• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 9, 11 & 12

6 posts in this topic

Sorry I don't have back cover scans so assume there is nothing deleterious to detract from and the back cover is commensurate with the front cover in terms of appearance/grade (and my scans are through the mylar sleeve)

ASM #9 I love the look of this book but some owner at one time put protective tape over the staples...nothing wrong with the staples, it's as if they did this as a reinforcing measure to "protect" the book but there is nothing wrong with the staples in fact they're tight...

SPIDERMAN9FN-VF.jpg

ASM #11 Love this cover!

SPIDERMAN11FN-VF.jpg

ASM #12 one of my all time favorite covers! color pull lower left.

SPIDERMAN12VF-.jpg

I think you'd be looking at a "Qualified" grade on the ASM #9 as the book is a common silverage and as you stated...doesn't require tape as staples are firm.

I'd say from the scan 7.0 just to humour you with a grade ( tough to do in the bag with no back cover shot ) so... 7.0 (Q)

ASM #11 - 5.5 ( Fine - )

ASM #12 - 5.5 ( Fine - )

I've seen GA books with tape on the staples with the universal label...does CGC have varying distinctions on when they will give the universal vs qualified for the same feature?
I think each book will be reviewed individually on a case by case scenario.

I've seen many GA's get the Universal label. Does age play a factor in getting the Universal label??? I say yes... I think original owners of GA's didn't know any better...and because there are fewer copies then silverage..I believe that's a factor also. The biggest factor in my opinion is the overall grade of the book. If the book is in a range of 1.0 to a 7.0 tape will sometimes be taken as a flaw... As the grades get higher... it's tougher to fault a book if it's high grade. I think it would be unfair to give an otherwise 9.2 or higher book a much lower grade for tape on a GA or SA ( of course, the amount and placement of the tape should be considered also)...

In the case of your ASM, I think it reaches a threshold grade that the grade should be qualified otherwise you're taking a decent looking copy and probably going to lower it to a VG/F to Fine minus range when it has nice appeal.

I think you'll see many collectors will have a different take on this... that's just my two cents worth.

There was a Marvel Bullpen item back, I think, in 1965-66 that described a fan who put tape all the way down the spines of his Marvels. It was noted that this would be a great way to preserve your comics for the future. :eek:

Tape on an early Spider-Man = a concientious fan circa 1965

Dennis

I think you'd be looking at a "Qualified" grade on the ASM #9 as the book is a common silverage and as you stated...doesn't require tape as staples are firm.

I'd say from the scan 7.0 just to humour you with a grade ( tough to do in the bag with no back cover shot ) so... 7.0 (Q)

ASM #11 - 5.5 ( Fine - )

ASM #12 - 5.5 ( Fine - )

Agree with the grade completely.

7Q - 5.5 - 5.5