• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is 9.8 hunting a form of gambling?

25 posts in this topic

I have been doing some research into the pros/cons of submitting common books in to CGC in the hopes of getting a 9.8 and raking in the big bucks. Its not surprising that a small percentage of books submitted actually get the 9.8 grade. What is surprising to me is that these issues are being submitted by "expert" graders and they can't come close to a 9.8 everytime. Since anything less than a 9.8 is a break-even transaction or a losing one - is it safe to say that people are gambling big time that they get a couple 9.8 to make it worth their time. The odds are probably better to just gamble at blackjack or craps. The only really big winner is CGC.

If submitting current books, it's actually not THAT hard to get 9.8s. For a time I was submitting probably 100-200 books a week, and was able to maintain a steady 70% 9.8 passing rate, and as high as 80%. Now getting 9.9s and 10.0s is the tough part. I was never able to get a 10.0 out of the many thousands I submitted.

What do you mean?

Personally in all my submissions to CGC where I pre-grade a book at 9.8 I have only been off twice. Overall in all my submissions ranging from 9.4-9.8 I have been off a total of 3 times..

Im talking about mostly copper and modern books dating from 1982-1993 that I purchased .. no recent stuff although I did send a batch in but has not been graded yet

MK,

You must be the exception to the rule since the CGC stats show a huge number of 9.4-9.6 X-Men from 200 - 300 and I would assume that most people submitted them to get the 9.8 since a 9.6 is only worth a little more than the sub fee.

I was only off on one X-Men book so far. Uncanny X-Men 164. I pre-graded the book at 9.8 and I was extremely shocked to see that it came back 9.6 . As I inspected the book I saw a ding on the back corner which was not there when I submitted it. Im assuming it happened during transition or handling.

Recently I have submitted a handful of borderline books to sell/trade with two that I need. In the past I have submitted a couple pre-graded at 9.6/9.8 and have received 9.8s on all of them so I figured why not submit them.

I dunno, some guy just gave away a bunch of slabbed x-men. Were they 9.6's? If you can't even sell them..........
You can sell 9.6s but it depends on the numbers. I looked at the census from 320-420 and noticed a bunch of books have very low submission numbers so I submitted a couple of 9.6s to help Kc120us with his run...

I dunno, some guy just gave away a bunch of slabbed x-men. Were they 9.6's? If you can't even sell them..........
That was me. There were two 9.4s, four 9.6s and a qualified 9.8. Basically they weren't worth spit and I wouldn't have paid for them either. I was tired of looking at them and I hope they got a good home going to alwaysbronze.

That was me. There were two 9.4s, four 9.6s and a qualified 9.8. Basically they weren't worth spit and I wouldn't have paid for them either. I was tired of looking at them and I hope they got a good home going to alwaysbronze.

Got an Action Comics #2 that you are tired of looking at? :insane:

You can sell 9.6s but it depends on the numbers. I looked at the census from 320-420 and noticed a bunch of books have very low submission numbers so I submitted a couple of 9.6s to help Kc120us with his run...
When are you going to come over and pre screen my 30 long boxes of books?? :banana:

When are you going to come over and pre screen my 30 long boxes of books?? :banana:
Any Saturday after August (thumbs u

Excellent, i better put some beers on ice, since you are legal now. :applause:

Excellent, i better put some beers on ice, since you are legal now. :applause:
:banana:

feel free to fly to alaska I've got 100+ long boxes for you to pre-screen here too.