• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago -- My very first event attendance!

5 posts in this topic

Seeing as it will be my first visit to such an anticipated event, I want to avoid walking in wide-eyed and leaving light in the wallet.

My short list of what I'm shopping for on this trip is:

Tales of Suspense 39 (5.0 range)

ASM 1 (4.0 range)

Avengers 1 (6.0 range), 2, 5

X-men 1 (4.0 range), 5, 6

From the little I've read within this forum, I should focus on raw books and leave the cgc's for internet purchases. I'm going to wait until Sunday to attend -- in hopes that the last day will result in getting one on the list at a decent price. The way I like to price comics is using GP Analysis as a guide.

I'm seeking a little big brother advise regarding how to haggle on price.

Hey 'Ron The Wand' -- I'd love to attend, but my expecting wife would not be amused. I have a couple college buddies to visit while I'm in town from the tabcom compound in Fort Wayne. None of them, nor my wife, are comic book collectors.

You can contact your favorite dealer(s) and ask them to bring the issues your looking for. Keep in mind that some dealers tend to charge more at cons (to cover transportation costs, table fees, etc) than they do on their websites. It may be cheaper to have the dealer bring the books than try to bargain them down at the show. Something to consider.

Angelo

Seeing as it will be my first visit to such an anticipated event, I want to avoid walking in wide-eyed and leaving light in the wallet.

My short list of what I'm shopping for on this trip is:

Tales of Suspense 39 (5.0 range)

ASM 1 (4.0 range)

Avengers 1 (6.0 range), 2, 5

X-men 1 (4.0 range), 5, 6

From the little I've read within this forum, I should focus on raw books and leave the cgc's for internet purchases. I'm going to wait until Sunday to attend -- in hopes that the last day will result in getting one on the list at a decent price. The way I like to price comics is using GP Analysis as a guide.

I'm seeking a little big brother advise regarding how to haggle on price.

As for haggling, just don't be shy! The worst thing that can happen is for someone to walk by and not even look in the boxes to see whats there. The second worst thing is to see a price, think its too high and just walk away sad. Stop and take a look. Ask if there is any room to move. Make a counter-offer to the asking price. A dealer can only say 3 things: yes! no! or no, but I can go to this #! I might be able to help you with those books too if you PM me. Good Luck!