• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

who are the most important non-artist people in comic history?

44 posts in this topic

I would not put him in the same catagory as some who were mentioned here but , for me, Mark Gruenwald was important. He defined a lot of what Marvel is today and his 10 year run on Captain America is without equal. I miss his work.

Roy Thomas

Mile High Chuck

Heritage Auctions

Steve B and CGC

confused-smiley-013.gif

I was wondering when someone was going to mention these two.

Borock (CGC) has changed the way comics are bought and sold forever! Slabs may not dominate the market, but they represent some of the highest prices ever paid for comics.

As for Chuck, he pioneered the mail order business and essentially started the "Pedigree" craze.

But of course, number one on the list should be Stan "The Man" Lee. hail.gif

Just my 2 cents...

John popcorn.gif

Gutenberg? (moveable type/printing press)

Yes, I'm sure Gutenberg's primary reason for inventing the printing press was to allow sequential strips of cartoon images to be printed depicting grown men running around in skin tight neon clothing with flowing capes, accompanied by huge-breasted toothpick-thin-waisted model-type females in similar clothing, with their breasts practically bursting from those costumes.

Yes, of course that's why Gutenberg invented the printing press. What other reason could there be?

So in that sense, yes, Gutenberg is important in comic history I guess. Let's not forget the caveman that first invented vegetable ink while we're at it. And the first guy on the planet that ever slugged another guy in the face, thus inspiring every super hero comic ever created.

I'm glad that sarcasm found an echo. poke2.gif

ComicCuts08-1934.jpg

This very rare comic book magazine is what directly inspired Major Wheeler-Nicholson to accept the offer from S-M News as well as Greater Buffalo Printing to convert this title & format to some thing retitled New Fun Comics.

New Fun in that Comic Cuts from S-M had been all British comics reprints, New Fun was all "new" American homegrown newspaper-reject wannabees compiled by the Major

Once the conversation happened to shrink New Fun down to its normal More Fun size which later spawned The Spectre, Harry Donenfeld began printing the Major's comic book magazines. As the Major fell behind in payments, Donenfeld kept fronting more money until he owned the titles.

Can some one post a New Fun #1? It came out about 3-4 months after Comic Cuts stopped.

ok, back to sarcasm in comics relevancy

ComicCuts08-1934.jpg

This very rare comic book magazine is what directly inspired Major Wheeler-Nicholson to accept the offer from S-M News as well as Greater Buffalo Printing to convert this title & format to some thing retitled New Fun Comics.

New Fun in that Comic Cuts from S-M had been all British comics reprints, New Fun was all "new" American homegrown newspaper-reject wannabees compiled by the Major

Once the conversation happened to shrink New Fun down to its normal More Fun size which later spawned The Spectre, Harry Donenfeld began printing the Major's comic book magazines. As the Major fell behind in payments, Donenfeld kept fronting more money until he owned the titles.

Can some one post a New Fun #1? It came out about 3-4 months after Comic Cuts stopped.

ok, back to sarcasm in comics relevancy

Bobby B; what's up with spoiling all of these suppositions with all these interesting facts?? far too informative........... thumbsup2.gif

and did i miss Bob Overstreets name???? Ron Foss??? Maggie Thompson??? Robert Bell???

As for Chuck, he pioneered the mail order business and essentially started the "Pedigree" craze.

...No disrespect to Chuck but he was nowhere near a pioneer in mail order,...people like Bell, Rogofsky, and a whole bunch more had strong mail order businesses for a good 15-20 years before Chuck ever went into mail order

Thought we could take a breather, inject some Comic Cuts, steer the conversation to relevancy, cuz i keep seeing all the focus on Eastern Color's output in 1933-34 as being "most important" but there are many other "most important" angles in any family evolutionary tree

I think Benjamin H Day and Mr WIlson, the two owners of Wilson & Co which evolved into Brother Jonathan's Cheap Book Establishment who, in Sept 1842 published & printed the first comic book in America ever: The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck

...No disrespect to Chuck but he was nowhere near a pioneer in mail order,...people like Bell, Rogofsky, and a whole bunch more had strong mail order businesses for a good 15-20 years before Chuck ever went into mail order

Claude Held of Buffalo New York, still alive, still dealing, is the Grand Daddy of them all, methinks, as he began dealing in 1939 - issuing his first Comics Only list circa 1955

Bill Thailing is the next guy to issue a comics only catalog a few years later

Leonard Brown and Richard Olson partner up by 1959, thenRich goes to get his PhD and Leonard takes on Malcom Willits as partner

Bert Blum begans dealing comic books out of Cherokee soon there after

Rogofsky comes along as a full time dealer in 1964, age 16 then

By a 1959 issue of The Fantasy Collector, a long running adzine, Claude Held is having a Twentieth Anniverary Sale ad with discounts - i have that issue kicking around here. There are other ads for comics in early The Fantasy Collector adzines as well. Jerry Bails advertised Alter Ego #1 in it

I think Benjamin H Day and Mr WIlson, the two owners of Wilson & Co which evolved into Brother Jonathan's Cheap Book Establishment who, in Sept 1842 published & printed the first comic book in America ever: The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck

not to mention Oog, who invented cave drawing. Or the guy who invented ink, and paper, and paper trimmers, etc etc

How about the guy who owned the first newsstand? Does he count? or baling wire.

I agree that "pioneer" was probably the wrong word to use in this case. However, Chuck was the king of the back issue market for some time. His ads dominated comic books and related print. If you couldn't find an issue anywhere else... Chuck would have it!

John thumbsup2.gif