• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The X-Men jump price...

10 posts in this topic

I've bought a few weeks ago a copie of Wizard zero and notice the impressive increase of the Uncanny X. prices, specially from nº144 and up...what made these go up from almost the double of their price?!

Also, the CC/Byrne run has gone to some sky rocket prices too (checked wizard and some ebay auctions)...looks like these title will be joining AMS in the big collectables/pricey from the House of Ideas...

Regards, Pedro.

I've bought a few weeks ago a copie of Wizard zero and notice the impressive increase of the Uncanny X. prices, specially from nº144 and up...what made these go up from almost the double of their price?!

It's a total fantasy. A month or two ahead of "X2", Wizard doubled/tripled/quadrupled all the prices on post-144 issues for absolutely no good reason. Those issues are still worthless as ever. Even the CGC prices on those books has, for lack of a better word, crashed after several dealers flooded the market over the past year with slabbed 9.8 copies (some of which were from a huge warehouse find of '80s books).

Gene

I really don't understand why they try to "impose" their subjective perspective ont he prices guide...do they throw some bones on a pot and read the price in it?!

At least, they could try to follow the "real market" and see what people buy and sell and their final prices.

Regarding AMS, looks like it's the opposite, the ebay prices i've been seeing, go beyond the usual wizard prices...the numbers below nº200 are really starting to go up, and fans keep the growth with their wallets too.

At least, they could try to follow the "real market" and see what people buy and sell and their final prices.

But following the market takes huge amounts of time and money, and it's far more economical to just use your own movie-based equations.

I really don't understand why they try to "impose" their subjective perspective ont he prices guide...do they throw some bones on a pot and read the price in it?!

Regarding AMS, looks like it's the opposite, the ebay prices i've been seeing, go beyond the usual wizard prices...the numbers below nº200 are really starting to go up, and fans keep the growth with their wallets too.

This is what robs Wizard of its credibility as a price guide.

When I talk to dealer friends, they will tell me that when a collection comes through their doors, there are invariably X-Men issues between 144 and 300 in the collection. Everybody bought these, often in multiples, and current guide really should reflect this.

But, wouldn't it be better for Wizards credibility and selling department, to be see has one solid/real price guide?!

At least, wizards taking on the new comics is way more near the actual market price, than overstreet, that it's good only for the "old" comics.

The "problem" is that the majority of the stores tend to follow wizards price guide...

At least, wizards taking on the new comics is way more near the actual market price,

The "problem" is that the majority of the stores tend to follow wizards price guide...

Well, which is it? You can't have it both ways. First you commend Wizard for having new comics set near "actual market" prices. Then you condemn the stores that are following Wizards pricing.

Chris

At least, wizards taking on the new comics is way more near the actual market price,

Well, which is it? You can't have it both ways. First you commend Wizard for having new comics set near "actual market" prices. Then you condemn the stores that are following Wizards pricing.

Chris

I think what the point is, Wizard is good at moderns and new comics, which overstreet does not reflect well. I think ASM v2 36 is listed close to cover price in Overstreet. Wizard is a good guide for that kind of issue. However, for older issues, their pricing is more speculative as the case for X-Men 144 > and up. Dealers would be wise to not follow Wizard for the more established books that have a proven history. Wizard has a more day-trader type mentality that is good for moderns, but bad for older issues.