• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And Some Of You Thought Ultimate Spidey Books Were Worthless

32 posts in this topic

Sure it's big money, but looking that these are some of the hottest modern comics around + CGC high grades + one of the best series around, the final value will double within a couple of years...can anyone say Spider-man 2??!!!!!!

Can anyone say Valiant?

You Modern speculators crack me up, spouting off without any idea on how "hot newstand" comics have fared in the past.

Can anyone say Valiant?

You rang?

Just kidding... while I've been round-and-round with Joe about Valiant books...

We both agree that 98% of ANY title will always be "second-best" at best.

In other words, 98% of Valiant, 98% of Marvel, 98% of Ultimate Spiderman,

98% of any of the "hottest books in the last X-number of years"... will never be "IT".

If everything was actually as hot as people make it out to be...

there wouldn't be any room for "second best", "mediocre", "cold", and "garbage".

MAYBE up to 2% of something can be hot and stay hot, but that's about it.

When someone touts more than 2% of something as "hot" today...

they're probably doing all they can to sell it today.

Ask not what new thing the sellers are selling,

ask what old thing the sellers are buying. grin.gif

Actually, it's closer to 0% of something can be hot and stay hot, but 2% of that can one day become relatively warm sometime down the line.

Actually, it's closer to 0% of something can be hot and stay hot, but 2% of that can one day become relatively warm sometime down the line.

2% of 0 (zero)? confused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

0% of SOMETHING... but 2% of THAT (referring to the original subject SOMETHING -> "0% of" is modifying it) can one day....

Pretty simple to understand. grin.gif

Nothing like:

While Jim was walking his dog, he started peeing on the street and humping Darth's leg.

Sure it's big money, but looking that these are some of the hottest modern comics around + CGC high grades + one of the best series around, the final value will double within a couple of years...can anyone say Spider-man 2??!!!!!!

Can anyone say Valiant?

You Modern speculators crack me up, spouting off without any idea on how "hot newstand" comics have fared in the past.

Hey, watch it with the shots at Valiant. They have given me a better return than Golden or Silver Age books over the past 5 years. grin.gif

The key to Modern Age books is being in at the beginning, dumping them, and then picking them up 5 or so years later when the market has crashed and they can be had for 25 cents or less apiece (just like biotech stocks wink.gif). Take Valiant, for example. They generated a lot of buzz, hit a peak in 1993 or 1994, then came crashing down in the mid 1990s. However, along the way they created a loyal fan following that could not afford the key issues during the peak. Now that prices are more reasonable, they are starting to come back to finish up their runs and pick up the gems that they could not buy back then. As a result, prices have moved steadily to the point where some of the rarest items are now bringing in $100+ apiece ON A REGULAR BASIS. Valiantman can vouch for this, as his website is partly to blame for this resurgence in Valiants.

In time, the same will happen with the Ultimate line as well. That is why I am not picking any of them up now, having missed out on the first run up when they hit the stands (actually, I went against the advice of the owner of the store I have my file at - he said they would be hot and I laughed at him, D'OH!).

In time, the same will happen with the Ultimate line as well. That is why I am not picking any of them up now, having missed out on the first run up when they hit the stands

Why don't you pick then up now, if as you say prices will double when Spider-Man 2 hits?... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Kermit said that...not kimik! confused.gif

2% of 0 (zero)? confused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

0% of SOMETHING... but 2% of THAT (referring to the original subject SOMETHING -> "0% of" is modifying it) can one day....

Pretty simple to understand. grin.gif

Nothing like:

While Jim was walking his dog, he started peeing on the street and humping Darth's leg.

Ahhh, Antecedents...herein lies the conundrum 893scratchchin-thumb.gif