• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bidders who never lose

172 posts in this topic

Do you guys ever run into certain eBay bidders who will bid an insane amount on a particular comic so no one will dare overbid them? Do you ever realize what's going on and also bid an insane amount (but not too insane) so this particular user will pay through the nose? I've run into two such users in the last month on two different sets I pay a lot of attention to and I've made them fork over at least double what anyone else has paid in the last year on several different auctions. Ugh, it's still frustrating and I need to get a little whining off my chest...

Do you guys ever run into certain eBay bidders who will bid an insane amount on a particular comic so no one will dare overbid them? Do you ever realize what's going on and also bid an insane amount (but not too insane) so this particular user will pay through the nose? I've run into two such users in the last month on two different sets I pay a lot of attention to and I've made them fork over at least double what anyone else has paid in the last year on several different auctions. Ugh, it's still frustrating and I need to get a little whining off my chest...

Been there. Done that... on both ends. :tonofbricks:

I'm not sure you're going to get the sympathy you're looking for... Punishment bidding, while not illegal, is kind of a petty move. I certainly hope that someone does the same to you when you're going after eBay items you want. (Or that the bidder then retracts his winning bid so you're listed as the winner so that you pay more than you want to for an item.)

People who make "psycho snipes" deserve to get punishment bids, as their behavior in pure stupidity to begin with.

After all, why snipe at $10K when you aren't prepared to go that high?

I don't punish bid but I will pay disgusting amounts for books I want.

Been there. Done that... on both ends. :tonofbricks:

hm

I'm not sure you're going to get the sympathy you're looking for... Punishment bidding, while not illegal, is kind of a petty move. I certainly hope that someone does the same to you when you're going after eBay items you want. (Or that the bidder then retracts his winning bid so you're listed as the winner so that you pay more than you want to for an item.)

I don't bid $1000 on something that averages around $150 just to make sure I win the comic. Anyone who does is looking for trouble (and they got it tonight). Besides if someone cancels their bid after the auction is already over, the second highest isn't obligated to buy the item. Geez, did I insult you in some way?

I don't punish bid but I will pay disgusting amounts for books I want.

You are worse than me

I don't bid $1000 on something that averages around $150 just to make sure I win the comic. Anyone who does is looking for trouble (and they got it tonight). Besides if someone cancels their bid after the auction is already over, the second highest isn't obligated to buy the item. Geez, did I insult you in some way?

They can cancel their item before the auction ends leaving you the high bidder.

You didn't insult me... I just don't like seeing punishment bids happen to punish someone else just because someone doesn't want to pay the same price as someone else. It's petty. It's "small" and it indicates a lack of sportsmanship in my opinion.

(Note that if I were the seller, I'd probably be pleased to get the higher price...)