• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone lookin for some 9.8 XMEN?

17 posts in this topic

Hey I like X-Men as much as anyone but this run is one of the lowpoints of the series. What really is there to recommend it other than, maybe, the Storm losing her powers storyline? Most X-collectors hate Romita's art. The first Warpath in costume? Who's looking for that. First Nathan Summers? Had it's speculator driven day and is pretty much a common issue now. And his description is misleading in that Rogue first appeared in Avengers Ann 10 not in the X-Men. I personally don't think this will sell as his reserve is probably way too high for anyone looking for these comics.

Jim

I totally agree, but if he was offering the Paul Smith run 165-175 separately, I might give it a go, at least until the specs drove me out. I personally feel that run is second only to the Byrne/Claremont issues.

I totally agree, but if he was offering the Paul Smith run 165-175 separately, I might give it a go, at least until the specs drove me out. I personally feel that run is second only to the Byrne/Claremont issues.

...or maybe a "collector" who is more determined, and not as tight with his $ as you 27_laughing.gif

...its always gotta be a "spec" if he's willing to pay more 893frustrated.gif

If I had the resources lying around right now, I'd buy them. I agree they're not the BEST stories out there, but I started reading them [new] around #170 or so, so there's SOME sentimentality to it. They're all good copies, too, so as a collector, I wouldn't mind having the set....

Not that anyone asked for my .02....

...or maybe a "collector" who is more determined

Bruce, I never tire of the qualities you assign to various sub-groups.

Someone who is impatient and blows their load at the sight of CGC 9.8 books is "determined", yet the one who methodically and patiently searches for the right books at the right price is "tight assed".

Let's just say I'm very glad I'm not what you refer to as "determined". 27_laughing.gif

i actually like that part of the run, its what i was reading new so i guess that flavors it, but it shines above anything from #220-Current without a doubt!

To each their own I guess.....

I really thought X-Men started rolling again around the start of Silvestri's run on up to Lee's departure. There's some pretty dull gaps in there but the highlights outshine them in my opinion. Wolverine getting near killed by the Reavers and subsequently getting nursed to health by Jubilee (who I thought was a useless character before this story arc), Psylocke's transformation by Mandarin, the return of Xavier, and Longshot the last man standing against Sinister are just some of the great stories in the run off the top of my head. As you can probably tell, I really enjoyed them......

The title really nosedived after that (no surprise since it was around this time that Claremont left) until Age of Apocalypse which was surprisingly very well done in my opinion.

Jim

..nor I, of your unfair designations/descriptions of those that buy differently than you.

tongue.gif dagnabbit... 893frustrated.gif

you're taking it to extremes again Vince. I was referring to you specifically in this case. You're a cautious/ intelligent and sometimes "thrifty" buyer by your own admission (recently with DrB) and that's certainly wise.

However, since you chose to "again" characterize anyone that would bid more than you... inaccurately as a "spec"... I chose to equally and unfairly characterize you as being a "tight-wad" in this case to illustrate a point. (even though there is some truth to it as well grin.gif). You didn't like it... but were doing the same thing by labeling those willing to outbid you on the X-men lot as "specs"!

I have respect for those that stick to their guns about what they want to pay. I judge not, and also do the same bloody thing "most" of the time (I'm just willing to pay more than some others would)... it's common sense. There are books that I have went "emotionally overboard" with and had to have, regardless of the price... sue me.

That aside, I ask you again semi-kind sir... to consider there are more types of collectors besides the "patient, wise collector that's always in control" (that you approve of) and a "spec" (that represents everything else judging from your comments).

There are obviously many levels of "collectors" that will bid stronger than other "collectors" for items that mean more to them... or because they have more available funds to do so. I'm not even delving into "hybrids" because they are part "investor/spec" and I'm sure that taints them in your eyes.

Its not all black and white. makepoint.gif

ps.. now would be a good time to recognize a good point made and say so... it just takes one small step smile.gif "

Its not all black and white. makepoint.gif

Yes it is, just ask him he'll tell you......again and again and again and again....

ps.. now would be a good time to recognize a good point made and say so... it just takes one small step smile.gif "

Dream on spec. grin.gif