• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,860 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, wchung said:

Nice pic up Lou, beauties.  I was bidding on those too.  Was it you and I bidding up the #94 in live bidding?  I eventually got it after not getting the previous ones.  I also ended up getting the #84(8.0) cause it could not find a copy of it anywhere above 7.0.

Congrats on getting the #94!  I did bid on it but I believe there were multiple bids after I bailed.  I would have taken a 9.6 if I thought I was getting a deal, but what I really want is a 9.4.  I was really hoping that I would find out who won the 9.6 and that they would have a 9.4 undercopy they'd like to sell me.  So ...  ?? lol

#84 is super tough to find above 7.0, so congrats on that one as well.  I am still looking to upgrade my 8.0 to 9.0.

On 11/19/2022 at 11:59 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Congrats on getting the #94!  I did bid on it but I believe there were multiple bids after I bailed.  I would have taken a 9.6 if I thought I was getting a deal, but what I really want is a 9.4.  I was really hoping that I would find out who won the 9.6 and that they would have a 9.4 undercopy they'd like to sell me.  So ...  ?? lol

#84 is super tough to find above 7.0, so congrats on that one as well.  I am still looking to upgrade my 8.0 to 9.0.

On 11/19/2022 at 11:59 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Unfortunately I dont have a 9.4, only a 9.2.  The final price was certainly not a deal, but there are so very few of these available and may never go on sale again.  I remember you and I offered to buy a  #84 in 9.0 to a Heritage owner, which he quickly rejected.  Everything has a price, ours was just not high enough.  The journey continues.  Congrats on the 8.0 FF#1, sweet.

Edited by wchung
answered the question incorrectly

On 11/18/2022 at 6:58 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Had to share these two wins from yesterday's Heritage auction.

1928928812_JourneyIntoMystery88CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.5e206c60c84fa3463f175fc4cac9a322.jpg

1961375809_JourneyIntoMystery89CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.90e116f1ff1427c1c8fed823bb020450.jpg

I just need to upgrade #94 and #103 to have #86-125 and Annual #1 in 9.4.

Wow Lou, those are just incredible copies!!! It's an amazing accomplishment to have the run you do in those grades!!! I need to shoot over and check your registry out!!! Congratulations!!! If I had either of the copies you needed to complete your set (in those grades) I'd do my best to work a deal with you!!! Best of luck acquiring those last two issues!!! 

On 11/21/2022 at 1:59 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Wow Lou, those are just incredible copies!!! It's an amazing accomplishment to have the run you do in those grades!!! I need to shoot over and check your registry out!!! Congratulations!!! If I had either of the copies you needed to complete your set (in those grades) I'd do my best to work a deal with you!!! Best of luck acquiring those last two issues!!! 

That's really kind of you Frisco!  The census numbers aren't in my favor but I certainly hope to one day fill in those last two upgrades!  If only my WTB thread would get some more action.  :violin:

On 11/21/2022 at 1:46 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That's really kind of you Frisco!  The census numbers aren't in my favor but I certainly hope to one day fill in those last two upgrades!  If only my WTB thread would get some more action.  :violin:

You've done a tremendous job getting where you are! The challenge of acquiring those last two will make the victory all the sweeter when you get there! I'll be looking forward to THAT group shot!!! :applause:

On 11/19/2022 at 7:08 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

As I recall, most of the time when they did this coloring technique they used yellows and oranges and browns.  Aside from JIM #89, I am not able to think of any covers where they did it in shades of blue (and pink and gray).  It's a gorgeous effect.

I gravitate to those covers, too.

Here’s a cool blue example

BD40DAEF-2D8C-4C82-876D-BB08CE69B5FE.thumb.jpeg.9468b5176de2c8955729225ec827eaf6.jpeg

Somehow, I've made it 48 years of collecting without ever owning a single issue of JIM (shrug). That changed recently with a board pick-up of VGish copies of 110 and 117. I'll probalby focus on 100+ for now. lol yet another run to complete :ohnoez:

On 12/13/2022 at 12:24 PM, universal soldier said:

Somehow, I've made it 48 years of collecting without ever owning a single issue of JIM (shrug). That changed recently with a board pick-up of VGish copies of 110 and 117. I'll probalby focus on 100+ for now. lol yet another run to complete :ohnoez:

That is great to hear!  Honestly the JIM run is a treasure as far as I'm concerned.  Once Kirby gets past the Mr. Hyde and Human Cobra stuff and really finds his stride with stories and opponents that better fit the hero, it becomes positively majestic, reaching levels of grandeur matched only by his work on FF.

On 12/13/2022 at 8:13 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That is great to hear!  Honestly the JIM run is a treasure as far as I'm concerned.  Once Kirby gets past the Mr. Hyde and Human Cobra stuff and really finds his stride with stories and opponents that better fit the hero, it becomes positively majestic, reaching levels of grandeur matched only by his work on FF.

I been so focused on other titles but have really grown to appreciate the work he's done on Thor and FF. I've always been worried that this series was just too costly to chase but it's not as bad as I thought after watching for a bit.