• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Comic Con Dealer report

105 posts in this topic

So, do you think it was worth it? ... I often wonder if the bulk of dealers make money at San Diego. I sometimes think they just go to have fun, because except for a few dealers I just don't see how a healthy profit could come from it. I hope you did well though.

There are an awful lot of dealers who have dropped out, but for the "name" guys who have nice books, they do very well. It is sad that a lot of people are priced out. The guy I was next to at Wondercon this year (A&G comics?) had done San Diego for years but he wasn't going this year because he can't make any money. It's sad that I have a pretty vast inventory of $20 to $100 books and am in-state but don't see how I can pull it off either. You're going to have to sell some $500, $800, $1000 books to make a go of it and get your sales up to a really profitable level.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my expenses between the booth, hotel, shipping, and airfare were about $4k, and I did more than 30x that number in sales. (Though some of this came from books on consignment)

Adam, that's really great, congrats. You probably had the lowest pct. of expenses of anyone there, or close to it. I know someone else, who isn't a top-ten guy, but is a guy who is at the full page in Overstreet level, who runs things as bare bones as he can in terms of expenses and his SD costs are maybe in the low 20s, percentage-wise.

Of course, you do have a really potent booth with amazing books that you paid a really, really high pct. for. So your COGS might be one of the highest.

Marc

$225 for RAW 8.0 Bats 232's??? hm

There is a sucker born every minute. That's close to double GPA for a raw copy of a common as dirt book. :screwy:

Maybe it`s the kind of 8.0s that FD sells. (shrug)

It is a book that looked like a 9.2, but I think CGC would have graded at 8.0 or maybe 8.5. I think it had a small stain on back cover. It also sold to a guy who does not buy slabbed books. Just simply wanted a pretty copy of the book that he could occasionally take out and read. I don't really think he was concerned about GPA.

from a dealers point of view how does the Baltimore Comic Con stack up?

A ton of fun to attend. Marc puts on a great show. A real COMIC BOOK show.

Unfortunately, sales on golden and silver age are a little tough to come by. Year before last I was saved by a large sale. Last year was a little down. It is the show I most want to attend, just as a collector and fan.

Can you dealers break down in general terms what you think is the formula for having a successful booth?

As HouseofComics stated, he has a ton of mid-priced ($20-100) books, but probably not a lot of wall books or big-ticket items. So he doesn't think he can pull off a successful San Diego. Is this necessarily true?

I spoke with Steve Wyatt (who traded his booths with Torpedo Comics) and only had one corner booth this year, and he said he had one huge sale that basically made his convention (in addition to his normal sales.)

Bunky Brothers tried selling $3 books instead of $1 books and they were a little worried that this gambit wouldn't work. I don't think they were as successful as last year because I remember they had a new Golden Age collection last year. (Or the $3 books didn't sell as well as the $1 books.)

Also, many board members speak about dealers going into private stashes of HG books located behind the table.

And one last thing... What's the order of comic conventions now in terms of best convention for dealers?

Chicago, San Diego, New York, Heroes Con, WonderCon, etc.

Thanks... and an informative thread :applause:

By the way, here's a fascinating post about WizardWorld Chicago by Robert Beerbohm int he Golden Age section:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1821505&page=1&gonew=1#UNREAD

from a dealers point of view how does the Baltimore Comic Con stack up?

A ton of fun to attend. Marc puts on a great show. A real COMIC BOOK show.

Unfortunately, sales on golden and silver age are a little tough to come by. Year before last I was saved by a large sale. Last year was a little down. It is the show I most want to attend, just as a collector and fan.

thats great to know as it's the only big show i get to make it to each year.

i've always really enjoyed it.

Can you dealers break down in general terms what you think is the formula for having a successful booth?

As HouseofComics stated, he has a ton of mid-priced ($20-100) books, but probably not a lot of wall books or big-ticket items. So he doesn't think he can pull off a successful San Diego. Is this necessarily true?

I spoke with Steve Wyatt (who traded his booths with Torpedo Comics) and only had one corner booth this year, and he said he had one huge sale that basically made his convention (in addition to his normal sales.)

Bunky Brothers tried selling $3 books instead of $1 books and they were a little worried that this gambit wouldn't work. I don't think they were as successful as last year because I remember they had a new Golden Age collection last year. (Or the $3 books didn't sell as well as the $1 books.)

