• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Byrne's FF run What books are.....

79 posts in this topic

First FF issue I ever read and first purchase for an actual Comic Shop. cloud9.gif

FF19598.jpg[/img]

Such an awesome run for so many years, I can't even bring myself to buy the new krap its so lame.

ff208cgc98w.jpg[/img]

Lets not for get the Pollard/Layton Iron an run and the Buscema/Bryne Captain America stuff, just outstanding. Anyone lucky enough to grow up reading these books during this era can appreciate what it must have been like during Marvel's hey day in the early-mid 60's. Actually I think this period overall was probably better. Roger Stern doesn't get enough credit for his writing because he was the architect for some many of these fantastic arcs with various titles (Hobgoblin, Juggernaut, Hyde battles with Spider-Man, Baron Blood/Captain America, Masters of Evil, etc, etc). hail.gif

Did Byrne to Surfer appearances during his run?

Surprised I haven't seen him any of these covers.

Did Byrne to Surfer appearances during his run?

Surprised I haven't seen him any of these covers.

Did I read somewhere on these boards that Bryne purposely did not want to showcase the Surfer on a cover when he did the FF run (for whatever twisted reasons he had). Seriously buy the run this weekend if you can, its all good material.

This thread is really making me wish it was still the 80's

Byrne FF

Miller DD

Perez Teen Titans

Buscema/Palmer Avengers

Romita Jr Spiderman

cloud9.gif

Duran Duran

Family Ties

Wham

cloud9.gif

speaking of the 80's. check out these two adds from FF 285.

hogan.JPG

Highly valued? acclaim.gif

Great Reads? laugh.gif

I've got most of them in a run and wonder what all the fuss is about? foreheadslap.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You mean you bought them before reading any of them (not that I've ever done any of that tonofbricks.gif)?

Personally, I don't like anything in the Byrne run... and I've tried reading it on 5 or 6 separate occasions. Had he been inked by Sinnott instead of himself, I might be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt...

Did I read somewhere on these boards that Bryne purposely did not want to showcase the Surfer on a cover when he did the FF run (for whatever twisted reasons he had). Seriously buy the run this weekend if you can, its all good material.

I agree. GREAT reading material.

Byrne didn't ink all those books himself. Jerry Ordway and Al Gordon did a nice job on a lot of them, maybe the last 20 or so.

Well, Byrne used that magic marker inking style on the vast majority of his books.