• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,860 posts in this topic

Yaaaaaaaaaaayyy! I won a book tonite! :headbang:

JIM108CGC92.jpg

Haven't looked at this thread in a while...This is one of my favorite JIMs issues (in my top 5). Hmm, sounds like a contest question. Anyway it's a beauty.

The #89 is as good as you can get it in the way it presents itself. Really nice. :applause:

Edited by Blind Owl

Yeah, 108's my favorite, but 89's up there, too. I've yet to own a copy of 89 :( Someday, though...

The 89 is a cracked-out CGC 6.5...extremely presentable for the grade (better in hand than the scans)...wondering if the right edge crease could be pressed out...maybe not...

I'm very happy with it...will be my copy until I can come across a 9.0 some day...

Yeah, 108's my favorite, but 89's up there, too. I've yet to own a copy of 89 :( Someday, though...

The 89 is a cracked-out CGC 6.5...extremely presentable for the grade (better in hand than the scans)...wondering if the right edge crease could be pressed out...maybe not...

I'm very happy with it...will be my copy until I can come across a 9.0 some day...

Nice book, Tom!! 9.0 copies of this book are a pain in the balls to come by!! :tonofbricks:

If those weren't there on the PC copy, it would grade out as a 9.6-9.8, imo, and be completely unaffordable as a result...

I dream of owning 9.4 copies someday, but to each their own. The one copy of JIM that's relatively easy to acquire in 9.4 is #124, with 50 copies in the census (and 24 in 9.6!) which indicates to me that there must have been a warehouse find at some point.

There are only 7 copies of 116 in the census, with 2 higher, last time I checked. Last 9.4 sold for $1,434, and with white page quality and the well regarded pedigree I expect this to go for north of $1,500. Out of my league.

Speaking of pedigrees, did anyone else notice the 9.0 Twin Cities copy of #102 just sell on Heritage for a record $358.50? 9.0's have been stuck around $260 for years, so I don't know if that qualifies as a pedigree bump or just a normal market correction. At least 2 bidders really wanted it :)

If those weren't there on the PC copy, it would grade out as a 9.6-9.8, imo, and be completely unaffordable as a result...

I dream of owning 9.4 copies someday, but to each their own. The one copy of JIM that's relatively easy to acquire in 9.4 is #124, with 50 copies in the census (and 24 in 9.6!) which indicates to me that there must have been a warehouse find at some point.

There are only 7 copies of 116 in the census, with 2 higher, last time I checked. Last 9.4 sold for $1,434, and with white page quality and the well regarded pedigree I expect this to go for north of $1,500. Out of my league.

Speaking of pedigrees, did anyone else notice the 9.0 Twin Cities copy of #102 just sell on Heritage for a record $358.50? 9.0's have been stuck around $260 for years, so I don't know if that qualifies as a pedigree bump or just a normal market correction. At least 2 bidders really wanted it :)

Yup. 124 was indeed a warehouse find and the easiest to find in 9.4 and up. Followed by issue 121, another issue I believe was found in great numbers.

121 has 12 in 9.6 and 24 in 9.4 I see...

Paradoxically, a PLOD 9.4 copy of #84 is going begging on eBay, lowered from $5,000 to $4,000 with no offers. No love for a top census copy if it's purple...

The PLOD 9.2 copy of #85 apparently went unsold after 6 months on ComicLink, even though it was only listed for $3000. I flirted with the idea of buying that one and having the color touch removed, but that would have been a risky proposition.

I was tracking the 102 and had every intention of bidding on it until I sprung for the 87 9.0 from Andy/goldust40... :insane:

Yeah, the sales thread is hazardous to my pocketbook...I think we are seeing a combination of a market adjustment and a pedigree bump. The Twin Cities ow/w 7.5 copy of #103 went for $334.60. Very strong results for both books.

Of course, given 103's relative rarity in the higher grades that could just reflect a few bidders' frustrations at missing out on anything higher recently.

People paying top dollar to get an example of the Pedigree....JIM 103 would be a fine example...LOVE that cover. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Pacific Coast Copy of for grabs in CLINK June auction! :headbang:

JIM 116 9.4 PACIFIC COAST

RAD3FA1B2011512_204658.jpg

This used to be my copy, but it's been regraded and pressed. The very minute changes to the two right side corners and slight shifting of the relative positioning of the front and back covers are the giveaway that the comic has been pressed. I'm happy to say that the buyer who cracked, pressed, and resubbed the book is taking a bath, having paid over 3 grand for it.

It has a teeny dot of rub along the spine that keeps it from a higher grade, but is a really sweet copy. Too bad it's been needlessly doctored.

JIM116.jpg

This used to be my copy, and since I sold it it's been reholdered and pressed. The very minute changes to the two right side corners are the giveaway that the comic has been pressed. I'm happy to say that the buyer who cracked/pressed and resubbed the book is taking a bath, having paid over 3 grand for it.

It has a teeny rub along the spine that keeps it from a higher grade, but is a really sweet copy.

I think your JIM #83 was re-sold at a decent loss. I still kick myself for not buying the lowest graded of your lot; the JIM #89 @ 8.0.

JIM 116 9.4 PACIFIC COAST

RAD3FA1B2011512_204658.jpg

This used to be my copy, but it's been regraded and pressed. The very minute changes to the two right side corners and slight shifting of the relative positioning of the front and back covers are the giveaway that the comic has been pressed. I'm happy to say that the buyer who cracked, pressed, and resubbed the book is taking a bath, having paid over 3 grand for it.

It has a teeny dot of rub along the spine that keeps it from a higher grade, but is a really sweet copy. Too bad it's been needlessly doctored.

JIM116.jpg

I just LOVE the colors of this book/cover in hand...one of my FAVES! :headbang: You're right Bob...except for the couple of spine rubs this copy is SMOLDERING! :cloud9:

... :gossip: and :boo: to the misguided pressing...

Edited by trmoore54

I won the #102. What I'm finding is that Twin Cities books are crushing gpa averages as they simply are some of the nicest books in grade that your going to find. Have yet to see such a combination of color depth and fresh page quality from a lot of the other know pedigrees. Sure there are higher grade copies but these books almost glow in the dark. When the first batch came out I bid up the Cap #102 to record levels but I still lost out. Was also blown out of the water on at least 10 other books. I'm hooked on these and have at least a dozen books in upcoming auctions that I plan to win and I expect to pay top dollar for them. I've cracked out a few of these books already and they are sharp, love the cert Heritage gives with them too.