• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which grade is overall better (not only number but pages as an overall)

37 posts in this topic

lol.. I have the 9.2 with OW/W... I dunno if i should go after a 9.2 with CREAM to OW or an 8.5 with WPs?..

If you've already got a 9.2 OW/W, then go for a 9.2 W or better. Upgrade!

I don't know...when you consider that the grade takes into account the page quality, it seems the answer is obvious. (shrug)

That's not true. The numerical grade does not consider page quality unless it is tanned or brittle. They note page quality on the label exactly because it is not factored into the grade.

The very highest grades may be impacted by cream pages (9.6 or higher), but there are plenty of 9.4s and below with Cream pages that were not reduced by the PQ.

I don't know...when you consider that the grade takes into account the page quality, it seems the answer is obvious. (shrug)

That's not true. The numerical grade does not consider page quality unless it is tanned or brittle. They note page quality on the label exactly because it is not factored into the grade.

The very highest grades may be impacted by cream pages (9.6 or higher), but there are plenty of 9.4s and below with Cream pages that were not reduced by the PQ.

Actually, per my discussion with Steve Borock and Mark Haspel a few years ago, they started putting the PQ on the labels due to requests from dealers/collectors, as the earliest slabs did not the PQ noted. The PQ does get factored into the grade in that it provides a limit for what a book can get based on the PQ. For example, an other 9.4 book with less than COW pages will get marked down to a lower numeric grade. A few years ago, Neatstuff had a double cover Wonder Woman book in which the inner cover was a 9.4 but the outer cover was a 8.5. The overall grade given was 8.5 because the PQ was tan to off-white, which was not allowable in the 9.4 grade.

Actually, per my discussion with Steve Borock and Mark Haspel a few years ago, they started putting the PQ on the labels due to requests from dealers/collectors, as the earliest slabs did not the PQ noted. The PQ does get factored into the grade in that it provides a limit for what a book can get based on the PQ. For example, an other 9.4 book with less than COW pages will get marked down to a lower numeric grade. A few years ago, Neatstuff had a double cover Wonder Woman book in which the inner cover was a 9.4 but the outer cover was a 8.5. The overall grade given was 8.5 because the PQ was tan to off-white, which was not allowable in the 9.4 grade.

Right and this doesn't conflict with what I stated because I noted that books could be downgraded for tan and/or brittle. But, CR/OW shouldn't affect anything less than 9.6. If I am mistaken, PLMK.