• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KARATE KID # 15 PAGES? (Anyone know the fate of Juan Ortiz...?)

8 posts in this topic

Okay, kind of an odd one here...in 1978, there was an artist (pencils and inks) that worked at DC named Juan Ortiz (NOT the same guy at DC now), and he pencilled and inked Karate Kid # 15 (the crossover with Kamandi issue if anyone remembers)...since he pencilled and inked the entire issue (except the cover, I own that), he got back the complete book, but then he left DC and fell off the face of the earth (perhaps left the USA?)...anyone know what happened to him OR the art to this comic...? (I'd love to buy it if I could FIND him...)

JONATHAN (Karate chop, pork chop...same to me...) MANKUTA

1881999-KarateKid15cvr.jpg.6084617fc12680b81e09e916438cf769.jpg

Okay, kind of an odd one here...in 1978, there was an artist (pencils and inks) that worked at DC named Juan Ortiz (NOT the same guy at DC now), and he pencilled and inked Karate Kid # 15 (the crossover with Kamandi issue if anyone remembers)...since he pencilled and inked the entire issue (except the cover, I own that), he got back the complete book, but then he left DC and fell off the face of the earth (perhaps left the USA?)...anyone know what happened to him OR the art to this comic...? (I'd love to buy it if I could FIND him...)

JONATHAN (Karate chop, pork chop...same to me...) MANKUTA

Juan Ortiz was born in Puerto Rico, and having moved to New York, Juan graduated from the Art & Design School and School of Visual Arts in Manhattan. Later, Juan's skills took on comic book form, when he was inspired by the styles of Jack Kirby and Alex Raymond. In 1990 he published a comic series named 'Rescue Comics' together with Francisco Espinosa by Pigeon Press. At the pinnacle of his career, Juan was elevated to Director of Illustration for Warner Bros. Studio Stores. From 1989 to 1992, under the art direction of Vice President/Executive Editor Joe Orlando, he illustrated covers for the Warner Bros. magazines Looney Tunes and Tiny Tunes Adventures. He is the President and publisher of Silver Comics where he has created an entire new universe of characters including 'Sea-Bolt', 'Cloud Buster', 'The End', 'Dr. Monster', 'Boom Boxx', 'Captain Rescue' and many more.

Nope...wrong Juan Ortiz folks, the Juan Ortiz *i'm* looking for was an artist at DC in 1978...only did a few pieces of art, including Karate Kid, and a few other small titles, then left DC...the guy at Silver Comics started his career in 1985...

Anyone else...?

thanks,

JONATHAN (...just where IS *MY* Juan Ortiz...?) MANKUTA

Nope...wrong Juan Ortiz folks, the Juan Ortiz *i'm* looking for was an artist at DC in 1978...only did a few pieces of art, including Karate Kid, and a few other small titles, then left DC...the guy at Silver Comics started his career in 1985...

Anyone else...?

thanks,

JONATHAN (...just where IS *MY* Juan Ortiz...?) MANKUTA

Oh, that Juan Ortiz!

Never heard of him . . .

How about:

"Álvaro Ortiz Albero studied at the Zaragoza art school, and also took courses in animation and book publishing from the School of Art in Urbino, Italy. He has worked as an illustrator for Mondosonoro and has contributed to the fanzines Alert Boy, Manganiac, Fayin, Berni Gil and his own Esperando Nada and Proyecto Sapo. Ortiz also contributed to collective books like 'Tapa Roja' and 'Lanza en Astillero'. His first solo comic 'Julia y el Verano Muerto' was published by Edicions de Ponent. With scriptwriter Miguel Ángel Ortiz, he then made 'Bajo un centenar de cielos' and 'Mañana Ilega Michelle'."

Or . . .

"When he was very young, José Ortiz Moya won a tournament organized by the Spanish magazine Chicos. This launched him into the comic scene, and he started producing numerous pocket-sized comics, like 'Capitan Don Nadie', 'Dan Barry el Terremoto' and 'El Duque Negro'. From 1959 on, he created 'Sigur el Vikingo' and 'Johnny Fogata', and in 1962, for the English newspaper Daily Express, he made 'Carolynn Baker' . . .In the seventies, he ventured onto the American market with several horror stories, published by Warren. At this time, his collaboration with writer Antonio Segura started. Together, they created titles such as 'Jack el Destripador', 'Morgan', 'El Hombre' and 'Burton y Cyb', all throughout the eighties. Ortiz was present in Spanish magazines like 1984, Creepy, Metropol, K. O. Comics, Zona 84, Totem and Cimoc all through the 1980s until the mid 1990s. He also cooperated with the Italian publisher Bonelli, illustrating series like 'Ken Parker' and 'Magico Vento'"

Ortiz or not Ortiz . . . that is the question.

TERRY (Jose Ortiz, I heard of . . . Juan, no) DOYLE

I got this Jose Ortiz original for possible sale. Large Art cover, with colored inks . . .

Although there are no Martial Arts-like poses, I'm sure karate was part of their basic training, if that helps? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

6fhalbb.jpg

TERRY (the bullet is quicker than the karate chop) DOYLE

>SIGH<

Unfortunately it's just the particular story of Karate Kid # 15 I like that makes me hunt for it...

What's funny is I contacted Juan Ortiz (the guy currently at DC), and he explained how he wasn't the same guy at DC in the late 1970s, and I looked it up, and sure enough, my quest began for the 1970s DC version of Juan Ortiz... Problem is, as both penciler AND inker of that issue, he got back the entire book... frown.gif