• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink charging illegal fees

287 posts in this topic

Hi All: I don't understand what all the bitc**ng is about. I can understand using a CC for some form of security but Comiclink is not a fly by night dealer. If the 3% really makes a difference in your economic situation and the only way you can afford to buy a high grade book is by paying your CC company an inflated interest rate for a year or more, don't buy the book. Keep looking on ebay for all those high grade Bronze age books that have been hoarded in stacks. I don't agree with Mr. Nice on many issues ( As I have been duped by Mr Dupcak ) but it does appear that many on these boards want to give the appearance of BSD's, but don't have the wherewithall to back up their attitudes. If you want it pony up to the bar and try a new concept, like cash, check or money order. It is widely accepted and there is no 3%, 5% or 9.9% or higher fee.

Ok, I see your point, it's illegal. So is speeding, pot, and lying on your tax return he who is innocent cast the first stone.

Sorry for my rant, but that is the reason why most of the books you covet never see the light of day!

Best, Tom

AMEN!! What he said.

Amazing that I have a troll now that I don't post as much as I once did. Nice try buddy, my comics are purchased fully out of my own funds. Thanks for caring though. Sad attempt but at least I now know you have some form of infatuation with me..

Brian

Amazing that I have a troll now that I don't post as much as I once did. Nice try buddy, my comics are purchased fully out of my own funds. Thanks for caring though. Sad attempt but at least I now know you have some form of infatuation with me..

Brian

Welcome to my world ! - I thought i was the only one who had someone "watching" them 24/7 !

I would like to address the recent concerns raised on the forum about ComicLink. I understand the issues raised and the concerns are valid but please note the following:

ComicLink charges the lowest brokerage fees in the industry for the services it provides (currently 10% total). This is in contrast to similar auction and brokerage houses that typically charge up to 30% total commission (buyer + seller commissions). A vintage comic book business simply cannot be run on less than a 10% gross margin. If ComicLink has to absorb another 3%, that is a 7% commission. Of that 7%, the net profit is much less after expenses of running the business and taxes. ComicLink keeps the cost of using the service low for both buyer and seller. In addition to a zero buyer commission and a low 10% seller commission, sellers do not have to pay any listing costs or reserve fees. That is another benefit for users and still less money to pay for ComicLink expenses.

Paying by credit card on ComicLink is an OPTION, not a requirement, and it is only one of many payment options available. If a buyer does not wish to pay 3% extra, he or she does not have to pay by credit card. The buyer may pay by check or money order or by paypal balance. ComicLink is also a bid/ask system so the buyer that wishes to pay by credit card but does not want to absorb the fee can also reduce the amount of his bid by 3%.

If the surcharge is removed and credit card remain a payment option, ComicLink will need to raise the seller commission or institute a buyer commission like many other companies do. This would only hurt consumers and sellers across the board in the form of higher prices for buyers and lower sales for sellers.

I sincerely hope that I have addressed all of your concerns.

-Josh Nathanson, ComicLink

I support Josh on this one. And i will tell you why. Even though I am not arguing whether it's legal or not, I feel that 10% commision on books consigned to him is not only reasonable, it's down right cheap ! - I recently bought a book from Josh and the total was $1500....Which means that he only made $150. bucks on it....which is really not alot. And if that means that he has to raise commisions and "hide" the cost of using a credit card, then that's what he'll have to do...and I won't be happier or feel that we (collectors) stood up for ourselves and beat them. (dealers) - Let's face it, we all pay for this option of using a credit card with every single business. It's just that Josh is up front about it and not disgusing it. I think that he is actually being forthright. He is saying that he could change his policy and not accept credit cards at all...He is not legally obligated to accept them...it's a convienence for buyers...

I think where the real crime is with Heritage Comics ! - WHY the F*** do I have to pay a fee for the option to buy something ??!! - So, if i go to the supermarket and decide to buy a gallon of milk, I have to pay an extra 20% just because the store needs to make more money ??!! - Yes, I have bought from Heritage , and I am peeved everytime that I have to make out an additional amount....That is where engery should go to changing.....

ComicLink has changed its policy. We are no longer charging a credit card surcharge.

shocked.gif

I wonder what the "punishment" will be?

They trim off 3% of the book on all sides.

That's fair. 893whatthe.gif

I think where the real crime is with Heritage Comics ! - WHY the F*** do I have to pay a fee for the option to buy something ??!! - So, if i go to the supermarket and decide to buy a gallon of milk, I have to pay an extra 20% just because the store needs to make more money ??!! - Yes, I have bought from Heritage , and I am peeved everytime that I have to make out an additional amount....That is where engery should go to changing.....

After you get Heritage to drop their Buyer's Premium, see if you can get rid of, among many, Sotheby's 20%, MastroNet's 15%, Christies' 19.5%, Leleand's 15% or Skinner's 17.5%. Many people will thank you smile.gif

After you get Heritage to drop their Buyer's Premium, see if you can get rid of, among many, Sotheby's 20%, MastroNet's 15%, Christies' 19.5%, Leleand's 15% or Skinner's 17.5%. Many people will thank you smile.gif

Vote with your wallet and don't buy their stuff.

This is an across-the-board surcharge no matter how you pay or where you live, so it can really only be countered using common sense.

ComicLink has changed its policy. We are no longer charging a credit card surcharge.

Well , that is refreshing. I hope you are sincere and not placating us so this thread will just go away. I had submitted some bids prior to these posts, perhaps I will see first hand on this policy change.

Tom

Am I the only person who factors in the buyer's premium when placing a bid with Heritage?

For those of you who are mathematically challenged, figure out your top price and then multiply it by .87 - this will give you the approximate price you should bid before the buyer's premium is added.

Well hell......look at that.....some b!tching on these Forums actually changed something.... 893applaud-thumb.gifJim
WHO'S NEXT? sumo.gif

Pacific Comic Exchange charges 3% on CC payments too!! sic 'em!

grin.gif

So does Jason Ewert, and he was a bit of a [!@#%^&^] when I said he was breaking the law. Get him!

So does Jason Ewert, and he was a bit of a [!@#%^&^] when I said he was breaking the law. Get him!

I remember asking him nicely about that for an FF 121 I'd bid on, and I believe he told me off and cancelled my bid. I'm not sure if I'm on his blocked-bidder list, as I haven't gone back since.

I think I caught someone else's flack. 893whatthe.gif