• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Ode to Long Island

30 posts in this topic

I am and always will be a native Long Islander (grew up in Jericho). Even though I have absolutely NO interest in ever moving back I always say I am a NYer, but specifically LI'er, "temporarily" living in Maryland/Virginia/DC.

For my fellow Long Islanders, I present you:

LONG ISLAND - Ain't it true

You live in the shadow of the greatest city in the world,

but you almost never go there.

When you're away from Long Island , you love it

and when you're there, you don't.

You think if you're not from Long Island or NYC,

you're not really from New York

You know the exact point at which Queens

turns into Nassau simply on intuition.

You don't go to Manhattan, you go to "The City".

You never realize you have an accent till you leave.

Everything north of the Bronx is "upstate." New Jersey sucks.

At some point in your life you've gone clamming.

Either your parents or your grandparents lived in the city.

You'd pay $11.50 for a movie.

You don't live in Long Island, You live ON Long Island

Your distant future might involve the state of Florida

You can correctly pronounce places like

Ronkonkoma, Hauppauge, Wantagh, Mineola, Islandia, and Massapequa

You know the location of 6 malls and a dozen McDonalds

and 36 7-11's.

You never, ever want to "change at Jamaica ..."

You've tried to find the Amityville Horror house.

No, you don't want mustard on that burger!!

You can't understand why a diner would ever close.

You've had a seagull on your car.

You have or someone you know has fallen asleep on the LIRR

and ended up in one of these three places;

Babylon, Port Washington or Hicksville .

You know White Castle is terrible for you

and the food sucks but you periodically "Get the Crave".

You want the Yankees to stay in the Bronx ,

but would probably go to more games if they moved to Manhattan

You think that somehow, the Jets and Giants still play in New York

You've missed that "Drunk Train", the 2:42 out of Penn

and had the dreaded wait until 5:30.

You or someone you know has owned an animal

that came from North Shore Animal League.

Quick! Who's your county Executive ? Don't know do you?!

You've never taken an MTA bus.

The Long Island Expressway isn't really as bad as everybody thinks.

You don't associate Fire Island with gay men.

You know which parts of the godfather were filmed on Long Island

You think Islip MacArthur airport is cute

and you enjoy watching it grow up.

Billy Joel said it best,

"either you date a rich girl from The North Shore,

or a cool girl from the South Shore ".

You don't really see the big deal about the Hamptons ,

unless you got smashed at the Bordy Barn.

When people ask "where are you from?"

you answer Long Guy Land and automatically assume everyone in the world knows that answer means New York .

You've always liked Billy Joel and you own several of his "records."

The Belt Parkway sucks! You've been stuck in a traffic jam for more than 2 hours (without moving).

Your parents took you to All American, Nathan's or Carvel

(on the way home from the beach).

Regular gas - $3.29 and you still pay it!!!

You hate paying tolls.

You don't have to go far to see your family.

You remember Grumman.

You know the color of the water at Jones Beach is not BLUE!

You were upset when all the Roy Rogers turned into Wendy's and Arby's closed for good.

You can spout off all the LIRR stops between

Penn Station and Huntington ..

Paying $35 for a haircut doesn't sound so crazy.

You think the people from Brooklyn are

"da wunz dat tawk wit a accent."

You went sledding in the sumps.

You knew of Massapequa before

the Amy Fisher-Joey Buttafuoco nightmare.

You think going to Queens is a hike.

The first time you heard the term " Long Island Iced Tea"

you were somewhere else and you laughed.

When you live somewhere else and are astounded

to see that people actually stop at yellow lights.

When you just sort of presume that wherever you live, you'll be able to find good delis, good pizza, and good bagels.

You can name at least three bands that came from Long Island

When you walk in the city and you see two men holding hands... it becomes normal to you.

No word ends in an ER, just an AH.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Long Island (thumbs u

Haven't heard the word "sump" used in over 20 years. Grew up in Howard Beach but spent every summer day in Long Beach L.I. and played hockey at every rink on the Island.

BTW the LIE is that bad. Not as bad as the belt but close. We have Robert Moses to thank for that.

When you just sort of presume that wherever you live, you'll be able to find good delis, good pizza, and good bagels.

That's about all I miss about Long Island. Some days I totally crave a pizza with thin crispy crust DONE RIGHT and they are very few and far between here. I miss the comic cons as well... that's about it.

Grew up upstate, spend 15 years living in Lynbrook and working in Manhattan, moved back upstate. :hi:

grew up in Southampton, have no desire to ever go back and deal with the "citidiots" that have taken over.