Also, many board members speak about dealers going into private stashes of HG books located behind the table.

And one last thing... What's the order of comic conventions now in terms of best convention for dealers?

Chicago, San Diego, New York, Heroes Con, WonderCon, etc.

Thanks... and an informative thread :applause:

By the way, here's a fascinating post about WizardWorld Chicago by Robert Beerbohm int he Golden Age section:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1821505&page=1&gonew=1#UNREAD

I'll give it a shot....

As for which shows are the best (in terms of sales)-

From my point of view San Diego is far and away the best.

Chicago and New York would be second with New York being better for some. I will set up there next year for the first time, but have attended and compared notes with those dealers with similar inventories.

I haven't done Wonder-Con in a few years. There was a time when I did very well there, but it now conflicts with some of our in-store promotions. I believe the last couple of years have been very strong.

There are a bunch in the next level - Mega-Con, Heroes, Detroit, Philly & LA Wizard. These shows can be great if that big sale comes along or I have a new collection of just the right inventory (or if I am able to buy some good stuff that I can sell later), but more often then not sales are average.

I can tell you that the worst show for me is the one closest to home - the Wizard Dallas show is absolutely abysmal for selling collectible comics. The t-shirt guys probably do great, and I know they sell alot of beer at the concession stands. But I could be selling high grade Action #1s for $100 each and have a hard time finding any takers (Actually the Heritage people would be all over them). I like to think it is because all the collectors around here have already spent all their money with me in the stores, but that isn't it. If anyone has a good reason please contact Wizard.

As for what makes a good booth and good sales...

I think having a broad range of inventory is key. Obviously most collectors specialize in certain areas. When they set up a table it is heavily weighted towards their specialty. If you can cover a number of areas you will do better.

It is always the shows that I forget to bring the Classics Illustrated that someone shows up ready to start a run with unlimited funds and no concern for grade :frustrated: High grade or high price doesn't always translate into sales. Having an Action 1 on your board will get a lot of people looking at your table, but if you don't have anything else that they want, collect, or can afford (or if you are particularly unfriendly and unhelpful), then it just amounts to a pretty picture.

If anyone is thinking about trying it, I strongly recommend you bite the bullet, get a table and give it a shot. If nothing else, it will give you a different perspective on the hobby. And if you get to the point of doing it I would be more than happy to help with info.

Hi all,

Just when I barely get down the old format they go and change it again, so bear with me, Bunky Brian here, I tell it like it is and make fun of myself at the same time, here goes, with my take on SD.

, a soon to be dead, venue.

OK a little over stated, perhaps. Cost for my partner and I to set up and stay in SD with food etc. about 5,000. Total sales from the weekend about 15,000. There you go. we brough tons of 3 dollar books (thinking all the family with kiddies would go crazy with cheap books) which sold about 9,000, and a very weak selection of pee stained golden age books, and left are other Marvel and DC silver and bronze at home due to space limitations. I concur with the others that to have a great show you need a healthly selection of , ( your outer wall of protection from the riff raff) thick quality of mid priced goodies, and hopefully a stocked amount of great 100 and up goldend age.

We had a low grade Huld 181 stolen, and John Torpedo Comics caught a shoplifter in his grasp.

For me, the pleasure of showing some of our personal collectrion to Richard, Peter, and Steve, having drinks with the CGC members, Zaid, Brent, and Howard, that is what make the convention for us. Great times geeking with my comic brothers I love you all. Brian

If anyone is thinking about trying it, I strongly recommend you bite the bullet, get a table and give it a shot. If nothing else, it will give you a different perspective on the hobby. And if you get to the point of doing it I would be more than happy to help with info.

hm

...the pleasure of showing some of our personal collectrion to Richard, Peter, and Steve, having drinks...

Brian, thanks for bringing those beauties from the vault to privately display to the honored few...those books were really beautiful! (worship)

I know that Steve Ritter also suffered a theft on Friday morning - he had some expensive books up front in the boxes, easy pickings for the creep who eluded security as he went out the door. :frustrated:

Thieves should really be prosecuted at these shows, though I heard it was difficult to get an officer to responsd into the Con (someone mentioned they waited 3 hours due to all the traffic and chaos). In California, a theft over $400 is a felony so I say...Book 'em, Dano!

