• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,860 posts in this topic

I was wondering yesterday what it would cost at current prices to complete a run of Journey Into Mystery #83-125 and Annual #1, with Thor #126 thrown in for good measure, with 83-83 in 8.5 condition, and the rest in 9.4. with a few straying into 9.6 and 9.2, since some of those 9.4s haven't come on the market in a Blue Moon...

So, a run averaging 9.2 or 9.0 would be *much* easier! I have to admire those of you that own, will own, or once owned a complete run. I'm confident that it took (or will take) years of effort.

Come on down out of the nosebleeds. 8.0's are perfectly acceptable (at least to me) and are far more affordable than all those high grade copies and still present very well.

I agree, having a run in the 8.0s would look nice, but I've discovered that in several cases, dealers are demanding a high premium for an 8.0. Sometimes you can find a higher graded copy that is more in line with FMV.

All of these 8.5-9.6 copies coming up for auction soon would be a nice way to round out a collection. I'll envy the new owners, that's for sure ;)

I was wondering yesterday what it would cost at current prices to complete a run of Journey Into Mystery #83-125 and Annual #1, with Thor #126 thrown in for good measure, with 83-83 in 8.5 condition, and the rest in 9.4. with a few straying into 9.6 and 9.2, since some of those 9.4s haven't come on the market in a Blue Moon...

So, a run averaging 9.2 or 9.0 would be *much* easier! I have to admire those of you that own, will own, or once owned a complete run. I'm confident that it took (or will take) years of effort.

Come on down out of the nosebleeds. 8.0's are perfectly acceptable (at least to me) and are far more affordable than all those high grade copies and still present very well.

My run averages about 7.75, (Excluding the 83, which I'll wait awhile for till the current fervor is over...) it costs a small fraction of what it would have cost in 9.0/9.2 average. Overall, I'd hazard a guess that it would be at least 10X as expensive and even that may be conservative. For instance, I cannot imagine what one of the 9.4 84s would go for if they ever hit the market.

My run averages about 7.75, (Excluding the 83, which I'll wait awhile for till the current fervor is over...) it costs a small fraction of what it would have cost in 9.0/9.2 average. Overall, I'd hazard a guess that it would be at least 10X as expensive and even that may be conservative. For instance, I cannot imagine what one of the 9.4 84s would go for if they ever hit the market.

A 9.4 just hit eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Journey-Into-Mystery-84-CGC-9-4-Purple-Label-/310308271663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483fd0762f#ht_1495wt_1141

Restored, though :(

One of the owners of an 8.5 ow 84 is entertaining offers starting at $2,467 on Heritage...

Kevin's been selling his high grade JIMs on eBay (#6 registry set)(I'm the happy new owner of his #85) but now I'm broke...I'm relegated to the bench with the Clink and Heritage auctions about to go live...I'll cheer you on, though.

A 9.4 just hit eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Journey-Into-Mystery-84-CGC-9-4-Purple-Label-/310308271663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483fd0762f#ht_1495wt_1141

Restored, though :(

One of the owners of an 8.5 ow 84 is entertaining offers starting at $2,467 on Heritage...

Kevin's been selling his high grade JIMs on eBay (#6 registry set)(I'm the happy new owner of his #85) but now I'm broke...I'm relegated to the bench with the Clink and Heritage auctions about to go live...I'll cheer you on, though.

Even that is impressive. There are only three 9.4s total, including this one restored copy. I suspect we won't see one of the blue 9.4s for a very long time. Captain Tripps has one of them. Frankly, it's possible that there is only one blue 9.4. That one may be a resub.

Yeah. If I owned a PLOD (my new favorite acronym, Purple Label of Death), I'd see about removing the restoration work, if possible. That 9.2 issue of JIM 85 on Clink is calling to me, but there's no telling what it would grade out as once it's been "unrestored." Might *still* come back with the dreaded purple label...

Speaking of the illustrious Capt., I'm wondering why his 9.6 copy of JIM 85 is going on the block in Clink's May auction. Wouldn't placing it on Pedigree make more sense? No matter.

