• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If I want to Regrade a PGX to CGC should I remove it from case?

23 posts in this topic

If I want to Re grade a PGX to CGC should I remove it from case? and send it in? or should i just sent it in the PGX case (with a letter allowing them to remove it) what would be the best way to do it? and do they get influenced with the grade it got at PGX if i send it that way? any help would be great! THANKS! (thumbs up

call them to see if they'll crack the PGX slab for you with a letter permitting them. That'll probably work.

and..No... they won't be influenced by the grade PGX gave it as it isn't received by the graders when registered... the graders don't know any previous history to the book to keep things unbiased and impartial.

Funny I often wondered this but never asked. Thanks guys I have several PGX (well CGG at that time) books that I was considering getting graded by CGC at some point in time.

This is just speculation on my part, but I do think CGC would want you to remove the books themselves. It's more work for them and I don't think they would want to take the risks of damage (however small they are)

Crack them yourself, lots of fun and easy (thumbs up (plus cheaper shipping to CGC)

Do a search for threads about this topic, it has been discussed many times in depth.

But even without that you should be able to get it out safely, Take a look at the outershell it is easily popped open at the corner posts, then you must get out the comic from the innerwell.. On a PGX comic you will need scissors or a utility knife. A CGC innerwell can be pulled apart safely most of the time.

Go slow if you are unsure about it until you get the hang of cutting the book out.

Ze-

You're a lot rougher with that book than I would be! whatthe

• I almost never lay an older comic flat on a table and open it as it will stress the staples. I hold the book in my hand or inside a manilla folder and open it. This way the spine is never open a full 180 degrees. Propping the book inside a manila folder is best as then fingerprints or moisture won't touch cover.

• I put the comic on the Fullback backing board FIRST, then carefully slide both into the Mylite2.

• Although, I actually enjoyed watching how someone else does it.

• Maybe I need help. hm

I almost never lay an older comic flat on a table and open it as it will stress the staples. I hold the book in my hand or inside a manilla folder and open it. This way the spine is never open a full 180 degrees. Propping the book inside a manila folder is best as then fingerprints or moisture won't touch cover.

Seems hard to read the book that way... (shrug)

I put the comic on the Fullback backing board FIRST, then carefully slide both into the Mylite2.

I do it that way as well...sometimes.Depends on the mylar I'm using.

Sometimes I like to use the fullboard as a sort of wedge inside the edges of the mylar; so that the comic doesn't catch any part of the mylar when moving down.

I put the comic on the Fullback backing board FIRST, then carefully slide both into the Mylite2.

Sometimes I like to use the fullboard as a sort of wedge inside the edges of the mylar; so that the comic doesn't catch any part of the mylar when moving down.

(thumbs u

If you are really concerned about an edge snagging on the mylar, sandwich the book between two backing boards and slide it in. Once it's safely in place, lift out the backing board that was protecting the front of the book. :banana:

(thumbs u

If you are really concerned about an edge snagging on the mylar, sandwich the book between two backing boards and slide it in. Once it's safely in place, lift out the backing board that was protecting the front of the book. :banana:

Good advice !

Somebody should make a video on "comic book safety" hm

I almost never lay an older comic flat on a table and open it as it will stress the staples. I hold the book in my hand or inside a manilla folder and open it. This way the spine is never open a full 180 degrees. Propping the book inside a manila folder is best as then fingerprints or moisture won't touch cover.

Seems hard to read the book that way... (shrug)

I would agree with Zip, but would add it depends on where the staples are placed that dictates how far I open a book when reading it. But cradled in the hand allows you to read the book while protecting the spine from cracking, or creating staple stress marks.

Also when you are going through a book that is laying flat, it may sound like overkill but I use a painters mixing spatula to open the book and turn the pages. It does not stress out the edge or corners and allows you to easily get between pages held fast from friction as opposed to the "lick your fingers to turn a stubborn page" method..(and yes that last parts is a joke.) But people do it all the time.

Ze-

[

Also when you are going through a book that is laying flat, it may sound like overkill but I use a painters mixing spatula to open the book and turn the pages. It does not stress out the edge or corners and allows you to easily get between pages held fast from friction as opposed to the "lick your fingers to turn a stubborn page" method..(and yes that last parts is a joke.) But people do it all the time.

Jebus Kenny, you take all the fun out of reading funny books lol

Next you'll be telling me that you don't roll up the book and stick it in your backpocket when your halfway through reading (shrug)