• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #252 - Certify or Not? (How Is the Grade Affected by Bends?)

11 posts in this topic

Hi gang,

I just acquired a Copper collection, which included several unread duplicates. Luckily, 4 of the duplicates are ASM #252. I am thinking of submitting them to CGC (3 out of the 5 look like STRICT 9.4s), BUT the owner did NOT board them and they have been standing upright for 20 years... *ugh* (you know where this is going).

Several of the books in the collection exhibit severe page bends on the bottom right of the front cover due to the stadning, while many came out fine. However, the ASM #252s exhibit SOME warping/bending, and I would like to know if they are worth submitting to CGC (I do not know how it affects the grade - as I said they look like STRICT 9.4s if you IGNORE the bending).

Right now, the nicest/most valuable books are in a longbox, which I have placed upright in the hopes of removing some of the bending - duck, here comes the 'pressing' assault. Some of the books already look better after one day of such 'treatment'.

Long story short.

(1) Do you think the 'pressing' will flatten the books out somewhat (the ASM #252s in particular), and

(2) Should I submit the ASM #252s even if they do retain some of the bending?

Financially, this book is only worth slabbing if 9.4 or higher IMHO so thanks in advance to any advice offered!

Financially, this book is only worth slabbing if 9.4 or higher IMHO so thanks in advance to any advice offered!

Not really. It's only $12 each (after 20% discount) + shipping.

I made more selling my CGC 8.0 than if I sold it raw.

I would say 8.0 and up you'd at least break even.

Keep a raw copy for reading. You'll feel better afterwards ;)

I don't think you'll get too much flak for "pressing" since you're really just storing your books. How you choose to do so, is up to you, and if it causes some flattening of the book, then it's simply smart storing.

And I think you'll find this book has high enough demand that if you're able to get each slabbed for the amount Aces is quoting, you'll easily make your money back with profit to spare on each book.

Thanks folks.

On a side note: I do not understanding the issue with 'pressing'. Why are so many against it?

No foreign substance is applied to the book, nor is anyone or anything actually touching the actual surface or interior of the book. The only thing happening is the application of an external force to 'flatten' the book. Does this process leave some sort of mark that high-end technology and/or trianed eyes can pick-up? If not, what is the issue - I am curious.

Cheers

Thanks folks.

On a side note: I do not understanding the issue with 'pressing'. Why are so many against it?

No foreign substance is applied to the book, nor is anyone or anything actually touching the actual surface or interior of the book. The only thing happening is the application of an external force to 'flatten' the book. Does this process leave some sort of mark that high-end technology and/or trianed eyes can pick-up? If not, what is the issue - I am curious.

Cheers

In a nutshell some feel pressing is no big deal since nothing is physically added to the book. The counter argument is that the look is "enhanced" and a higher slabbed grade could be realized. This results in more money.

For the purists a book should not have any restoration or preservation done to it. This would provide a true grade. One of the arguments is that in many collections the books were stored stack on top of each other. Throuh time and gravity a natural pressing took place, whereas a dry heat pressing accelerates that process artificially.

As was mentioned their are many threads that have been devoted to the issue of "pressing" I suggest you read them.

I'll hunt down those threads - thanks.

(just one last comment: how do those "purists" know if the high grade copy they just shelled big bucks out on in is 'naturally' flat or 'pressed' - I know, I know, read the threads, sheesh...[insert smiley face here - I no longer know how...])

(just one last comment: how do those "purists" know if the high grade copy they just shelled big bucks out on in is 'naturally' flat or 'pressed' - I know, I know, read the threads, sheesh...[insert smiley face here - I no longer know how...])

Unless you were the OO their is no way of knowing for sure.

:grin:

:grin:

Or, if you found them in tomato boxes. :kidaround: