• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the highest possible grade for a silver age book with a sub crease

10 posts in this topic

I don't have a picture of a specific book, but this is a grading question, so I'm hoping I'm in the right spot:

What's the highest possible grade for a silver age book with a subscription crease? I've heard several answers, most of them around VG/F.....is there a definitive consensus for this question? Assume that the book would otherwise grade 8.0 or higher (without the crease).

Not really the right forum, but are you asking for CGC's grade? hm

The highest CGC grade that I have seen is a 4.5. I, however, have had much nicer books with a very light crease, that I wouldn't hesitate to grade a 6.0, as they leave other 6.0's in their shadow . . . :grin:

Everything depends on the level of the subscription crease to a certain degree...Divad is right on per his explanation...I seem to recall a previous Overstreet guide stating that a book with a subscription crease could not achieve a higher grade than VG 4.0 but my current 2007 edition does not mention this in any grades...again, even then, it would be in most people's minds the severity of the crease...

I can't believe they grade it higher than 4.0. How can a comic with a 10" crease be better than VG? I don't care if the crease is common due to subscription folding. A 10" crease is a 10" crease.

Some subscription copies don't have a 10 inch crease, because the fold didn't break color for the length of the book, and the bend has been pressed out over the years. I've got a few comics that you really have to look closely to tell they're subscription copies.

I'd say the vast majority of subscription copies are doomed to 4.0 or lower, but it's not impossible for them to be higher, 5.0 or perhaps higher in some cases.