• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Homeowners Insurance and Comics

27 posts in this topic

I gotta add that if you're solely worried about theft, don't worry. Buy a 9mm, .357 or 12 gauge for protection. You could do this with one year's premium on an insurance contract..

What if you are not home when you get robbed?

The booby traps and rottweilers insure containment. Once you feed the heads to the hogs, you've then got a "leave-no-trace" experience.

I go through USAA and they have a seperate rider to my Homeowner's Insurance policy specifically for coins, stamps, and other collectables. It works exactly the same for electronic equipment (comuters, tvs, etc) and jewllery. I pay probably around $25-$30 extra a year for the coverage and it provides me in the ballpark of $10,000.00 coverage. For many of you, I know that's not enough, but it covers mine.

When we rent a house, we also had these rider's on our renter's insurance as well, and simply had them transferred to the home policy when we bought our house last July. It's not hard-- just give your rep a call for more info.

I gotta add that if you're solely worried about theft, don't worry. Buy a 9mm, .357 or 12 gauge for protection. You could do this with one year's premium on an insurance contract..

The booby traps and rottweilers insure containment. Once you feed the heads to the hogs, you've then got a "leave-no-trace" experience.

Picking through the pig crrap for the undigested hair is a nightmare! It's better to go to your local chemical company and get about 20 gallons of acid, fill the tub and have a party!

John :gossip:

Insurance for theft has been talked about but I'm surprised no one has mentioned about cover for fire or water damage. My insurance company also advised me to take photographs for use if there was a claim.

Insurance for theft has been talked about but I'm surprised no one has mentioned about cover for fire or water damage. My insurance company also advised me to take photographs for use if there was a claim.

Go back and read my post. I lost a large collection to fire.

Then it's called a burglary. lol

This is an interesting thread. It appears that some companies cover collectibles and some do not. If anyone has a company that covers their collection under basic homeowner insurance, please post the name of the company!

I used to have State Farm, and they covered my comics, but told me to photograph things and keep records. Then they changed to only covering a small amount for collectibles--I think it was $1,000. I asked about getting a rider to cover the comics, and they wanted a hunder dollars per year per thousand dollars of value! Absurd.

I've since dropped State Farm for other reasons, and haven't looked into the coverage with my new company.

According to my agent, Homeowner's insurance policies used to have greater coverage for collectibles, but they got taken to the cleaners after the crash of the Baseball card market and subsequent claims of "theft". After that the riders became quite expensive. I recommend trying CIA.