

Rick

i've had this same discussion w/ myself recently after deciding a year ago not to bid on his auctions (not that you asked)

Well, everyone has to decide for themselves just how big a deal this is. For me, this would just create a dark cloud over my interest in this hobby. Yes, it would be best if everyone were upfront. But I'm a realist, and we don't live in "Perfect World," so I buy what I like -even without past history on a book.

Curious though, anyone here think they know which books in my collection are originally from Matt...or Ewert...or anyone else for that matter? You only have to worry about the expensive ones, right...but then, what's not expensive today may be so tomorrow, so where do you draw the line? That's a lot of EXTRA work considering this is supposed to be fun.

Rick

Well, everyone has to decide for themselves just how big a deal this is. For me, this would just create a dark cloud over my interest in this hobby. Yes, it would be best if everyone were upfront. But I'm a realist, and we don't live in "Perfect World," so I buy what I like -even without past history on a book.

Curious though, anyone here think they know which books in my collection are originally from Matt...or Ewert...or anyone else for that matter? You only have to worry about the expensive ones, right...but then, what's not expensive today may be so tomorrow, so where do you draw the line? That's a lot of EXTRA work considering this is supposed to be fun.

Rick

Just to be clear, I WILL bid on Matt's auctions. But my max bid, even on books that I would want, is much less than what I would bid for a book that I thought was clean. Actually, I probably made Matt some money on this auction because the book probably would've gone a lot cheaper if I hadn't been there underbidding. doh!

Are there undisclosed pressed books in my collection? Most likely. Could books from other sellers, that I am willing to bid on more aggressively, be pressed and not disclosed? Possibly. Is it unfair to therefore pick on Matt and others who have a known reputation for pressing (actually, for Matt it's his livelihood)? Maybe, but I can only fight the fires that I can see, and can't throw up my hands and say I won't fight any fires anymore just because I can't put all of them out or it turns out there were already fires in my own house (boy, how's that for taking an analogy and stretching it past the breaking point).

Okay, enough on this. I don't want to derail this thread, just wanted to comment on a recent JLA sale.

Rick

Just to be clear, I WILL bid on Matt's auctions. But my max bid, even on books that I would want, is much less than what I would bid for a book that I thought was clean. Actually, I probably made Matt some money on this auction because the book probably would've gone a lot cheaper if I hadn't been there underbidding. doh!

Are there undisclosed pressed books in my collection? Most likely. Could books from other sellers, that I am willing to bid on more aggressively, be pressed and not disclosed? Possibly. Is it unfair to therefore pick on Matt and others who have a known reputation for pressing (actually, for Matt it's his livelihood)? Maybe, but I can only fight the fires that I can see, and can't throw up my hands and say I won't fight any fires anymore just because I can't put all of them out or it turns out there were already fires in my own house (boy, how's that for taking an analogy and stretching it past the breaking point).

Okay, enough on this. I don't want to derail this thread, just wanted to comment on a recent JLA sale.

I too will bid on the auctions, but bid much less than I usually would...so I missed out on the JLA #43 in CGC 9.4

Rick

I too will bid on the auctions, but bid much less than I usually would...so I missed out on the JLA #43 in CGC 9.4

Unfortunately, there is no way to know which books are tampered with and which books are not unless you were the original owner. I've bought books from Heritage, ComicLink, Metro, e-bay... When I came back into the hobby almost 2 years ago, I decided that either I would collect high-grade slabs of my favorite title and not be too worried/upset about what was going on.....or not collect at all.

Don't anyone think I'm promoting the practice of buying blind; you of course should make any decision$ based on as much info as you can.

It's just that it's too easy to erase the owner history of a book; adjusting your buy price only puts your bidding/purchasing power at a disadvantage, no?

You guys are making it tempting for someone out there to buy Matt's book, re-slab it & flip it to you for an instant profit...?

Rick

I will now stop de-railing also.

You guys are making it tempting for someone out there to buy Matt's book, re-slab it & flip it to you for an instant profit...?

Sure, if you can figure out when I`m bidding to really buy a book and when I`m bidding just to defend the price, then I guess you could make money off me this way.

Don't anyone think I'm promoting the practice of buying blind; you of course should make any decision$ based on as much info as you can.

It's just that it's too easy to erase the owner history of a book; adjusting your buy price only puts your bidding/purchasing power at a disadvantage, no?

Rick

I will now stop de-railing also.

That's very true, Rick. To anyone who is thinking of doing this or actively doing it already (tsk)

You know... as crazy as this sounds... collecting Silver Age Justice Leagues hasn't been quite as interesting as I'd hoped it would be.

I'm now considering selling all the ones I have and sticking to my other titles. (shrug)

I definitely have not been interested in buying uber-grade books as there are so many other titles that interest me. Oh well... sorry for my ramblings

Edited by Buffyfan

I understand.

Collecting low-to-mid grade copies is relatively easy so the challenge really isn't there.

The appeal of JLA for me is the concept of heroes working together, relying on each other towards a common goal, trusting each other with their lives, and finding ways to defeat their enemy through joint forces (..sniff..someone get me a tissue...).

And no offense to fans of FF & X-Men, but where others saw their in-house bickering as "real life angst," my take on it was that I see enough of this in my own life; I read comics to take a break from reality.

To each his own.

Hope you find a title that interests you as much as JLA does for me.

Rick