• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age OA?

33 posts in this topic

Anyone have any sources for GA OA? I'm interested in DC or Timely superhero pieces.

6ewt4xs.jpg

Timely Super-hero art is extremely rare . . .

VERY RARE YES!!! But they look soooooo COOL! :o(worship)

Very nice Terry!!!

-Hart

Unbelievable. Thanks for posting the scan.

Hope no-one got the wrong impression, here - the scan was taken from Heritage's archives.

Not my art.

I did have a scan of an early (1940s) CAPTAIN AMERICA splash somewhere, but it looks as though I accidentally deleted it from my files.

Anyone have any sources for GA OA? I'm interested in DC or Timely superhero pieces.

As a matter of interest . . . 'Gasa' . . . tell us a little something about yourself. Who you are . . . your background history as a collector . . . why the interest in GA Timely and DC original art, etc.

Most collectors here are known to one another.

As a new member of our community, it would be nice to know a little bit more about you - as it's difficult relating to someone who has next to no information on their site profile.

Presumably you'll know this type of art, which is very thin on the ground, is unlikely to come cheap if/when it surfaces. I take you got KRAZY money to spend on this stuff?

Thanks for the headsup, Mister Trent.

Let's see...I've collected as an adult since the early 90's, on and off. I used to write a column for Comic Book Marketplace magazine in the Gary Carter days. Also wrote an article for CBM #21 on the Kirby monster books. I wrote the cover article for OPG #24 on the X-Men.

I like DC and Timely superhero gold and silver, sometimes other stuff.

I don't know a lot about original art, I have a little SA original art. I guess my interest came when I started visiting Jack and Roz Kirby in CA when they were alive, and being blown away by what he had accomplished, and seeing some of his original art collection of his own work.

Actually, I don't know anything about the costs of GA original art, so anything you can tell me would be helpful, I'm a beginner here.

Let me know if this info helps.

Thanks for the headsup, Mister Trent.

Let's see...I've collected as an adult since the early 90's, on and off. I used to write a column for Comic Book Marketplace magazine in the Gary Carter days. Also wrote an article for CBM #21 on the Kirby monster books. I wrote the cover article for OPG #24 on the X-Men.

I like DC and Timely superhero gold and silver, sometimes other stuff.

I don't know a lot about original art, I have a little SA original art. I guess my interest came when I started visiting Jack and Roz Kirby in CA when they were alive, and being blown away by what he had accomplished, and seeing some of his original art collection of his own work.

Actually, I don't know anything about the costs of GA original art, so anything you can tell me would be helpful, I'm a beginner here.

Let me know if this info helps.

John Townsend?

As has already been explained in various responses, very little GA original art (from Timely and DC) is known to have survived. Other publishers, like EC and Harvey, retained their art.

The work you're interested in does surface from time time - but as is the case for most of us, you have to monitor the latest offerings from eBay, dealers and auction houses. You could also leave your 'wants' list with those individuals or auctioneers who have a proven track-record for unearthing this stuff . . .

Talking about unearthing, I must unearth my back issues of CBM to look for some of the features you mention.

Funnily enough, I myself contributed a few pieces to the Russ Cochran-edited mags . . .

Yes, my name is John Townsend.

Well, thanks for letting me know how the hunt goes in this area. Sounds like a person needs a lot of patience.

What sort of articles did you write?

Yes, my name is John Townsend.

Well, thanks for letting me know how the hunt goes in this area. Sounds like a person needs a lot of patience.

What sort of articles did you write?

EC Artwork Auctions (COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE # 85)

Greatest Comic Book Ever (COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE # 112)

Mike Burkey's site is incredible. Thanks for the tip, guys.

Are you looking at CAF at all, John??

If you see something of interest, there's no harm sending the Gallery owners messages along the lines of . . .

"If you ever decide to sell this, please bear me in mind as a potential buyer."

Thanks, Terry (is that correct?). I wasn't really delving into CAF until you mentioned it, wow, there's a lot of cool stuff there. However, when I went into the Galleries, it seems there are probably a couple of thousand people showing their stuff. While I found out how to search the art that is on sale, I couldn't find a way to search for GA in the material in the Galleries. Any shortcuts?, or do I just go owner by owner?

Hey there --

I think you can search the member galleries once you are in that section...there should be a search box in the upper right-hand corner. Obviously you can't search all GA with this, but put in character names or comic titles and it should reveal anything that's in there. Hope this helps --

Dan

Thanks for the help, Dan. I can navigate CAF better now. Had no idea what was out there, and just spent the morning going through. Love the material from Berk, Oliva, Donnelly and Stein.

I am starting to understand just how little DC/Timely superhero GA actually exists, and how infrequently it shows up on the marketplace.

BTW, some of the comments mentioned a Kozlak GA original art collection unearthed in Minnesota in the 90's. Anyone have any info on that?

OK, I'm on the learning curve now. Appreciate any answers from those of you in the know:

-Is there any sort of credible price guide for GA/SA Original Art? How is Weist's viewed?

-Is there a significant price differential between unpublished and published GA art?

-What is the story on that Kozlak find?