• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: SILVER AGE SURVIVOR SERIES - Round 16

Choose the next comic to depart  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the next comic to depart

111 posts in this topic

Changed my vote from Hulk last round to X-Men this round. I agree that X-Men is more of a bronze phenomenon than a silver one.

As for Showcase #4, it's a significant book. Sure, Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman were still going in the 1950s, but the quality of the stories was not the greatest. Wasn't Batman squarely in his SF adventures around 1956? He would have been better off being cancelled in 1949 then resurrected like Flash and Green Lantern.

I also agree this game is going to come down to AF 15 v. FF 1.

I just hope the participants will be properly ordered next time, and none of this DC-centric screwing around. (tsk)

Good catch on that, I had not noticed it until you mentioned it.

C

I literally cannot believe that X-Men #1 could be eliminated before Showcase #4.

First appearance of X-Men & Magneto, introduction of Mutants, and setting the groundwork for the most popular and lucrative franchise at Marvel.

vs.

The lame revamp of an existing GA character.

But Showcase 4 is a much better read... :gossip:

I voted for X-Men #1. If you're asking across the history of comics whether the X-Men franchise or the Flash(es) are more significant, then certainly X-Men would win that question.

But that's not what is being asked.

Instead the question is which individual book is more significant: Showcase #4 is the first successful post-Golden Age new super-hero launch, though he does happen to share a name and powers with his Golden Age predecessor. But it is a different guy, different supporting cast, different costume, different (science fiction) vibe, in short a different character. A very different situation from the revival of Cap or Sub-Mariner in the Silver Age.

X-Men #1 is significant for the first Magneto, Prof. X and Cyclops, who were at least along for the ride during the bronze age success of the franchise. I'm not counting Marvel Girl, since it was her significant re-vamping as Dark Phoenix that made her significant in the later series. I guess if you think the strength of the New X-Men is primarily built off the strength of Cyclops, Xavier and Magneto as characters, then you could make a case for X-Men #1 was a Top 5 SA book. Or if you think the concept of mutants as super-heroes/villains was particularly revolutionary by 1963. I just have a different view. (shrug)

I just hope the participants will be properly ordered next time, and none of this DC-centric screwing around. (tsk)

It's a classic visual trick, mis-ordering Showcase 4 between AF 15 and FF 1, then putting Hulk 1 and X-Men 1 at the bottom.

It's a classic visual trick, mis-ordering Showcase 4 between AF 15 and FF 1, then putting Hulk 1 and X-Men 1 at the bottom.

Not a problem. I'm sure you'd have no problem then with reordering the last one to put Brave and the Bold 28 in its real place as well. Same with the one where Adventure 247 wasn't in alphabetical order either. (thumbs u

I'm sure there's a deep conspiracy theory behind all of this. That damned OVERSTREET! Not having the books in alphabetical order in a list of most valuable comics!

I voted for X-Men #1. If you're asking across the history of comics whether the X-Men franchise or the Flash(es) are more significant, then certainly X-Men would win that question.

But that's not what is being asked.

Instead the question is which individual book is more significant: Showcase #4 is the first successful post-Golden Age new super-hero launch, though he does happen to share a name and powers with his Golden Age predecessor. But it is a different guy, different supporting cast, different costume, different (science fiction) vibe, in short a different character. A very different situation from the revival of Cap or Sub-Mariner in the Silver Age.

X-Men #1 is significant for the first Magneto, Prof. X and Cyclops, who were at least along for the ride during the bronze age success of the franchise. I'm not counting Marvel Girl, since it was her significant re-vamping as Dark Phoenix that made her significant in the later series. I guess if you think the strength of the New X-Men is primarily built off the strength of Cyclops, Xavier and Magneto as characters, then you could make a case for X-Men #1 was a Top 5 SA book. Or if you think the concept of mutants as super-heroes/villains was particularly revolutionary by 1963. I just have a different view. (shrug)

always a great post from this guy. :golfclap: