• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Donnelly?

14 posts in this topic

The only piece I've ever bought from them was through Heritage.

And I got it for about half of their asking price - even with "the juice."

Now if they'd just put the rest of the pieces I want up for a price I can live with ...

I have already ranted about my Donnellys horror story via mail order before eBay. I basically demanded that they be banned from advertising in TBG/CBG and Overstreet.

Best to deal with them face to face at Comic-con: San Diego. Bring your trade bait. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Anyone ever deal with him? Whats the best way to get intouch with him? So far the feedback hasnt been great has anyone had a good experence ? Any feedback is appreciated thanks in advance.

Bleeker one,

To quote Monty Python,

'Run Away, Run Away, Run Away!' stooges.gif

I bought my first piece of comic art from them in 1993 at San Diego. While high, it was a rather smooth transaction. Believe it or not, I still have it. In addtion, they impressed me with their Byrne artwork because they had just purchased it a couple of years prior to 1993, known as the 'The Calgary Collection'. I never had problems with them until 1998. This was right before I moved to Southern California. Here is what transpired:

I negotiated with Rich (first problem since these were Steve's pages supposedly) on purchasing the following pages:

This X-Men page:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

Another X-Men interior page since sold by them, and

An Avengers 164 interior page (not the one on my gallery)

I negotiated a price with Rich for $1,100 cash. I paid $100 down, and the rest I paid by personal check. Since they did not know me well and it was an out-of-town check, they would hold the art until the personal check cleared. I agreed. A couple of months passed. A letter written went un-answered. I moved to California in late 1998, so I did not follow up until early 1999. When I went to their old store in the SF Bay area, I addressed this situation with Rich. He had no recollection of the sale, even though I provided a written note that he gave me. I demanded my art. His response? "I need to talk to my brother." How many times has this statement gone through the proverbial wringer?

When I addressed Steve on this issue, he refused to honor the sale, even though I had my cancelled check and Rich's note completing the terms of the sale. I was furious! 893censored-thumb.gif In the meantime, Byrne X-Men art had started its exponential rise as more people became aware of eBay. Since I lived in California, I threatened legal action against them. They finally refunded my money at San Diego in 1999. I swore never to do business with them again.

I relaxed that statement last year with Rich. I purchased a page from him through a third-party at last year's San Diego show. No problems there. I have since purchased two more pages from Rich off eBay. Both of those transactions were slow, but Rich threw in an extra page of DC art to compensate for the time delay. However, I will never deal with Steve again directly. His dishonesty and refusal to complete our transaction in 1998 make him Dealer Villian Numero Uno in my book. While I have purchased several pages from Steve's collection when he used to consign to Heritage, I have tried to recruit others to assist me with making purchases from him to no avail.

My recommendation is to deal with Rich. However, if he says that famous statement, "I need to talk to my brother.", then

RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY. 893whatthe.gif

Ciao!

PRC

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths we will go to and the people we will deal with to get the art that we love.

That's why it's called an addiction.....but we disguise it under the title "hobby"...

I was just talking about this subject with another collector. OA collectors will put up with a lot of BS. Even when it's time to put the foot down, as soon as that great piece becomes available, all is forgiven. Bottom line: we OA collectors are our own worst enemy.

I haven't purchased anything from the Donnelly's, but Rich has purchased several items from me through the 'net and he's always paid promptly. So, I've heard some horror stories about people purchasing from them, but has anyone had a bad experience selling to them? confused-smiley-013.gif