• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Updated Site

490 posts in this topic

Hey did Sal, delete his post about there not being an Ignore function?

I test-ignored him, the message disappeared, then when I stopped ignoring him, the message never re-appeared.

I'm just glad to see that the forums are as filled with mutual respect and love as they have always been. Thank you all for your patience and your balanced and positive feedback.

That's sarcasm.

;):whistle:

Arch, not to be sacastic myself, but you guys have managed to pull this forum together as one in their (pick one, or all ) hate, disgust, displeasure, dissapointment, frustration etc.

Yeah we are all a bunch of fuddy duddies who hate change. On the old site I felt like I was on "The" CGC Forums! If you changed the background colors you almost feel like you are here http://forum.stlcomics.com/ except it has a warmer fuzzy feeling there. I'm just not getting that with the new site.

I'm also one who has IE6 not because I love it, it is because 90% of the software I need to use at work and some that I use from home does not work with IE7 or FireFox.

While I'm all in favor of making adjustments to the boards so that everyone here has a good experience, the sheer drama of the complaints is a bit much. "I'm blind!" "THIS SUUUCCCCKKKSSS!!!!!!" "I have a massive headache, I need a vacation from the boards!!" etc. etc. I mean... wow.

Now, how did you expect a group of people collecting items from over 30 years ago would handle change? :baiting:

Btw, thanks for updating the graemlins (thumbs up

A pleasant day to you Arch. Hope everything is going well.

Could you please look into the following.

1) Restoring the quote functions to the way they used to be. Thanks.

2) Could you please move the secondary advertisement to a location other than interupting the flow of the thread. Ads are wonderful and a boon to mankind but the location of the additional ad seems a bit out of place. Thanks so much.

3) could you remove this content.gif from the log in area. Appreciate it.

On the bright side (which you prefer, and dwell in) The Pm functions will be a great improvent.

This is a great idea in principle on your part.

Nope, it's still there. Just click on the person's name, go to his/her profile and click "ignore this user".

ah. shows what i get for not looking very hard. appreciate it, not that i actually use the thing

After navigating the site a little more today, I am starting to accept it! I am still having problems trying to figure out which posts I have read though. Hopefully there will be some kind of a color change for that.

In the meantime, I am just happy that I have something to read again! It was kinda slow yesterday and I felt myself feeling lost! I'd try to find other interesting stuff out there... but found myself checking back every 10 minutes to see if the site was up!!! doh!

John (thumbs up

I echo what Aman said, we are just yapping. I can see how you guys probably wanted to probably stick to a uniform color that has been used for the group of companies with the grey and purple (or whatever it is) but I'm surprised no one at CGC said "hey the display sucks" when you were finalizing the upgrades. "insert the hit the dirt greamlin".

all I can add to your post above Arch, is, well, "which Boards have YOU been moderating all this time?" the posts so far have all been well withing the spectrum of reactions to EVERY issue here.

Some people scream it sucks.

some are understanding

some love it

some nitpick

and others are quick to complain.

Hey, that describes all of us here!

So dont take criticisms personally... arent you supposed to be above such petty human emotions anyway?

: )

I love Arch. Not too fond of the loss of good graemlins and the addition of scroll bars in quotes.

After navigating the site a little more today, I am starting to accept it! I am still having problems trying to figure out which posts I have read though. Hopefully there will be some kind of a color change for that.

Yep, and if Arch can fix that, then all the major stuff is fixed or at least workable. But without a true color gradient change between Read and Unread, it's literally giving me a brain ache.

Yep, and if Arch can fix that, then all the major stuff is fixed or at least workable. But without a true color gradient change between Read and Unread, it's literally giving me a brain ache.

Hey stop being so petty, time to review your priorities JC. (JUST KIDDING).

A pleasant day to you Arch. Hope everything is going well.

Could you please look into the following.

1) Restoring the quote functions to the way they used to be. Thanks.

2) Could you please move the secondary advertisement to a location other than interupting the flow of the thread. Ads are wonderful and a boon to mankind but the location of the additional ad seems a bit out of place. Thanks so much.

3) could you remove this content.gif from the log in area. Appreciate it.

On the bright side (which you prefer, and dwell in) The Pm functions will be a great improvent.

This is a great idea in principle on your part.

New tone... :cloud9:<<

In summary, the evil effects of this "massive upheaval" are exaggerated. I understand that we're all creatures of habit, but c'mon. If anyone has a nervous breakdown over that short and fairly trivial list of issues, they might want to re-think their priorities.