Hi all,

Just when I barely get down the old format they go and change it again, so bear with me, Bunky Brian here, I tell it like it is and make fun of myself at the same time, here goes, with my take on SD.

OK a little over stated, perhaps. Cost for my partner and I to set up and stay in SD with food etc. about 5,000. Total sales from the weekend about 15,000. There you go. we brough tons of 3 dollar books (thinking all the family with kiddies would go crazy with cheap books) which sold about 9,000, and a very weak selection of pee stained golden age books, and left are other Marvel and DC silver and bronze at home due to space limitations. I concur with the others that to have a great show you need a healthly selection of , ( your outer wall of protection from the riff raff) thick quality of mid priced goodies, and hopefully a stocked amount of great 100 and up golden age.

We had a low grade Hulk 181 stolen, and John from Torpedo Comics caught a shoplifter in his grasp.

"A soon to be dead venue"?

So does that mean you guys are on the fence about showing there? I know there was a rather large booth increase last year (25%), but this year, I think it was only $100 more for next year? Since they have a long term contract, it looks like they're going to be in San Diego for a while so I can see them possibly adding a day (although I don't know if it will impact the convention from the previous weekend for Freeman regarding setup/tear down.)

Also, I noticed that many of the dealers were in the exact same spot as previous years. (Bedrock, Wyatt, Bunky Brothers, Superworld, Heroes, Comic Collector Shop, etc., etc.) Now I can see this as good and bad... good as in the collectors basically know where you are year in and year out. The bad being that if you get a bad spot, you might be screwed.

I see some dealers like Terry Stroud or Altair Collectibles (?) and sometimes I wonder how they even make their booth fees back.

From my point of view San Diego is far and away the best.

Chicago and New York would be second with New York being better for some. I will set up there next year for the first time, but have attended and compared notes with those dealers with similar inventories.

Your booth is always very visible... It's right near an entrance, you've got both sides displaying your wares. There seems to be a smiling staffer right there on each side and your expensive books are protected from the casual passer-by. I think your staffers even wear uniforms if I'm not mistaken. Next to Torpedo Comics with their awesome display, your display is pretty cool. The branding is right there. (thumbs u

Lee's Comics had a huge sign up... but it was so high (and the sign was double-sided) that the person RIGHT ON the other side (without a large banner) seemed to be a Lee's Comics Annex. I actually bought books from him and thought he was part of Lee's booth. doh!

(When I commented on that, he remarked that he'd like to kill Lee... lol )

I think your staffers even wear uniforms if I'm not mistaken.

No uniforms, but we are uniformly nerdy.

Thanks for the kind words. I have been setting up there long enough that seniority has set in. For the last three years we have had that two booth island right in front of the main door to Hall B.

It is a HUGE bonus. Even in a year like this where my inventory was light going into the show (only one copy of AF 15 to Metro's 612 copies) we still had good sales because of our location.

Hi all,

OK a little over stated, perhaps. Cost for my partner and I to set up and stay in SD with food etc. about 5,000. Total sales from the weekend about 15,000. There you go. we brough tons of 3 dollar books (thinking all the family with kiddies would go crazy with cheap books) which sold about 9,000, and a very weak selection of pee stained golden age books, and left are other Marvel and DC silver and bronze at home due to space limitations. I concur with the others that to have a great show you need a healthly selection of , ( your outer wall of protection from the riff raff) thick quality of mid priced goodies, and hopefully a stocked amount of great 100 and up goldend age.

We had a low grade Huld 181 stolen, and John Torpedo Comics caught a shoplifter in his grasp.

For me, the pleasure of showing some of our personal collectrion to Richard, Peter, and Steve, having drinks with the CGC members, Zaid, Brent, and Howard, that is what make the convention for us. Great times geeking with my comic brothers I love you all. Brian

Sorry the show wasn't all that great for you. If it's any consolation, I am really happy with the Voodoo I got from you guys there (and the Fight I bought from you online). Conservative grading and fair prices.

voodoo8.jpg

Hi all,

Sorry the show wasn't all that great for you. If it's any consolation, I am really happy with the Voodoo I got from you guys there (and the Fight I bought from you online). Conservative grading and fair prices.

voodoo8.jpg

Is it pee-stained? (shrug)