• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,059 posts in this topic

I went 0 for 16...there were no bargain prices so far in the Heritage Auction (at least for me)

There's an understatement! Prices are going through the roof for JLAs right now, particularly if a book can hit the magical 9.6 mark.

What makes you so sure Heritage is aware of this thread or the new 9.6? Just because WE have no life doesn't mean they don't either. lol

my life is so full, I have found myself in SA threads once or twice a day now lol

(thumbs u I think it's cool that you're slumming here at the kids' table. lol

Anyone win a JLA or 2?

I went 0 for 16...there were no bargain prices so far in the Heritage Auction (at least for me)...really wanted the JLA #6...but went too high for me

the #2 was eminently winnable- i paid more for my 9.2 and this one was nicer. i won bupkiss- thought for sure the third time around for the #4 i'd be the high bid but underbidder for third time in a row. i won't even remotely hang w/ what people are willing to shell out for 9.4's.

What makes you so sure Heritage is aware of this thread or the new 9.6? Just because WE have no life doesn't mean they don't either. lol

Don't sound so sure. Heritage doesn't get quality material time and time again by sitting on their collective arses. No dealer does. If getting primo stuff depends on something other than an extensive network, it depends on being quick off the mark.

Tim was speaking more about us than Heritage, to my ears.

I thought Id be able to grab the Qualified #3 for a song, but I wasnt willing to pay so much for a Qualified book. I dont mind unread glossy book smanufactured with popped staples. But CGC and most collectors arent so flexible.

It's definitely selling for more than low 30s.

I guarantee it.

Rick

Rick,

Did you win the prize?

If I had 35K (that I was "allowed to spend" on comics), I would have snatched it up

No, tweren't me.

I spread my money around. Like I've said previously, I try to go for quality AND quantity whenever possible. I won't be going after a #1 for awhile.

Do you think the news of the 9.6 kept the price in the 30K's?

Yes. I still put in a throw-away bid of $30,000 (knowing full well it wouldn't be enough). Hopefully the winner knew of the 9.6 before winning this one.

My brother was in town all last week, so I wasn't able to post, but I'll show my wins & give my take on the recent auctions...tomorrow? (today's my Friday)

All I'll say for right now is...I gotta start working some overtime!! :o

Rick

Any thoughts on the final price of the JLA #1 in CGC 9.4?

Do you think the news of the 9.6 kept the price in the 30K's?

I think it ended up pretty much where I thought it would, in the mid-30Ks. So I don't think the news of the 9.6 suppressed the price, but who knows? Maybe one of the bidders who was ready to go nuts on the book pulled out of the auction altogether after seeing the 9.6 and doing a deal with the owner, so you ended up having an auction with only the 2nd and 3rd most hungry collectors.

Yes. I still put in a throw-away bid of $30,000 (knowing full well it wouldn't be enough).

I assume you mean $30K with the juice, because the winning bid was in fact $30K, but before the juice!

hm where to start?

I got the #6 and yes, I know I over-paid for it (thanx Tim), but I'm getting fed up with these ultra sweet, super HG JLAs passing me by every time. Look on the bright side Tim: the next one to show up is yours for much less...presumably.

Also up-graded my #12 #13 & #17. This #12 runs right over the last one on Heritage; and the 13/17 combo is far superior to the Clink's "equivalents." So I didn't mind spending extra. Come to think of it, I paid less for those 2 issues :acclaim:Don't see myself upgrading any of these again in my lifetime. I'm now at peace with these issues. What stuns me is how I spent so much without filling any holes...just up-grades! :pullhair:

Would have been more aggressive with the #14 9.6 if I thought the JLAs would be popping like the ended up doing! Anybody waiting for early JLA bargains for Top Census copies...ya might wanna pack a lunch. That train left & won't be returning anytime soon.

Hopefully, these new $$ levels will bring out more collections, but I doubt it. DC collectors remain loyal, longer. But that'll just keep the current rare books...well, rare! Win-win, baby! :luhv:

Now I just gotta come up with the dough to pay for these cookies! (:

Rick

:o Rick is in da house, and he's elevated his game! This is an unexpected development, although I should've expected it after your colossal bid on the #14. hm

Nice pick ups on the 12, 13 and 17. Totally agree that the 13 and 17 were superior to the CL offerings, although I think Scott's #13 is still the nicest copy I've ever seen, and still regret not picking it up a few years ago. The Toth 12 was also superior to the Fantastic Frank 9.4 copy that sold on Heritage recently. Lucky for you I was also distracted by the Legion offerings, so I wasn't even the underbidder on those 3 books.

As for the #6, still can't believe that I got pipped, and that it was you of all people. :pullhair:

I have you (and Scott) to thank, Tim. Your buying habits convinced me that the best way to maintain value is to have one of the best copies. I'm not worried about making money on my collection (one of these days), but it sure would be nice if I could avoid losing money.

I thought about contacting you re #6 so one of us could stay out of the other's way, but who's willing to step aside? We both wanted it bad; maybe future auctions can be better handled somehow? Who did you think pipped the #6 from you? C'mon Tim, spill it.

You like Legion books, huh? Maybe I'll check those out next time... hm

Rick

I thought about contacting you re #6 so one of us could stay out of the other's way, but who's willing to step aside? We both wanted it bad; maybe future auctions can be better handled somehow?

Scott and I had that arrangement once, which basically involved me backing off most JLAs, but that was in the days when I was still collecting lots of different titles, so I was okay in de-focusing on JLAs. Unfortunately, these days, JLA is one of 2 titles left that I still collect. Of course, if you would let me designate which books I want and then you back off, that would be great and much appreciated!

Who did you think pipped the #6 from you? C'mon Tim, spill it.

Frank Vestbo? I honestly have no idea. Whoever (singular or plural) it is that has been paying up for JLAs lately.

Who did you think pipped the #6 from you? C'mon Tim, spill it.

Frank Vestbo? I honestly have no idea. Whoever (singular or plural) it is that has been paying up for JLAs lately.

With my luck, the so-called "buyers" are Heritage/Clink shills that over-estimated some bids...? :o The next big JLA auction will determine that.

Rick