• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest CBG - CGC Snafu!!!!

57 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has already been posted but, anybody read the latest CBG? They were given access into CGC's grading room at the Chicago show and were allowed to report on the grading process.

A semi-informative article, with alot of pictures, and a snazzy shot of Steve encased in a slab!

One thing I found discouraging, however, was the pic of resto-checker, Chris Friesen (sp?). Did anybody else notice he is NOT wearing gloves while inspecting a book??? What's up w/ that!?

I realize the pics could be "staged", and this an oversight. But if it wasn't, wouldn't that instantly crush that books chances of receiving a 10.0 (fingerprints)?

Thoughts?

Chris

Sorry if this has already been posted but, anybody read the latest CBG? They were given access into CGC's grading room at the Chicago show and were allowed to report on the grading process.

A semi-informative article, with alot of pictures, and a snazzy shot of Steve encased in a slab!

One thing I found discouraging, however, was the pic of resto-checker, Chris Friesen (sp?). Did anybody else notice he is NOT wearing gloves while inspecting a book??? What's up w/ that!?

I realize the pics could be "staged", and this an oversight. But if it wasn't, wouldn't that instantly crush that books chances of receiving a 10.0 (fingerprints)?

Thoughts?

Chris

This is a common misperception....CGC graders only use gloves in special cases...

All Greggy's submissions get the 'glove-treatment' but not because they are afraid to get fingerprints on his romance pamphlets, but because they don't want the sticky (some say alien) stuff that's almost always on his books on their skin...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thoughts?

Chris

This is a common misperception....CGC graders only use gloves in special cases...

All Greggy's submissions get the 'glove-treatment' but not because they are afraid to get fingerprints on his romance pamphlets, but because they don't want the sticky (some say alien) stuff that's almost always on his books on their skin...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Nice try inferior chocolate boy! flamed.gif

Thoughts?

Chris

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

shocked.gif27_laughing.gif

Did anybody else notice he is NOT wearing gloves while inspecting a book??? What's up w/ that!?

I've actually seen this a lot in "behind the scenes" grading articles, where the graders are consistently shown handling coins, cards, etc. with bare hands.

It really makes you wonder what's going on in there...?

Gloves are not worn when grading every comic book. Gloves are always worn when grading mid-to-high and high grade comics. When handling low grade books, we do not need to wear gloves. Graders are constantly washing(yes, and drying smirk.gif) their hands to make sure that dirt from one comic does not get onto another. The exception is when checking for some types of restoration (slight glue on spine) you need to lightly feel the spine with the tips of your fingers, gloves do not allow you to do so.

I heard the gloves at CGC are used for something other than grading. goodevil.gif

Don't believe everything Greggy tells you....He has a very vivid imagination....

You should hear what Darth says about the imaginative ways your wife has for a bar of Toblerone! tongue.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Nice try inferior chocolate boy! flamed.gif

Oh come on...don't become a Darthdiesel groupie Greggy...you're better than that...

893offtopic1.gif

Yeah...but like your very old references, stick with what works. BTW...you can continue on because frankly, it doesn't affect me at all! 27_laughing.gif

Yeah...but like your very old references, stick with what works. BTW...you can continue on because frankly, it doesn't affect me at all! 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893blahblah.gif

Took you that long? insane.gif

Gloves are not worn when grading every comic book. Gloves are always worn when grading mid-to-high and high grade comics. When handling low grade books, we do not need to wear gloves.

I don't know about anyone else, but this makes little or no sense.

In any environment where condition-sensitive (or fragile/dangerous) materials are present, the employees are trained to observe proper working protocol wherever they are. That means that if you only work in X area on Thursdays, it doesn't mean you can come in wearing shorts the other 4 days.

The reason is to standardize behavior and not allow different behavior in different environments, as that leads to carelessness and mistakes. As in forgetting to put your gloves on after, or a propensity for employees to flaunt the regulations when they see fit.

This is just basic human nature and is the main reason why these procedures are set in place.

Gloves are not worn when grading every comic book. Gloves are always worn when grading mid-to-high and high grade comics. When handling low grade books, we do not need to wear gloves.

I don't know about anyone else, but this makes little or no sense.

In any environment where condition-sensitive (or fragile/dangerous) materials are present, the employees are trained to observe proper working protocol wherever they are. That means that if you only work in X area on Thursdays, it doesn't mean you can come in wearing shorts the other 4 days.

The reason is to standardize behavior and not allow different behavior in different environments, as that leads to carelessness and mistakes. As in forgetting to put your gloves on after, or a propensity for employees to flaunt the regulations when they see fit.

This is just basic human nature and is the main reason why these procedures are set in place.

JC- How do you check for glue on the spine of a comic? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

JC- How do you check for glue on the spine of a comic? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Please note the portion of your comment I replied to. I have no problem with someone using old-school methods (in rare cases) to detect resto, but this high-grade/low-grade "gloves on/gloves off" scenario is pretty whacky.

Sorry, should not have read and answered so fast. boo.gif

Still, I don't see what is "wacky" about not wearing gloves for lower grade books if your hands are very clean? Wearing gloves is very uncomfortable and there is no reason for someone to wear them for 8-12 hours straight (with a break for lunch).

Gloves are always worn when grading mid-to-high and high grade comics.

gossip.gifAnd from what I've heard, they're elbow length white stain Chanel - which is a big pain, because when wearing a diamond tennis bracelet, it's a real pain to have to keep taking it on and off and on and off and on and off. 893frustrated.gif