• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somebody School Me on GA Caps

43 posts in this topic

mind you, the 46 I got had restoration, so I only had to pay 3x guide for the pre resto grade....for the restored vf grade, I paid like 150% of unrestored VF guide.

rick

As I've always said, now that's a sign of a really hot book!

Virtually all restored books will only sell for a huge discount to guide. Very very few restored books are ever able to sell for a premium to guide. The trick is to identify and find these books before they get to this red-hot stage. Not an easy thing to do.

Anyways, I don't believe my friend is planning on selling the Cap #46 even though it's the lowest graded book in the run. I believe he's planning to keep all of the keys and sell off some of the less desireable books from this collection. Which means he'll probably keep all of the DC's, Timelys, and anything else of real value.

well, if he does sell, let me and Schomy know :)

part of my "problem" is that I don't know the timely market like I know the DC gold market... so, sometimes I make a purchase just because the book is cool, and I know it is "tough" and I have no clue what the price guide is (nor do I care)...dealer A has the book, has $X price on it, I offer $x less some nominal amount, and if the offer is accepted, deal is done...

it was only after I purchased (and several folks recommended I pounce, and pounce fast, as I really had no idea of the scarcity or demand for this book) that I realized what I had paid relative to "guide"...

but apparently guide has no bearing on the price this book sells for

rick

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into putting together a full run of GA Caps... while this is a long, long term project -- I'm very interested in finally making this move...

Good luck, Brian, & welcome to the GA madness! :applause:

Are you looking for a particular grade range (budget will likely determine this), or just looking for decent presentable copies?

Right now, I can probably purchase 8.0-9.0 copies of those easier to find... on the other more difficult issues, I'm looking for decent, good eye appeal copies, grade and resto unimportant. There is no grade min. with like with SA... and even 10 cent DCs.

Yeah, it's time. I was at the Overstreet Advisor's meeting yesterday and realized that there is just so much cool and tough to find GA stuff out there... it's time to make the move over -- still interested in those ten cent DCs though.

Brian;

Is this the annual meeting that OS has with his advisors before coming up with the price revisions for his guide?

I know that he used to have a meeting several years ago that normally took place around October. Just a little surprised to hear that he still has them, especially before the end of the busy summer convention season.

Can you give us anymore details on roughly what happens in one of these meetings. Or is it true that OS simply listens to everybody's conflicting opinions and then goes out and still does his own thing?