• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: SILVER AGE SURVIVOR SERIES - Round 11

Choose a comic to leave the list  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Choose a comic to leave the list

44 posts in this topic

Well, Fantastic Four #5 and the 1st Dr. Doom was another lop-sided vote. But now we're to the Top 10 and it should heat up a bit. I'd predict closer votes but I think there is clearly a swaying element to many of the good debates here.

So, this will go until Sunday night around 8:30. Have a great weekend everyone and we'll see which one leaves next.

OK, I had to finally give the heave ho to ASM #1. Now, if you would ask whether I'd want to own it over JIM #83, you betcha. But I'm going to go with the last book that's not a 1st appearance. I think Amazing Fantasy #15 is a Top 5 easy so this is no Spidey bashing.

Went with the Showcase #4, I still think the ASM #1 is more significant book. Flash is the weakest link ... goodbye

I'm not sure how much more, if at all, ASM #1 is more significant than Showcase #4. AF #15? Yes, I could see that. But Showcase #4 is probably in the Top 3 of most Iconic Books on this list. Taking out the Martian Manhunter appearance in Detective, Showcase #4 is the Silver Age Launchingpad.

Went with the Showcase #4, I still think the ASM #1 is more significant book. Flash is the weakest link ... goodbye

I'm not sure how much more, if at all, ASM #1 is more significant than Showcase #4. AF #15? Yes, I could see that. But Showcase #4 is probably in the Top 3 of most Iconic Books on this list. Taking out the Martian Manhunter appearance in Detective, Showcase #4 is the Silver Age Launchingpad.

I'll give you that. I was thinking more about the characters for some reason. I've never been a fan of the Flash, so it was a little biased in that sense.

I'll give you that. I was thinking more about the characters for some reason. I've never been a fan of the Flash, so it was a little biased in that sense.

Since there are no rules as to how you choose, I can't fault you for voting based on a character you like more than another.

I was almost convinced to keep ASM #1 around on the basis of someone saying it was the first Marvel x-over. And I agree Marvel's cross-title continuity was a big part of its success. But then I noticed FF #12 also had the same on sale month. Now FF was a monthly by then and ASM started out as bi-monthly, so has anyone determined which had the earlier on-sale date? (Overstreet calls it a "tie" but that's far from definitive).

In any case, my vote has been cast for ASM #1. But I'll go on record now that Amazing Fantasy #15 should take it all.

I was almost convinced to keep ASM #1 around on the basis of someone saying it was the first Marvel x-over. And I agree Marvel's cross-title continuity was a big part of its success. But then I noticed FF #12 also had the same on sale month. Now FF was a monthly by then and ASM started out as bi-monthly, so has anyone determined which had the earlier on-sale date? (Overstreet calls it a "tie" but that's far from definitive).

In any case, my vote has been cast for ASM #1. But I'll go on record now that Amazing Fantasy #15 should take it all.

Both, according to Marvel Comics Group 1939-1980 were released on December 10th, 1962. Spider-Man is listed as publication #7 that month and FF#12 as #8.

Dennis

I jettisoned HULK...I know he's worked his way into the popular culture to quite some degree, but he's not even really a Super Hero...sortof quasi-villian, quasi-do-gooder of limited intelligence. Don't mean to upset any HULK-LOVERS, but I've never been a big fan... frown.gif

I just realized I don't know what I'm going to do if ASM 1 gets voted off this round. Every single one of my votes thus far has been for that book, which has made the decision-making process pretty easy.