• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man, am I stupid

12 posts in this topic

Around the beginning of the year, I decided to Un-poly my collection. Since then, I have purchased 5000 Mylites and Half-backs from E-Gerber in various installments and I have converted my entire collection to mylar and acid-free boards. When I was first getting ready to take the plunge, I wrestled with the decision between Mylites and Mylite2s for a few days. The price difference was not that much; little more than $0.04 per bag. However, given the quantities I was dealing with (I had over 4000 comics when I started the conversion and fully expected to be over 5000 by the time I would be finished. The $200.00 total difference is something I opted not to spend.

Well, this past week, I ran out of bags so I placed another order with E-Gerber. However, since now I only needed bags for books that I added to my collection, I knew it would take me no less than 6 months and likely a year or more to go through 1000 bags, which is what I bought, so I bought Mylite2s. I picked them up today and when I opened them and started bagging the boards, I grew very perturbed. Then I put a Mylite2 bagged book next to a Mylite bagged book and I grew even more perturbed. After 20 or so minutes of anger, I calmed down and began to calculate what 5000 Mylite2s would cost...

...oh well, live and learn. Hopefully there's a market out there for 5000 used Mylites.

Are you perturbed by the fact that you finally realized that the mylites2 are so superior to the regular mylites that the few hundred bucks saved isn't worth it! Should always go for quality if the price difference isn't significance! shocked.gif

Around the beginning of the year, I decided to Un-poly my collection. Since then, I have purchased 5000 Mylites and Half-backs from E-Gerber in various installments and I have converted my entire collection to mylar and acid-free boards. When I was first getting ready to take the plunge, I wrestled with the decision between Mylites and Mylite2s for a few days. The price difference was not that much; little more than $0.04 per bag. However, given the quantities I was dealing with (I had over 4000 comics when I started the conversion and fully expected to be over 5000 by the time I would be finished. The $200.00 total difference is something I opted not to spend.

Well, this past week, I ran out of bags so I placed another order with E-Gerber. ...

...oh well, live and learn. Hopefully there's a market out there for 5000 used Mylites.

I'll go a quarter apiece for any used mylite containing a 12 or 15 cent Marvel or DC. And a dime for any pre-1990 book from DC. Hope this helps.

Are you perturbed by the fact that you finally realized that the mylites2 are so superior to the regular mylites that the few hundred bucks saved isn't worth it! Should always go for quality if the price difference isn't significance! shocked.gif

Since all I buy is Mylite2s, I can guarantee you that's why he's perturbed...they're far superior to Mylites and as he says, not much more expensive.

Mylite 2s are great. Been using them for about a year and a half now and have just about completed the transferring of my decent books. Might have an inside on a collectin of several thousand that are stored in those inferior mylites soon.

I don't even offer the 1mil Mylites in my shop anymore... The 2's are just so much better.

And they more than pay for themselves at shows. A box of Silver Age all in Mylite2's will see about twice as many sales as a box of the 1mils. The books look better and feel better. The customer just feels like they are getting better quality.

I have also made the switch to Fullbacks for all my store inventory of Silver and Golden Age... They take up more room, but they make it very hard to "accidentally" bend a book, and the books just feel better in the hand...

Although in the quantities I have been buying it might be cheaper to fly out and rent a car to drive them back home. Those shipping charges are outrageous when you need 5,000 Fullbacks... frown.gif

'house,

When I buy bags and boards from E-Gerber, I always take the two and a half hour drive down to Baltimore to pick them up myself. The cost of less than $20 of gas and tolls is much more beareable than upwards of $60 in shipping costs plus I love to drive.

I prefer getting my supplies of Mylites2 from E. Gerber as well. I made a large purchase a couple of years ago, and I now have a 10% lifetime discount on all supplies from him. The fullbacks are the only way to go as well. I also buy a larger size than necessary for the comics as it helps give a buffer zone for corner dings. I dropped one once and the corner did bend, but the comic was about a half inch from the corner, and there was no damage to the comic.

Mike

I made a large purchase a couple of years ago, and I now have a 10% lifetime discount on all supplies from him.

How much did you buy to get to the lifetime discount?

The fullbacks are the only way to go as well. I also buy a larger size than necessary for the comics as it helps give a buffer zone for corner dings. I dropped one once and the corner did bend, but the comic was about a half inch from the corner, and there was no damage to the comic.

My biggest concern with the full-backs is the amount of space they take. I've gone over the limit of what I can keep in the closet with my 18 long-boxes. I can't imagine where I would ever be able to store twice the amount of long-boxes. With the half-backs, so long as the boxes don't have too much empty space, I never worry about the comics bending.