• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bidders who never lose

172 posts in this topic

Do you guys ever run into certain eBay bidders who will bid an insane amount on a particular comic so no one will dare overbid them? Do you ever realize what's going on and also bid an insane amount (but not too insane) so this particular user will pay through the nose? I've run into two such users in the last month on two different sets I pay a lot of attention to and I've made them fork over at least double what anyone else has paid in the last year on several different auctions. Ugh, it's still frustrating and I need to get a little whining off my chest...

I'm not sure you're going to get the sympathy you're looking for... Punishment bidding, while not illegal, is kind of a petty move. I certainly hope that someone does the same to you when you're going after eBay items you want. (Or that the bidder then retracts his winning bid so you're listed as the winner so that you pay more than you want to for an item.)

I don't bid $1000 on something that averages around $150 just to make sure I win the comic. Anyone who does is looking for trouble (and they got it tonight). Besides if someone cancels their bid after the auction is already over, the second highest isn't obligated to buy the item. Geez, did I insult you in some way?

They can cancel their item before the auction ends leaving you the high bidder.

You didn't insult me... I just don't like seeing punishment bids happen to punish someone else just because someone doesn't want to pay the same price as someone else. It's petty. It's "small" and it indicates a lack of sportsmanship in my opinion.

(Note that if I were the seller, I'd probably be pleased to get the higher price...)

If they cancel their bid I'd get the item at the price I want. So someone who bids $1000 for a $150 comic is the better sport? If you're truly willing to pay that much how is "punishment" bidding small & petty?

What does being the high bidder have to do with being a good sport? The guy who wants it the most and can pay for it does so. You said it yourself in your original post, you needed to whine. And that's what you're doing. You're whining like a baby because you can't be the high bidder on something. What does it matter to you if somebody overpays for something they apparently want. Its got nothing to do with you and its none of your business if they overpay by a million times guide. So what, its not your money. Jacking up the price on something you have no intention of winning simply because you know beforehand another bid will continue to up the ante shows a lack of class on your part. It has nothing to do with the guy who is overpaying. You are petty. Sorry, you just are. The fact that multiple people need to explain to you why that's petty is ridiculous.

Punishment bidding, while not illegal, is kind of a petty move.

Nah. It's not kind of a petty move. It IS a petty move. You hit ebay, find what you're looking for and, in whatever manner you wish to do it (first bid, snipe, whatever) you bid the max you are comfortable with. If you are high bidder great. If you aren't you aren't. What someone else bids is their business, not yours.

And paying more than you would pay for a book to run up the final bid price is, exactly as said by POV and Shin, is classless and juvenile.

Totally agree (thumbs u

Nah. It's not kind of a petty move. It IS a petty move. You hit ebay, find what you're looking for and, in whatever manner you wish to do it (first bid, snipe, whatever) you bid the max you are comfortable with. If you are high bidder great. If you aren't you aren't. What someone else bids is their business, not yours.

And paying more than you would pay for a book to run up the final bid price is, exactly as said by POV and Shin, is classless and juvenile.

Totally agree (thumbs u

Can't say that I've ever left a "punishment bid" (interesting nomenclature there), but I don't think doing it is any more petty and juvenile than putting a say $5,000 bid on a $100 dollar book. Anyone who is so obsessed with "winning" at all costs -- to the point of being willing to p#ss away $4,900 -- strikes me as more juvenile.

Sullypython never loses, unless he wants to.

I outbid him once on a book.....and got it for a decent price, considering it was a highest graded 9.6 with white pages. That has been the only time we have butted heads though.....and any other time, I would LOSE.

Scott

He didn't really want it. It was just a punishment bid against you. :baiting::foryou:

--Sean.

Totally agree (thumbs u

Can't say that I've ever left a "punishment bid" (interesting nomenclature there), but I don't think doing it is any more petty and juvenile than putting a say $5,000 bid on a $100 dollar book. Anyone who is so obsessed with "winning" at all costs -- to the point of being willing to p#ss away $4,900 -- strikes me as more juvenile.

Here's a question. How does one know that somebody else is willing to bid $5000 for a $100 book. I don't know about everyone else but when I bid, it doesn't tell me what everyone else's max bid is. To me, it sounds like alot of assumptions are being made by folks who can't seem to outbid somebody the routinely see on ebay and are more than just a little bit jealous/envious, whatever you want to call it.

IMO, if somebody bids $5000, for that 100 book, then they obviously really want the damn thing. I highly doubt that the person who does that though thinks that he's gonna have to pay 5000 for it. Its a way of not getting sniped. Somebody who does that probably expects that the 100 dollar book he wants might go for 120 or 150 or heck, 200 if there's somebody else out there that really wants it. So what if he bids 10,000,000. How would you ever know that was his max unless you bid 9,999,999? And why the hell would one do this? Oh, I know, I know...........to be a complete "spooning" arsewipe.

