• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Books & Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

43 posts in this topic

Wow! The door seems like a bit much, but to each his own. Does the room have windows? A de-humidifier? Can you post pictures?

I hope he's pouring a concrete floor and ceiling because someone could always cut up from the level below or above.

Then again, a jackhammer could get through concrete. hm Maybe a 6 inch steel plate above and below would be better.

And don't forget the window bars with 10 inch lag bolts secured to a steel lintel all the way around the window frame.

:whistle:

I live in an OCD world. EMS either attracts or creates OCD patients, there should be a study to determine which is the case.

I don't have rituals about reading or handling other than "be careful, dumb-." However, I can't stop or even slow down on buying comics and related materials. Even if I don't collect a particular title, I can't pass up a good price. And worse, even though I know I could flip for a tidy profit, I can't let it go because I got such a good deal.

I've got a question. If comics are so precious that most of you wash your hands prior to touching your prized possession, why don't most men then wash their hands prior to using the bathroom? I find that my "special member" is my number one prized possession, yet I wash my hands before touching a comic book but after using the urinal.

Comic books aren't generally known to defacate. ...but then that only strengthens your argument. hm

Wow....your unit defecates?

I don't know whether to be shocked or amazed. :o

I re-bag and board everything. I think the random God-knows-where-they've-been bags and boards you get from the LCS back issue bin, or at a convention, are just gross. I'd prefer my comics were new/ untouched but I know that's not possible.

I Prefer to cleanse myself of all impure thoughts before reading my books...so I can begin with a clear mind.

So I sit on my hand for 10 minutes and before I regain feeling I make sure to churn the butter...I call that "The Stranger".

(thumbs u

C

I have a storage file at my LCS where I keep 1/2 of my bags/boards when I buy them, I go through ALL the copies they have on wednesday morning (I'm usually the first or second there) and I bag/board them on the spot. No offence to my LCS employees, but I cringe if they touch the book first.. I make sure to put the book in so the price is facing outwards so it doesn't have to come out of the bag again until I get home.

When I get home, I wash my hands, put on my latex gloves, carefully place the comic AND board on the scanner, and slide the board carefully out from under the book. Then when it's time to flip the book over to scan the back cover, I again use the board along the whole spine edge to lift, hold, and flip. Repeat said steps to place the book back on the board. I always hold the book ''top-dead-center'' when placing it on the backing board from mid-air.

Then if I want to read the book right away, I keep the backboard on the back, holding it in my right hand, and carefully flip the cover open about 4-5 inches (just enough to see). Flip through the pages with gravity and inertia as helpers, then it's back in the bag and into the appropriate slot in my long-box next to the previous issue. (because I only have 1, but it's almost time to start another, or sell some..)

I think that's about it.. heh

Hmm... no really big neurotic ticks here. I just try to be careful with my books. Part of that probably lies in the fact that most of my books that are Silver Age are low-grades, I don't need to worry too much. :grin:

I have a storage file at my LCS where I keep 1/2 of my bags/boards when I buy them, I go through ALL the copies they have on wednesday morning (I'm usually the first or second there) and I bag/board them on the spot. No offence to my LCS employees, but I cringe if they touch the book first.. I make sure to put the book in so the price is facing outwards so it doesn't have to come out of the bag again until I get home.

When I get home, I wash my hands, put on my latex gloves, carefully place the comic AND board on the scanner, and slide the board carefully out from under the book. Then when it's time to flip the book over to scan the back cover, I again use the board along the whole spine edge to lift, hold, and flip. Repeat said steps to place the book back on the board. I always hold the book ''top-dead-center'' when placing it on the backing board from mid-air.

Then if I want to read the book right away, I keep the backboard on the back, holding it in my right hand, and carefully flip the cover open about 4-5 inches (just enough to see). Flip through the pages with gravity and inertia as helpers, then it's back in the bag and into the appropriate slot in my long-box next to the previous issue. (because I only have 1, but it's almost time to start another, or sell some..)

I think that's about it.. heh

Sounds alot like me :) :)

I've got a question. If comics are so precious that most of you wash your hands prior to touching your prized possession, why don't most men then wash their hands prior to using the bathroom? I find that my "special member" is my number one prized possession, yet I wash my hands before touching a comic book but after using the urinal.

I have always washed my hands before and after but never during.

Of course. Doesn't everyone? My hands are much dirtier than my p e n i s.

Ok, I just figured out my own little collecting mental issue. 1. I will not read a comic unless I'm reading it in it's original format- no TPBs, etc. The ONLY exception to this are those rare comics where I have NO chance in hell of ever owning (i.e. think of the MAJOR titles' 1st issues). 2. If a story is not started and completed in one-issue, I will not read the comics I own until I've got all of the issues that will complete the storyarc.

im obsessed with buying RARE GA comics.

i cant stop buying em.

ive started selling things, assets, to be able to afford the ones i see, the ones i rarely see.

i need help.

someone tell me to stop. i beg of you.............

:busy:

I Prefer to cleanse myself of all impure thoughts before reading my books...so I can begin with a clear mind.

So I sit on my hand for 10 minutes and before I regain feeling I make sure to churn the butter...I call that "The Stranger".

(thumbs u

C

:signfunny:

im obsessed with buying RARE GA comics.

i cant stop buying em.

ive started selling things, assets, to be able to afford the ones i see, the ones i rarely see.

i need help.

someone tell me to stop. i beg of you.............

I'll help you bud. The first thing you need to do is get rid of the books you have now, to remove future spending temptation. I'll help you there, just send all your books to me, and I'll see that they're properly taken care of. Man, I'm such a nice guy.

You really know how to enjoy comics meh

Can I assume that you are joking, if not you really have some serious issues. I won't even get my books graded because I can't read them. So I guess you don't read alot of comics while sitting on the can lol Do you breath while reading or do you hold your breath?

Wikipedia:

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric disorder most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive, distressing, intrusive thoughts and related compulsions (tasks or "rituals") which attempts to neutralize the obsessions.

------------

I just wanted to know what every member of the CGC forums OCD habits are when it comes to collecting or handling comic books. By this I mean odd rituals that others might either laugh at, or recommend that you get psychiatric help. For example my habits include the following.

Before handling any book in my collection I have rules:

1. Nails must be trimmed

2. Hands washed throughly with soap and warm water

3. Apply Nitrale Latex & powder free surgical gloves

4. Hold the book flat in my right hand and flip ever-so-slightly with the left, but to far to crease spine.

5. Flip though my rare CGC collection with 2 thumbs.

6. If opening a Poly or Mylar throw out the tape, and never attempt reuse it again.

7. Also in our new house that is being built, the door to my comic room is comprised of a 16 gage steel frame. It is locked to vertically stiffened outside core positioned adjacent to pure stucco dry wall. The door alone consists of a Schlage bullet proof universal latch and a steel iron plated deadbolt, both of which require two different sets of keys. My late night burning Paranoia...

ect.

I know that I have plenty more, BUT I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOURS ARE!!

:makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

:insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane:

I am not joking. My parents feel the same way you do. I am currently seeking treatment for this. I take 50 mg of Fluvoxamine twice a day.

Perhaps you should up the dosage... :insane:

My problem isn't in the handling of my collection, it's in the constant purchasing. I would have to say that I'm a compulsive shopper or shop-aholic. I simply can't quit. No kidding. I'm working on getting to the root of why I feel the need to keep buying more and more. Depression? Need for control? Need to complete collections or "fill holes?" Or is it even the thrill of getting something in the mail? I don't have an answer but when I do, I'll pass it on....