• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somebody School Me on GA Caps

43 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into putting together a full run of GA Caps... while this is a long, long term project -- I'm very interested in finally making this move...

But -- I know the Schomburg covers you can't go wrong with -- and some are definitely harder to find than others in grade -- so who can give me some direction -- what #s are tougher than others (I know some of the later issues are tough)... ? Just how daunting a task am I looking at... ?

Cap is, relative to other Timely runs, one of the easier of the "long" runs. How easy depends on what your minimum grade requirements are and whether you want pedigree copies, for example. You are correct that some of the later ones are the more difficult ones to find, with the 74 having the additional demand due to the classic cover.

And welcome to the GA :hi:

Brian first off I glad to see that the GA madness has finally taken ahold of you. I think you can find most of them (depending on grade) but they are as hot as any Timely and even the low grade stuff can attract a lot of attention. Metro is a good barometer of what's hard to find because if its not on their site then its probably not easy to come come or if its available, its likely in a decent grade and can be expensive. I find that issues like #3,16,33,46,70, 76,77(probably the hardest to find-highest graded is a 7.0) and 78 (killer copy on Heritage, probably the best I have ever seen). While you can probably find all of these on the market right now they are not cheap and the selection is limited. Now go buy a nice copy of issue #74. (thumbs u

Yeah, it's time. I was at the Overstreet Advisor's meeting yesterday and realized that there is just so much cool and tough to find GA stuff out there... it's time to make the move over -- still interested in those ten cent DCs though.

Brian what issues are you going to start with and is there a grade range? My suggestion would be to go after your top 10 favorites first because then it makes it easier to complete a full run over time, otherwise you might find yourself flipping books to get the prized copies and perhaps getting frustrated if the quest takes up too much time/money over the long haul. At least that way if you decide to not go after a complete set you would still have a handful of the best issues.

Yeah, it's time. I was at the Overstreet Advisor's meeting yesterday and realized that there is just so much cool and tough to find GA stuff out there... it's time to make the move over -- still interested in those ten cent DCs though.

I've never been able to make up my mind about which one to collect. Luckily there's no reason why you can't do both.

The Cap 76-78 are Atlas books from the 50s so some collectors stop at the 75. I like those issues -- fun Romita Cap commie-bashing stories along with a sample Everett Sub-mariner tale in each issue.

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into putting together a full run of GA Caps... Just how daunting a task am I looking at... ?

well, if you can find and buy a high grade unrestored Cap #74 :cloud9:.......

your life will never be the same again!

Steve

I'd really like to get a Cap Comics 27 -- but right now I'd also pursue any Schomburg cover.

Eventually I will cross over and buy the covers featuring Cap as well.

You haven't even started and you already have Phase II planned.

You got gold fever bad! :baiting:

hello all...

I just started this run in the last month or so....I am going to stop at 75, but like you and Schomburg, I plan to complete the full run Timely wise....

I can tell you, that some of them are not available anywhere, right now, that I can see...but I am glad to have some more folks enter the GA forray!

gator

This is definitely a long term project for me. I'm not capitalized to do this and just go out and buy anything and everything right now -- but aside from paying the insane prices for ultra high grade Marvels, i'm starting to feel like most SA is within reach if you have the $.

Gold and ten cent DCs have held an allure because I think I've learned what I need to learn about SA and BA (but there's always more to learn), but my knowledge about GA is really pretty poor in comparison to some of the people here and the dealers I encounter. There's so much knowledge out there and I want to get back into educating myself to the rich background and history of this hobby. My boredom comes often times from the fact that I've owned all the Marvels and many of the SA DCs outside of 10 centers and early 12 centers just don't interest (that Adams guy is cool though).

like you in your comfort zone, I feel I know DC GA pretty in depth....but, all other publishers I am a knowledge seeking sponge...

from what I have found out, cap 1 is pretty easy (especially in restored)...2-10 are available, but pricey...

16 is tough (skull), 46 is super tough (holocost), 61 is pricey (skull again), and 68-75 are scarcer or higher priced...

I am just picking up g/vg's to vg/fn's etc as I see them, to keep the cost reasonable!...

gator

Cap is, relative to other Timely runs, one of the easier of the "long" runs.

Very true. Therefore, the only way to make it really challenging is to assemble the run in strict sequential order, starting with #1.

My suggestion would be to go after your top 10 favorites first because then it makes it easier to complete a full run over time, otherwise you might find yourself flipping books to get the prized copies and perhaps getting frustrated if the quest takes up too much time/money over the long haul. At least that way if you decide to not go after a complete set you would still have a handful of the best issues.

Brian;

Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of GA comics! :applause:

I believe the advice from Surfer is the one to follow. (thumbs u It always pays to start with your favorites. From my point of view, you can't go wrong with the run from issue #25 to #33. Some really outstanding covers in there including the classic #27.

Happy collecting and let us know what you are able to pick up as you go along.

Cap is, relative to other Timely runs, one of the easier of the "long" runs.

Very true. Therefore, the only way to make it really challenging is to assemble the run in strict sequential order, starting with #1.

Brian;

If you are really serious about collecting the entire run, Tim's suggestion about starting from issue #1 makes the most sense from a financial point of view. You should always get the key books first because these are the ones that usually go up in value the most. Better to pay now when they are relatively cheaper as opposed to when they are a lot more expensive relative to the other issues. hm

Just took another look at the Gerber.............boy, that run from issue #25 right through to #39 looks really impressive except for the odd clunker. :cloud9:

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into putting together a full run of GA Caps... while this is a long, long term project -- I'm very interested in finally making this move...

But -- I know the Schomburg covers you can't go wrong with -- and some are definitely harder to find than others in grade -- so who can give me some direction -- what #s are tougher than others (I know some of the later issues are tough)... ? Just how daunting a task am I looking at... ?

Brian,

I don't think the task is daunting, but difficult yes! I started in 11/2006, and I am about 24 copies from completion. Of course the fevor caught me and now I am multicollecting other Timely's( Highly Addicting) such as MMC, HT, All Select,Winners, USA...haven't started Subby yet, but will soon.

I too was drawn to the challange and the newness of something 60-70 yrs. old! The Silver age, while pricey is just easy to find. It only takes money, the GA takes cash and is quite challanging. The thrill of the hunt, it drives me daily to pick up a new book. Some of the other advice given to you is right on, but buy what you like first. The later issues can be hard and will set you back 2-3 times guide on most from 61-up, and are very hard to find in grade above VG. The 26-29 schomburg and 36-39 Schommy's are incredible. Cap 46,47 are just hard to find, 46 being near impossible and very expensive. Surfer mentioned 16, also very tough and costy, then of course the 1st 10 issues which are iconic and available but costly. I also have not seen many 20-24's all super hard to find in VG or better unrestored. Cap 1 is very accessable as of late in restored or unrestored, and maybe a little soft. I do not believe this will last. Like Batman 1 it is common as GA books go, but in very high demand. As new collectors enter the field such as you, me,Rick and others these books will get locked away in perminant collections and prices will climb once again

In my opinion about half on the run has iconic covers worth notice, which will make choosing hard. My suggestion is jump in and buy in your budget, and after a while you will have the start of someting great. Have fun and welcome to the GA addiction.

Paul