The bright side of the movie hype is that it's encouraged collectors and/or investors to release high graded copies into the market to capitalize on the fervor. More power to them. Some really low census numbers books might have company soon with raw books in the grading pipeline at the CGC, further increasing the accuracy of the census.

Speaking of movie hype, I'm a bit glad I'm not trying to complete a run of Spidey or the Avengers right now. But someday, I'll own a copy of AF 15 that doesn't look like a gerbil made a nest in it...

Yeah. If I owned a PLOD (my new favorite acronym, Purple Label of Death), I'd see about removing the restoration work, if possible. That 9.2 issue of JIM 85 on Clink is calling to me, but there's no telling what it would grade out as once it's been "unrestored." Might *still* come back with the dreaded purple label...

Speaking of the illustrious Capt., I'm wondering why his 9.6 copy of JIM 85 is going on the block in Clink's May auction. Wouldn't placing it on Pedigree make more sense? No matter.

The bright side of the movie hype is that it's encouraged collectors and/or investors to release high graded copies into the market to capitalize on the fervor. More power to them. Some really low census numbers books might have company soon with raw books in the grading pipeline at the CGC, further increasing the accuracy of the census.

Speaking of movie hype, I'm a bit glad I'm not trying to complete a run of Spidey or the Avengers right now. But someday, I'll own a copy of AF 15 that doesn't look like a gerbil made a nest in it...

That's not Doug's copy. The 9.6 copy that is in the May CLINK auction is a freshly graded 9.6. It was once a 9.4 and got resubbed and bumped up a grade.

That makes sense, thank you. Time to update my census spreadsheet...It appears one of the 9.2's is in the resubmission process as well. I have copies of 83 & 85 in the pipeline myself, but they're nowhere near that territory.

I used to be a Loki freak (still am) and last year I sold about 60 JIM #85's (from 2.0-9.0) and bought Doug's old copy. The Canadian White JIM #85 9.4. It's never been pressed, perfectly centered and has white pages... I should do the press and resub game myself, but I'm not going to as my copy superior to either of those 9.6's as is...IMHO....

We'll see where that 9.2 that's being resubbed lands. It was probably the copy that was recently bought in the last CLINK auction. Good luck on your submission.

I used to be a Loki freak (still am) and last year I sold about 60 JIM #85's (from 2.0-9.0) and bought Doug's old copy. The Canadian White JIM #85 9.4. It's never been pressed, perfectly centered and has white pages... I should do the press and resub game myself, but I'm not going to as my copy superior to either of those 9.6's as is...IMHO....

We'll see where that 9.2 that's being resubbed lands. It was probably the copy that was recently bought in the last CLINK auction. Good luck on your submission.

....what identifies the book as Canadian, if you'll pardon my curiousity ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This copy was Canadian by virtue of the original owner being Canadian:

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/detail.php?issue_id=11620

I love that copy, too. I have 3 copies of JIM 85, suddenly, and my 8.5 white pages copy is where the train stops for someone of my means. The former owner pointed me to another 8.5 copy (Mass. pedigree) that sold on Clink in July for $4,400 (!)

Edited by Misha

Wow 60 copies that is crazy. Congrats on having such a great copy.

The former owner pointed me to another 8.5 copy (Mass. pedigree) that sold on Clink in July for $4,400 (!)

Sold for $4500 :headbang:

Copy is NM/NM- and from a pedigree, but with a chip:

JIM85.jpg

The former owner pointed me to another 8.5 copy (Mass. pedigree) that sold on Clink in July for $4,400 (!)

Sold for $4500 :headbang:

Copy is NM/NM- and from a pedigree, but with a chip:

JIM85.jpg

That was a separate sale from when you sold your #3 registry set? I think the other copy went for $2,899? I bow in your general direction...

That's not Doug's copy. The 9.6 copy that is in the May CLINK auction is a freshly graded 9.6. It was once a 9.4 and got resubbed and bumped up a grade.

That information is not completely correct. It is not Doug's copy though.

Edited by Dale Roberts

That information is not completely correct. It is not Doug's copy though.

Do tell?