• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OtherEric

• Last visited

3 Followers

About OtherEric

• Birthday 05/17/1971

Recent Profile Visitors

6,237 profile views
  1. So, was looking at this book to post over in the new Platinum age forums, and spotted something I should have caught ages ago: The partially removed price sticker is 5d, which points to a UK sale. For a book published in 1938:
  2. I've only got a couple issues of the title that are old enough to qualify as "Platinum", but I figure it's a starting point, at least:
  3. @CGC Mike: Since we now do have a platinum age forum, perhaps this thread could be moved there?
  4. Gold Medal to Gold Medal. (If I knew where my copy of The Gods Hate Kansas was I would use that connection instead.)
  5. I saw it earlier, looks like it's been removed. So Eerie it is!
  6. Correct, although Steve already posted the Vampi #21. I'm good with either way, swapping the two since the Vampi is already up, or you just posting the Eerie and going forward.
  7. And a bunch more for the Ace run. Less than 100 D-Series doubles to go. Not a lot less, but still...
  8. The third book is new today, but I thought the set would be fun. I wonder why Avon got the third book when Ace got the first two? And why the obsession with changing titles?
  9. Hopping in late with the Eerie #43 thoughts before we really start on the Vampi #21. Eerie #43: Cover: It works better before you read the story it goes to. As generic monsters/ zombies, it's fine. As zombies that are also African-American caricatures? Not so fine. Monster Gallery: @Jayman covered this one better than I could have. Someday: It feels like this is trying to tell 3 or 4 different stories all mashed together. It does make very good use of Grandenetti's talents, though... I still don't like his art but this is some spectacular work by him, jumping though the various styles and situations the story needs with aplomb. Musical Chairs: It's a reworking of "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge", but very well done, with a hilarious pun in the title that only became clear at the very end. Bright Eyes: A solid story concept, with the best art we've seen from Corben yet... his earlier stories, we're partly enjoying seeing how his massive talent developed, but here it's all visible. To follow up on @Jayman's observation, the word shows up surprisingly often in 70's media, not just comics, and it's never easy to come across to a modern reader. But it does raise the point that DuBay, to put it as gently as I can given that I've only personally read a fairly small portion of his work as writer and editor, is at best notorious for being tone-deaf to racial concerns as a creator. We'll come across more examples as we go along, but for a preview read the index's entries on 1984/1994. The Hunt: I'm not sure the prologue is unnecessary, it really does matter that the planet is our future and post-apocalyptic to make the punchline work. But I'll grant that it's clumsy and overly long. Otherwise a fun riff on Planet of the Apes. Showdown: The story doesn't seem to hang together that well, but definitely some nice artwork by Suso, at least. Dax: Let the Evil One Sleep: I think we do get quite a bit of insight into Dax's character here, but otherwise I agree I don't see the series leading anywhere in particular at this point. Mortsafes: This is lore, not a monster. But a solid enough lore page, at least. Overall, this was a quite decent issue, but other than the Corben artwork not a lot that pushes this issue past average. But the books have been maintaining a decently high average recently. We'll see how things go once DuBay settles in as editor a bit more.
  10. One shilling sixpence to three shillings sixpence.