• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,058 posts in this topic

First and foremost I would like to say hello to all of you. I’ve been an active watcher of these boards for about a year now and have come to know and respect many of you. Your posts are a welcome diversion from my work grind as I check them often.

The reason for my posting now is I wanted to clear the air a little on the recent JLA 1 that was up on E-bay. I would like to assure all of you that there was no restoration done to this book or any of the other Toth books (some books were pressed). Matt Nelson did all pressing and currently has some more of the books.

Welcome to the boards. It would help if you could tell us more about yourself so we could understand where you're getting your information from.

I could make a comment that saying no restoration was done but the books were pressed is a contradiction in terms, but will resist. Although I am depressed to hear that Matt is working his "magic" yet again on books that managed to sit very nicely in Mr. Toth's collection for decades without needing any artificial assistance.

I believe the LLC has something to due with how the picture was taken you can see it in both the E-Bay & CGC Gallery picture but is minor in Heritage one. LRC may have been creased after it was encapsulated, as it is not in the Heritage scan.

The LLC looks worse in the Heritage scan, and the same LRC crease is there in the Heritage scan. I remember commenting on it when it was first up for auction on Heritage.

His sig line say "David N Toth" so I assume we are welcome Mr Toth to the boards. :hi:

:o My bad. This is what happens when you have sig lines turned off.

If this is indeed David Toth, then a huge welcome to the boards and I hope you`ll stick around and share some info about your collection.

First and foremost I would like to say hello to all of you. I’ve been an active watcher of these boards for about a year now and have come to know and respect many of you. Your posts are a welcome diversion from my work grind as I check them often.

The reason for my posting now is I wanted to clear the air a little on the recent JLA 1 that was up on E-bay. I would like to assure all of you that there was no restoration done to this book or any of the other Toth books (some books were pressed). Matt Nelson did all pressing and currently has some more of the books.

I believe the LLC has something to due with how the picture was taken you can see it in both the E-Bay & CGC Gallery picture but is minor in Heritage one. LRC may have been creased after it was encapsulated, as it is not in the Heritage scan.

I don’t mean to rant and am not trying to be rude. I hope to talk with many of you in the future. Just wanted to give you guys some background info. }

I think the above comments are why it didnt fetch top dollar. Sounds like the book was already pressed which im sure the big players already knew about, not to mention it looks more like a 9.2 then a 9.4 to me. My guess and its only a guess is that when a big book shows up people call matt nelson and ask him if hes done work on it. If he has... then thats why some book do worse then others. As i said earlier Tim's 9.2 had potential to get upgraded and thats why it did so well at auction. This book clearly doesnt have that potential. Dont mean to come off like a hater but thats how i see it. I just got educated on the whole pressing game last week.

Edited by BleekerBob

David Toth is indeed still alive as he is my father.

Hello again all my name is Andrew.

I'll be more than happy to answer most of your questions. But you'll have to be patient, I don't get on the computer to often and have even less time to type.

I'm Sorry I didn't notice the corners in the scans but I suppose your trained eyes would be better than me, I'm fairly new at trying to grade CGC style.

Hope to talk to you soon. :grin:

Edited by MstrTech

Hi Andrew, again, welcome to the boards. I've got a bunch of questions for you, but rather than side-tracking a thread devoted to JLA, I'm going to start a new thread that will be focused solely on the David Toth books (and your dad).

Edited by tth2

David Toth is indeed still alive as he is my father.

Hello again all my name is Andrew.

I'll be more than happy to answer most of your questions. But you'll have to be patient, I don't get on the computer to often and have even less time to type.

I'm Sorry I didn't notice the corners in the scans but I suppose your trained eyes would no better than me, I'm fairly new at trying to grade CGC style.

Hope to talk to you soon. :grin:

Welcome to the Boards, Andrew :hi:

I can't read the cert. # or I'd be able to tell you if is the Toth copy. I have most of them memorized. lol

:grin:

If it is the Toth copy it got from Dallas to Vancouver quick. lol

I can't read the cert. # or I'd be able to tell you if is the Toth copy. I have most of them memorized. lol

Here is the Toth copy...which happens to be in the Lewis Wayne Galleries' ebay store...

http://www.lewiswaynegallery.com/comics/jloa1.jpg

I can barely make out the CGC serial number on the "new" JLA #1 CGC 9.4 on ebay (from Avalon Collectibles...)

Looks like the same serial number as the Toth Copy....I smell a scam here... (tsk)

Sure looks like the same book, based on the general cut of the book, as well as the fleck at the ULC and slight inward curve at the bottom of the LLC.

If it is the Toth copy it got from Dallas to Vancouver quick. lol

only thing to come out of vancouver that wasn't a scam is greggy.

I had a question for you guys:

I've looked at both our copy the 9.4 and the 9.6 copy of JLA #1 on the CGC gallery, and frankley was not impressed w/ the 9.6.

What is your take on it?

I see the flaws in the 9.4 copy and I'm trying to be unbiased, but I think our copy has way better eye appeal. :grin:

I think the 9.6 copy is structurally better, but in my opinion it`s marred a bit by the miswrap.

I think that`s why I only bid $50K for it. :P

I totally agree about the miswrap but what about the color. Too me it looks pretty dingee. The whites are not as bright and seem yellowed. I can’t tell from the pictures how sharp the corners are, but still. :grin:

just my 2 cents.

The 9.8 JLA #101 just went for 12X Guide. It was one of the better centered copies that I've seen, but still...

My elitism may be showing, but no way I'm shelling out over 5 Bills for a post-1970 post-#100 book with a cut off DC logo & right edge thumb mark. Congrats to the winner; I'll use my $500 elsewhere.

Rick

Just saw that another 9.8 copy is in this week`s Heritage auction, with a Cert # that is one digit higher than the previous copy, indicating they were submitted together. Heritage has been selling off 9.8 copy after 9.8 copy of some BA DCs, most notably Actions, so I assume there was some discovery of a big batch of warehouse copies or something.

I sure hope for the sake of the guy who paid $500 for the 9.8 JLA #101 that it wasn`t the first of 20 more 9.8 copies.

The 9.8 JLA #101 just went for 12X Guide. It was one of the better centered copies that I've seen, but still...

My elitism may be showing, but no way I'm shelling out over 5 Bills for a post-1970 post-#100 book with a cut off DC logo & right edge thumb mark. Congrats to the winner; I'll use my $500 elsewhere.

Rick

Just saw that another 9.8 copy is in this week`s Heritage auction, with a Cert # that is one digit higher than the previous copy, indicating they were submitted together. Heritage has been selling off 9.8 copy after 9.8 copy of some BA DCs, most notably Actions, so I assume there was some discovery of a big batch of warehouse copies or something.

I sure hope for the sake of the guy who paid $500 for the 9.8 JLA #101 that it wasn`t the first of 20 more 9.8 copies.

:tonofbricks:

:jokealert: