• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: BRONZE AGE SURVIVOR SERIES- Round 1

Choose a comic to leave in ROUND 1  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Choose a comic to leave in ROUND 1

86 posts in this topic

Theres been a couple posts made regarding the All Star Western 10, the New Gods 1, and the ASM 101 but not that much regarding the Astonishing Tales 25. I mean honestly can someone even try and argue one way or the other that this book should even be on this list ? At least the Bat 227 has a top 2 or 3 cover in the Bronze Age along with Adams artwork and a classic storyline. Deathlok is a has been similar to how many other characters created in the Bronze Age, also has he ever had a series that lasted past 20 issues ? I see no reason whatsoever that book should have made it even in this round let alone last past the 1st.

1st Perez art work (shrug)

Not to mention that Deathlok was one of the meaner, darker and more reprehensible BA characters - a true killer who would wade through people like Dirty Harry on steroids. I can remember being shocked at the violence in his comic, and it even made it to mainstream comics like MTU.

He definitely had an influence on *darkening* other amoral BA characters like Punisher, Wolverine, etc. and . I don't get this "ooooh, a classic cover" BS in this type of poll, and I'd guarantee that Deathlok had more impact on the BA than a non-entity like Batman 227.

To turn your own arguments against you, if it hadn't been Deathlok, it would've been some other character. American society in general was turning darker and grittier, as evidenced by the trend in movies as described by the Peter Biskind movie that you cited. Sooner or later, the trend would've been mirrored in comics. You might as well cite Conan 14, the first appearance of Elric, who at least really was the first real anti-hero in the sword & sorcery genre which goes hand in hand with sci-fi and comics.

So if that's all the book has going for it, it doesn't deserve to survive very long in this list. Measured on his other merits, the facts are that the character was unsuccessful: his run in Astonishing Tales didn't go for very long and he never got his own title, until a prestige mini-series in the early 90s which probably did more to boost his popularity than his own run in AT ever did.

So if that's all the book has going for it, it doesn't deserve to survive very long in this list. Measured on his other merits, the facts are that the character was unsuccessful: his run in Astonishing Tales didn't go for very long and he never got his own title, until a prestige mini-series in the early 90s which probably did more to boost his popularity than his own run in AT ever did.

Oh, I totally agree, and think that Deathlok/AT 25 will have a short time on the list. My comments only related to the comparisons to Batman 227, which I feel is an even less important book.

Oh, I totally agree, and think that Deathlok/AT 25 will have a short time on the list. My comments only related to the comparisons to Batman 227, which I feel is an even less important book.

Okay, who are you and what have you done with the real JC?

oh yeah, leave Man Bat but vote out All Star Western

Exactly. This is a travesty. I didn't expect Hex to make it through but not the first round!

There is a definite pro-Man-Bat movement going on here.

oh yeah, leave Man Bat but vote out All Star Western

Exactly. This is a travesty. I didn't expect Hex to make it through but not the first round!

There is a definite pro-Man-Bat movement going on here.

I guess it's the Boards' own version of NAMBLA.