• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,860 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

You're right, it really DOES look like the *Journey* went over the top! lol

It's a Mystery alright :grin:

1 minute ago, Frisco Larson said:

Probably some kind of mystical process that we mortals can't comprehend …. 

I reckon that Amalia Hall's got something to do with it hm

Have you noticed how 77 and 80 have faint cover months in small white boxes? That'll be the pence copies fault. 

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I reckon that Amalia Hall's got something to do with it hm

Very possibly! It's kind of interesting that I have several early Marvel Silver Age comics that have the name Ramon Hull or perhaps Hall written on them. I had wondered that if it IS in fact Hall, if perhaps Amalia might be his sister???  

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Have you noticed how 77 and 80 have faint cover months in small white boxes? That'll be the pence copies fault. 

Now that you mention it, I DO see it, more so on the 77 than the 80. I have a nicer certified 80 and it looks quite a bit bolder that the 77, as does my raw copy of 80. How did the pence copies figure into the picture? 

JIM 80.JPG

31 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Now that you mention it, I DO see it, more so on the 77 than the 80. I have a nicer certified 80 and it looks quite a bit bolder that the 77, as does my raw copy of 80. How did the pence copies figure into the picture? 

I'll try and post something tomorrow Frisco as I'm on my tablet and I need my desktop file pictures....

22 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:
22 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

If you look at copies of JIM around that time, most have defined boxes in which either the month sits with the issue number above or both number and month sit in the one outlined box, like so:

jim2.PNG.62a2b129cb55398d722461394226463b.PNG jim1.PNG.4c9dccf4f88dffee5df573d7f0722ee3.PNG

The handful of issues where there is no outlined box, but a rectangleish blob of white (I know all the technical terms you know), sitting in the cover background colour, they all seem to have visually poorly defined months. On #77, the 'FEB' looks like it is supposed to be white text printed within the background blue (like the issue number is), but the white rectangle of the pence copy looks like it has been overprinted and has therefore made the cents copy look fuzzy:

77c.thumb.jpg.8398d7b32349133d736c718587f24f8b.jpg77p.thumb.jpg.512820a6bde3b677fb0df2a41b700fdd.jpg

Same again on #80, the cents copie's 'MAY' looks like it has the pence copies white rectangle overprinted and, as such, looks indistinct as a result:

80c.jpg.0d2156c917f95e45a5ba2148961ffd40.jpg80p.thumb.jpg.96711f3552ec8caabf98376c754e0655.jpg

(Incidentally, the white rectangle was placed on the pence copy to obscure the month as pence copies had them removed in those days to avoid shipping delay confusion - see my pence thread for more on that)

My theory is that the months on these two should have been printed as white text on the background colour but, somehow, the pence plate's white rectangle found its way onto the cents copies, possibly indicating that the pence copies were run first (fight!).

Just speculation on my part, drawn from all my US Price Font Variations analysis, but fun nonetheless.

10 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Does anyone else think that Spragg looks like a giant gumdrop?

Journey Into Mystery #068 2.jpg

I think he looks like one of those little chin puppets. Quarantine Project! Somebody get on that!

Emily and Frankie Chin Puppets Feb 2015 - YouTube

Edited by KirbyJack