I still don't understand why it was changed in the first place though. It seems like a change that was not needed. Most everyone was probably working well and efficiently with the previous format. (shrug)

Most of the stuff anyone can get used to over time. The only thing I don't think I'll ever get used to is the ads right in the middle of the thread. The buyers of the ads still paid for it regardless of it's placement. Just seems like in the middle of a thread is the worst possible place to put anything other then the thread itself.

• Administrator
all I can add to your post above Arch, is, well, "which Boards have YOU been moderating all this time?" the posts so far have all been well withing the spectrum of reactions to EVERY issue here.

some are understanding

some love it

some nitpick

So dont take criticisms personally... arent you supposed to be above such petty human emotions anyway?

Yes, I am supposed to be above them. And dangit if that worthless admin had given me my graemlins I'd insert an angel losing his halo and wings! FREAKING insufficiently_thoughtful_person ADMINS! AAAAAAAAAAA!!!! (clawing my eyes out)

;)

• Administrator

Acutally, my opinion is that that's a hysterical mob-think reaction of silly proportions, and that 95% of all of the navigation of this new version is just about the same, with a variety of improvements.

1. A very cool multi-person PM system

2. The ability to attach multiple images and have them appear in-line instantly without having to re-link the images

3. A noticeable hardware upgrade that's sped the boards up

4. Some nifty new things like moods

5. A wider selection of post icons

6. An improved calendar interface

7. An improved poll interface.

8. Frankly, an improved layout and style sheet despite some needed tweaks, that has gotten rid of alot of distracting and over-emphasized lines all over the screen.

8. Misc. others

In the meantime, the complaints (all very easy tweaks) seem to be mostly:

1. There's too much grey.

2. We want more contrasting colors so new posts leap out at us.

3. A (very annoying) IE6.0 bug for those using that browser.

4. The graemlins are missing.

5. I don't like to see ads that help to support the costs and maintenance of a resource that I spend loads of time on and really like. You moved them and now I'm angry.

6. We need to get the "replied to" text back.

While I'm all in favor of making adjustments to the boards so that everyone here has a good experience, the sheer drama of the complaints is a bit much. "I'm blind!" "THIS SUUUCCCCKKKSSS!!!!!!" "I have a massive headache, I need a vacation from the boards!!" etc. etc. I mean... wow.

In summary, the evil effects of this "massive upheaval" are exaggerated. I understand that we're all creatures of habit, but c'mon. If anyone has a nervous breakdown over that short and fairly trivial list of issues, they might want to re-think their priorities.

you very specifically and purposefully left off the evil side-scrolling nested quote thing from the list of problems. the implication is that you don't intend to fix it. for that you should be strung up by your nethers and forced to listen to the theme song for "Who's the Boss?" until your frontal lobe either dissolves or explodes

:kidaround:

Mea culpa! It's on the list, I swear! No "Who's the Boss!?"!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Pretty much my only concern right now... I am sure there will be a couple of other surprises down the road, but for now, that's the major issue.

I don't know if I am the only one here, but I am happy with this new scrolling quote feature! Although; it would be nice if the box was a little wider.

It was such a pain in the A S S to have to go through 2 pages of stupid graemlins, to get to the next post in a discussion that I was interested in!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :sumo:

John :cool:

• Administrator
I'm just glad to see that the forums are as filled with mutual respect and love as they have always been. Thank you all for your patience and your balanced and positive feedback.

That's sarcasm.

;):whistle:

Arch, not to be sacastic myself, but you guys have managed to pull this forum together as one in their (pick one, or all ) hate, disgust, displeasure, dissapointment, frustration etc.

Yeah we are all a bunch of fuddy duddies who hate change. On the old site I felt like I was on "The" CGC Forums! If you changed the background colors you almost feel like you are here http://forum.stlcomics.com/ except it has a warmer fuzzy feeling there. I'm just not getting that with the new site.

I'm also one who has IE6 not because I love it, it is because 90% of the software I need to use at work and some that I use from home does not work with IE7 or FireFox.

Well, see, now I get all of that. I'm happy to address it and make sure we tweak things up. I just don't think we all ought to van gogh our ears off in grief while we do it. I appreciate the feedback. (hug)

some are understanding

some love it

some nitpick

Yes, I am supposed to be above them. And dangit if that worthless admin had given me my graemlins I'd insert an angel losing his halo and wings! FREAKING insufficiently_thoughtful_person ADMINS! AAAAAAAAAAA!!!! (clawing my eyes out)

;)

I especially like how we can be "online" and "offline" at the same time... lol <<<