I can understand putting in a high overbid to assure yourself of getting a book. I don't understand trying to drive up the price for a fellow collector by punish bidding against him. What's the point? To show him who's boss? To pump your chest? Think about it, you're upping the bid well beyond what you yourself would pay for the book with the intention of not winning the thing to begin with. All you want to do is drive up somebody else's cost to prove a point? That's how 13 year olds behave.

Totally agree (thumbs u

:applause:

Totally agree (thumbs u

:applause:

applause for what? you found one other person on the planet as petty as you are? SWEET!

edit: in fairness he said he's never done it before unlike you.

Do you guys ever run into certain eBay bidders who will bid an insane amount on a particular comic so no one will dare overbid them? Do you ever realize what's going on and also bid an insane amount (but not too insane) so this particular user will pay through the nose? I've run into two such users in the last month on two different sets I pay a lot of attention to and I've made them fork over at least double what anyone else has paid in the last year on several different auctions. Ugh, it's still frustrating and I need to get a little whining off my chest...

I'm not sure you're going to get the sympathy you're looking for... Punishment bidding, while not illegal, is kind of a petty move. I certainly hope that someone does the same to you when you're going after eBay items you want. (Or that the bidder then retracts his winning bid so you're listed as the winner so that you pay more than you want to for an item.)

I don't bid $1000 on something that averages around $150 just to make sure I win the comic. Anyone who does is looking for trouble (and they got it tonight). Besides if someone cancels their bid after the auction is already over, the second highest isn't obligated to buy the item. Geez, did I insult you in some way?

You didn't insult me... I just don't like seeing punishment bids happen to punish someone else just because someone doesn't want to pay the same price as someone else. It's petty. It's "small" and it indicates a lack of sportsmanship in my opinion.

(Note that if I were the seller, I'd probably be pleased to get the higher price...)

If they cancel their bid I'd get the item at the price I want. So someone who bids $1000 for a $150 comic is the better sport? If you're truly willing to pay that much how is "punishment" bidding small & petty?

What does being the high bidder have to do with being a good sport? The guy who wants it the most and can pay for it does so. You said it yourself in your original post, you needed to whine. And that's what you're doing. You're whining like a baby because you can't be the high bidder on something. What does it matter to you if somebody overpays for something they apparently want. Its got nothing to do with you and its none of your business if they overpay by a million times guide. So what, its not your money. Jacking up the price on something you have no intention of winning simply because you know beforehand another bid will continue to up the ante shows a lack of class on your part. It has nothing to do with the guy who is overpaying. You are petty. Sorry, you just are. The fact that multiple people need to explain to you why that's petty is ridiculous.

Wow. I didn't think this many people would be on the other side. Punishment bids may be petty but to think putting up that jacked up bid in the first place isn't the same or worse is beyond me.

Here's a thought-- I wish there was a way to get rid of snipe bidding that way it would be fair to everyone. If you go to a live auction you see everyone who is bidding against you and there isnt a sneak who pops in the last few seconds.

just my 2 cents

Wow. I didn't think this many people would be on the other side. Punishment bids may be petty but to think putting up that jacked up bid in the first place isn't the same or worse is beyond me.

So, putting a high bid on a book to make sure you win is akin to someone placing a very high bod on a book, with no intention of winning, because they think bidder 1's bid is stoopid is cool?

Im not thinking so.

I'll tell you what, if a GI Combat #9 ever comes up for sale on ebay and I put a fairly large bid on it, I'd be extremely pisssed of if I get punishment bids placed on it.

(thumbs u I've added it to my favorite searches!

I'll tell you what, if a GI Combat #9 ever comes up for sale on ebay and I put a fairly large bid on it, I'd be extremely pisssed of if I get punishment bids placed on it.

(thumbs u I've added it to my favorite searches!

why you....!!!!! :kidaround:

Yes, any their tune will change quickly when they continually lose to the same person over and over again at above market prices - often for the same book. That's what is the impetus for this behavior.

You bid market for Goober #1 and lose by the minimum bid amount to some guy. The next Goober #1 goes up and bid 1.5x market and lose by the min. bid amount to the same guy. The next Gooder #1 comes up and you bid 2-3x market and lose by the minimum bid amount to the same guy. At this point you have to wonder what this person is willing to pay.

It's one thing to have enough money to not care what you are going to pay for something. It's another thing altogether to be a about it.

So, putting a high bid on a book to make sure you win is akin to someone placing a very high bod on a book, with no intention of winning, because they think bidder 1's bid is stoopid is cool?

Im not thinking so.

I'm not saying it's cool. But what happens when two users legitimately use the same tactic? Who's on what side? I've come to think that both are stupid but I'll still lean towards "punishments" over insanity.

I'm not saying it's cool. But what happens when two users legitimately use the same tactic? Who's on what side? I've come to think that both are stupid but I'll still lean towards "punishments" over insanity

Then to each his own and the highest bid wins. As both people are willing to pay X amount for the book then that is fine.

But its when someone ON PURPOSE bids up someone to make them pay more that the line is crossed.

I've made gijoed (ebay) pay thru the nose a couple of times.

And vise versa.

Yep, that is the guy that I hate to see bid. Is he still buying up most double cover comics?

Almost every one that comes up on eBay.