Haven't heard the word "sump" used in over 20 years. Grew up in Howard Beach but spent every summer day in Long Beach L.I. and played hockey at every rink on the Island.

BTW the LIE is that bad. Not as bad as the belt but close. We have Robert Moses to thank for that.

The LIE is definitely THAT bad!!! :tonofbricks: But I still find it amazing that most people don't understand there is a service road running alongside a good part of it and no uses it! :gossip:

We had a "sump" behind our house in Jericho. It was great. Used to go back there every Summer to capture caterpillars. :banana:

That's about all I miss about Long Island. Some days I totally crave a pizza with thin crispy crust DONE RIGHT and they are very few and far between here. I miss the comic cons as well... that's about it.

Grew up upstate, spend 15 years living in Lynbrook and working in Manhattan, moved back upstate. :hi:

The pizza there is MUCH better than down here in the DC area. The water apparently. :(

I used to sell comics once a month on a Sunday at the Holiday Inn in Rockville Centre during 1984-85. The show was run by a store Cosmic Comics (Ken something) I believe.

The LIE is definitely THAT bad!!! :tonofbricks: But I still find it amazing that most people don't understand there is a service road running alongside a good part of it and no uses it! :gossip:

We had a "sump" behind our house in Jericho. It was great. Used to go back there every Summer to capture caterpillars. :banana:

Ah! The old service road. I know it's not far into the Island but does anyone remember the Broadway deli in 5 towns? They had a 3 pound sandwhich called the godfather and the best rice pudding in the world.

I also remember the endless trips out to Roosevelt field and the surrounding area to go furniture shopping at all the outlet stores.

Ah! The old service road. I know it's not far into the Island but does anyone remember the Broadway deli in 5 towns? They had a 3 pound sandwhich called the godfather and the best rice pudding in the world.

I also remember the endless trips out to Roosevelt field and the surrounding area to go furniture shopping at all the outlet stores.

Anyone remember going to the old racetrack there at Roosevelt Field? I hit my first exacta there! :headbang:

Stop sharing our secret about the service road with the "out of towners" :baiting:

Stop sharing our secret about the service road with the "out of towners" :baiting:

Me bad. :sorry:

You right. lol (thumbs u

Anyone remember going to the old racetrack there at Roosevelt Field? I hit my first exacta there! :headbang:

Never went for the races, but they did have a flea market there.

Yep, I remember it well!!

Yup. I remember that huge flea market in the early 90s. They leveled the old stadium now it's all chain restaurants and movie theaters.

Kinda sad considering what a historic site it was. That's where Charles Lindbergh departed for his trans Atlantic journey.

I used to sell comics once a month on a Sunday at the Holiday Inn in Rockville Centre during 1984-85. The show was run by a store Cosmic Comics (Ken something) I believe.

Before my time. I moved to LI in 90 and went to the RVC shows in the 90s. The best dealer there at the time was Vincent's Collectibles (Vincent Zurzolo before he joined Metro).

It was Ken Diamond from Cosmic Comics.

Even though I live in Queens I rarely go to Long Island. When I was young my mother used to take me to Jones Beach and I have gone a bunch of times when I was an inventory supervisor at my old job but thats about it. One thing I will say is the women in LI are gorgeous :thumbsup:

We're in the Syosett / Woodbury area right now. Visited Tedd Roosevelt's home and museum, and then off to Jones Beach this evening for a walkabout.

LI is nice, but the parkways and expressways are hellacious. One big shoving match.

And I have to disagree-- there is no pizza better than what you'll find in the LI/NYC area. I'm from Upstate originally (true upstate-- along Lake Ontario) and even we have learned to respect the great NY Pizza. I'll broach no response to the contrary ;)

I grew up in Merrick......hated it......don't miss it. It was like the Zappa song says: "Centerville, it's got churches and liquor stores. Plastic people, oh baby, now, you're such a drag". :hi:

I will never move back zzz

But looking back and now living in Fla, I miss..........

Pizza

Bagels

Egg rolls

Pastami/Brisket/Corned Beef on RYE

Playing in a band at the Brokerage in Bellmore

South Merrick girls dressed to kill at 17

Yankee Peddler bar on Merrick Ave (Drinking age was 18 back then and started going when I was 15. Had to celebrate my 18th birthday there as a 21 year old lol )

The Grateful Dead playing a 3 to 5 night run in Nassau Coliseum and a 5 to 9 night run in The Garden and going to every one of the shows.

Frisbee with friends at Eisienhower park.

BUT MOST IMPORTANT:LIVING NEAR NYC...MUSIC...FOOD....CULTURE......BEING WHO EVER YOU ARE...COMIC BOOK CONVENTIONS :pullhair: