• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Books & Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

43 posts in this topic

Wikipedia:

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric disorder most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive, distressing, intrusive thoughts and related compulsions (tasks or "rituals") which attempts to neutralize the obsessions.

------------

I just wanted to know what every member of the CGC forums OCD habits are when it comes to collecting or handling comic books. By this I mean odd rituals that others might either laugh at, or recommend that you get psychiatric help. For example my habits include the following.

Before handling any book in my collection I have rules:

1. Nails must be trimmed

2. Hands washed throughly with soap and warm water

3. Apply Nitrale Latex & powder free surgical gloves

4. Hold the book flat in my right hand and flip ever-so-slightly with the left, but to far to crease spine.

5. Flip though my rare CGC collection with 2 thumbs.

6. If opening a Poly or Mylar throw out the tape, and never attempt reuse it again.

7. Also in our new house that is being built, the door to my comic room is comprised of a 16 gage steel frame. It is locked to vertically stiffened outside core positioned adjacent to pure stucco dry wall. The door alone consists of a Schlage bullet proof universal latch and a steel iron plated deadbolt, both of which require two different sets of keys. My late night burning Paranoia...

ect.

I know that I have plenty more, BUT I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOURS ARE!!

:makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

:insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane:

I chase my tail three revolutions to the right (left in the southern hemisphere) before resurrecting a book from a CGC coffin.

Wikipedia:

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric disorder most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive, distressing, intrusive thoughts and related compulsions (tasks or "rituals") which attempts to neutralize the obsessions.

------------

I just wanted to know what every member of the CGC forums OCD habits are when it comes to collecting or handling comic books. By this I mean odd rituals that others might either laugh at, or recommend that you get psychiatric help. For example my habits include the following.

1. Nails must be trimmed

4. Hold the book flat in my right hand and flip ever-so-slightly with the left, but to far to crease spine.

6. If opening a Poly or Mylar throw out the tape, and never attempt reuse it again.

7. Also in our new house that is being built, the door to my comic room is comprised of a 16 gage steel frame. It is locked to vertically stiffened outside core positioned adjacent to pure stucco dry wall. The door alone consists of a Schlage bullet proof universal latch and a steel iron plated deadbolt, both of which require two different sets of keys. My late night burning Paranoia...

ect.

Well, when I'm halfway through a Silver Age book and need to stop reading for a while ,I roll the book up, I stick it in my right backpocket. Never the left one, always the right backpocket (shrug)

I've got a question. If comics are so precious that most of you wash your hands prior to touching your prized possession, why don't most men then wash their hands prior to using the bathroom? I find that my "special member" is my number one prized possession, yet I wash my hands before touching a comic book but after using the urinal.

I've got a question. If comics are so precious that most of you wash your hands prior to touching your prized possession, why don't most men then wash their hands prior to using the bathroom? I find that my "special member" is my number one prized possession, yet I wash my hands before touching a comic book but after using the urinal.

Comic books aren't generally known to defacate. ...but then that only strengthens your argument. hm

I have always washed my hands before and after but never during.

Have you ever considered that this might be slightly...over-egging it...for your run of mid-grade Novas? (shrug)

Wikipedia:

------------

1. Nails must be trimmed

ect.

:makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

:insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane:

There is only one thing I do consistently whenever I read a comic. I have been doing this my whole life and make it a point to do it each and every time.

I read them with my eyes open.

The philosophical heights we regularly reach never fail to astound me.... meh

Best O' the Best... (thumbs u

2c

I have always washed my hands before and after but never during.

:signfunny:

Wikipedia:

------------

1. Nails must be trimmed

Wow! The door seems like a bit much, but to each his own. Does the room have windows? A de-humidifier? Can you post pictures?