• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,058 posts in this topic

For HG JLA completists, I just noticed that there's a 9.2 copy of #24 in the weekly Heritage auction. This is the B&B 60 of JLAs ( :P ), traditionally very tough to find in HG, with only 2 9.2 copies at the top of the "regular" census and 1 freak PC copy way above by itself.

Edited by tth2

Dunno, just is. There's a surprisingly high number in the 20s that are particularly hard to find in HG: 22, 24, 25, 26 and 29. And while 21 has a large number of 9.4 copies, a 9.6 or higher copy has yet to emerge, amazingly enough in this era of pressing and resubbing.

I've been debating for months about the PGX 8.5 Diamond Run copy on Highgradecomics.com. I bit the bullet today and bought it. I will probably resub it to CGC not too long after I receive it. Hope it doesn't come back a lower grade or PLOD. :wishluck:

For HG JLA completists, I just noticed that there's a 9.2 copy of #24 in the weekly Heritage auction. This is the B&B 60 of JLAs ( :P ), traditionally very tough to find in HG, with only 2 9.2 copies at the top of the "regular" census and 1 freak PC copy way above by itself.

stick to noticing 9.4's and leave the dregs for us little guys.

A 9.2 #24 is like a 9.4 of any other book.

someone got a steal the last time this book appeared based on the price this go round. i was the unfortunate underbidder. i believe spookley bought it.

someone got a steal the last time this book appeared based on the price this go round. i was the unfortunate underbidder. i believe spookley bought it.

You weren`t even willing to go 2X guide on this book? If spookley won it, he got a good deal.

You weren`t even willing to go 2X guide on this book? If spookley won it, he got a good deal.

:cloud9:

I won it the last go around for I think $400...9.2 with white pages...

:frustrated:Got outbid on the JLA #86...black cover, Neal Adams cover...highest graded and only 9.4 copy on the census....I think it went for $310....I would have gone higher but it's a late silver age book and I am hoping a 9.6 copy comes out of the woodwork....

By the way, Tim...what JLA issues do you collect up to...1965 and earlier or the #1-100 run?

(worship) That's a great deal!

:frustrated:Got outbid on the JLA #86...black cover, Neal Adams cover...highest graded and only 9.4 copy on the census....I think it went for $310....I would have gone higher but it's a late silver age book and I am hoping a 9.6 copy comes out of the woodwork....

Never noticed the scarcity of this book in NM before. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. hm

By the way, Tim...what JLA issues do you collect up to...1965 and earlier or the #1-100 run?

Pretty much just 1-20 at this point.

I will pay more than $6000.00 for a 9.6 copy.

I'll pay more than $6001 for a 9.6 copy.

Someone refresh my memory...about a couple years ago there was a Pacific Coast JLA #22 on sale on comic link...I can't remember if it was a CGC 9.4 or 9.6, but it sold for $8,000....it was already sold by the time I checked the site...

It was a 9.6 copy. and as the Python's would say, it was very nice (with a French accent).

(worship) That's a great deal!

Never noticed the scarcity of this book in NM before. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. hm

Pretty much just 1-20 at this point.

Tim,

Let me know if you find any raw high-grade copies of JLA #86....I have been seeking them out, but usually the ones I see for sale (raw) are more like an 8.5 than NM.

Any guess on how many high-grade JLA collectors are out there?

It seems most collect #1-30....after that, the later issues are pretty easy

to pick up unless it is very rare in high-grade (9.4 or up)...ie: issues #46, 59, 62, 75, 83, 86, 93....most of these have black covers...

Someone refresh my memory...about a couple years ago there was a Pacific Coast JLA #22 on sale on comic link...I can't remember if it was a CGC 9.4 or 9.6, but it sold for $8,000....it was already sold by the time I checked the site...

It was a 9.6 copy. and as the Python's would say, it was very nice (with a French accent).

Thanks Dover (thumbs u

Thanks Dover (thumbs u

I actually bought a raw 21 at a convention many years ago. Had it CGC'd a few years later at 9.4!! Sold it at a time when I was quitting collecting. Hard not to love silver DC.

Any guess on how many high-grade JLA collectors are out there?

It seems most collect #1-30....after that, the later issues are pretty easy

to pick up unless it is very rare in high-grade (9.4 or up)...ie: issues #46, 59, 62, 75, 83, 86, 93....most of these have black covers...

The early issues are definitely the main challenge for HG collectors, although as I mentioned above quite a few issues in the 20s are surprisingly hard to find in HG. I think like with most SA titles, availability in HG increases significantly as you get into the mid- and late-1960s, with the odd really tough issue here and there. JLAs from those periods in 9.6 and above have been doing very well across the board, though.

Well here are a few pics of some issues I just picked up for my 1-100 reader copy collection. Nothing to compare with a certain someones collection (Rick (thumbs u) but maybe in the future I'll be able to sit at the big kids table.

69858.jpg.b2d66f17274a2e30a8f47d659d50d6e1.jpg

69859.jpg.fb2243073186bd912effe6df0eb09767.jpg

69860.jpg.937bde9023ecd5318da497875ab61027.jpg

JLA fans,

Is this a CGC 9.4 potential or no?

I'm thinking 9.0-9.2 (but I have seen some 9.4's that look like this)

Advertised grade is 9.4....what do you think?

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/bookDetail.php?id=119236&enlarge=2

That mark next to the bottom staple should drop it out of the 9.4 when added to the other marks. I'd say probably 9.0-9.2