• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying on ComicLink

42 posts in this topic

Sell 'em here Dale...it's free!

Actually it wouldbe great to see some of the bigger dealers participate in one of the VCCs here. I think with the quality of your books, you'd be quite happy with the results. Plus if you threw up some of your BA 9.8s I might have something to bust my wallet open on. :grin:

To be honest, it's not "FREE" here, because folks expect 1/3 off of Guide five years ago for a CGC 9.8 (how dare you offer that book at multiples of guide just because it's certified)...expect free shipping, etc. etc. I've pretty much have only done well here if I'm basically dumping books. I probably would've done better selling to a dealer. IMHO of course. And the VCC is overrated.

Based on Dale's prices (no offense Dale, just being realistic)...people here won't even nibble on his books unless his prices dip about 35%-50% (before people start asking more off). Don't believe me? Go ahead Dale, open a selling thread and list some books at your asking price.

High grade books, as a rule, does not sell here any better than other venues. People here generally want dirt cheap raw books.

To be honest, it's not "FREE" here, because folks expect 1/3 off of Guide five years ago for a CGC 9.8 (how dare you offer that book at multiples of guide just because it's certified)...expect free shipping, etc. etc. I've pretty much have only done well here if I'm basically dumping books. I probably would've done better selling to a dealer. IMHO of course. And the VCC is overrated.

Based on Dale's prices (no offense Dale, just being realistic)...people here won't even nibble on his books unless his prices dip about 35%-50% (before people start asking more off). Don't believe me? Go ahead Dale, open a selling thread and list some books at your asking price.

High grade books, as a rule, does not sell here any better than other venues. People here generally want dirt cheap raw books.

Sterling calls it true!

I sell on comiclink, and it is nearly impossible to get them a book within 5 days unless you use priority mail, and it does get expensive. Say you list a book for 75.00, sell it for 65.00, give comiclink a 6.50 commission, and then pay 8.00 for priority mail to get them the book. Almost not worth selling the book.

Once again, that is why prices are generally a little high on comiclink, and ebay too for that matter.

Why would you list a $75.00 book on there to begin with? :makepoint:

I've sold books for as little as 10 to 15 dollars. I would've had to give them away on here. Wait a minute - I did give some of them away on here. doh!

I think I will just post here for now and leave the selling to someone else, though after seeing some of the discussions about bronze age Tomahawks with Adams covers, I might have to reconsider. I have a couple of beautiful runs of this title. I guarantee I have some 9.6s in my collection. About 10 years ago, I bought the best Neal Adams collection I have ever seen and I just kept all the books. All DCs, mostly Horror, GLs, Detectives, Bats, Tomahawks.

As for selling, I would imagine that it would be just about like a convention. Take 300 slabbed books and probably sell 20 or 30. Really that is about fine with me anyway, because I do want to maintain an inventory, and about 30 9.4s a month is about what I can replace without getting a big new collection.

I said basically the same thing in the VCC Chit-chat thread. No dealer is going to list in the Marketplace (other than an eBay announcement). Unless its an incredibly tough book, the chances of selling books at even 75% of guide are slim-to-none.

how is this site any different from anywhere else, really? i think comic collectors in general want great deals regardless of where they get them. books that are priced out of the market will sit anywhere, unless they are on Heritage.

people here chisel because that is what has become expected. i blame gman

I said basically the same thing in the VCC Chit-chat thread. No dealer is going to list in the Marketplace (other than an eBay announcement). Unless its an incredibly tough book, the chances of selling books at even 75% of guide are slim-to-none.

really not any different from ebay or a con, now is it?

(shrug)

tell me where i can sell midgrade silver age books for 100% of guide, please

how is this site any different from anywhere else, really? i think comic collectors in general want great deals regardless of where they get them. books that are priced out of the market will sit anywhere, unless they are on Heritage.

It's very different for high grade, high dollar books. I don't know if it's because of the size of the "audience" or what, but I've put books up for sale here without a nibble that are sold on Comiclink for higher prices than I had them listed here for...the market isn't the same, dunno why? (shrug)

It's very different for high grade, high dollar books. I don't know if it's because of the size of the "audience" or what, but I've put books up for sale here without a nibble that are sold on Comiclink for higher prices than I had them listed here for...the market isn't the same, dunno why? (shrug)

That was my point. High grade books sell for more faster on other venues.

It is hard to sell any books, in any grade, at any time, for any price, anywhere, under any circumstances.

In comics the rule is this: PRICE IS IRRELEVANT.

Also, note that OS advertisers will run one ad that says: we pay the most money for collections! The next ad, 20 pages later will say: we sell for the lowest prices.

Now, what does that mean for all of you MBA's?

That was my point. High grade books sell for more faster on other venues.

I know...I was agreeing with you. (shrug)

One can only conclude that there are plenty of buyers that patronize Comiclink/Pedigree/Highgrade/etc that either don't visit the forums, or are uncomfortable with conducting transactions with other collectors (vs. the safety of dealing with "dealers"). Whatever the reason, the situation is what it is. hm

Well, I hear what you're saying, but...

1) You don't have to go any lower on price than you're comfortable with. You can always reject a lowball offer. I imagine this happens on eBay all the time with "submit your best offer".

2) Unlike eBay, if none of your stuff sells, you don't have a fat bill from anyone for listing fees.

3) Unlike other conventions, there are no table fees to make up, long drives/plane rides, no hauling boxes in, setting up tables & wall displays, and no shipping/lugging all your boxes of comics around the country.

My personal VCC experiences have shown me that when I've offered stuff that was hot and in demand, people paid quite well for my stuff, but as my inventory got down to less desirable books, I couldn't give them away. I think this trend can be found wherever you decide to sell your books to varying degrees.

Anyway, the way I see it, you got nothing to lose by listing your stuff here except some of your time, but then we must all have some of that since we're posting here all the time. :P

i think the size of the audience is the largest part of it. it's not as though these boards are running ten pages of ads in Overstreet touting the Marketplace.

i've seen high dollar books sell here, high grade books, as well.

i guess what i don't understand is why anyone here would suggest to someone that they shouldn't even bother listing books in the Marketplace, or making the community out to be a bunch of cheapskates...even if the latter were true. (shrug)

not talking about you per se, doc, just making a general statement

You know I wasn't talking about mid-grade Silver. (tsk)

busted.

did you get your 'puter set up yet? where are the sweet sweet scans, you lazy sonofaherring

You know I wasn't talking about mid-grade Silver. (tsk)

busted.

did you get your 'puter set up yet? where are the sweet sweet scans, you lazy sonofaherring

'Puter is working now. I've posted lots of scans:

Scans

More scans (Scroll down)

It is hard to sell any books, in any grade, at any time, for any price, anywhere, under any circumstances.

Probably a true statement, but my frame of reference has only been high grade certified books. Price and demand will play a factor in how fast something sells.

In comics the rule is this: PRICE IS IRRELEVANT.

Sorry bub...gotta disagree with you on this one.

Anyway, the way I see it, you got nothing to lose by listing your stuff here except some of your time, but then we must all have some of that since we're posting here all the time. :P

Good points; I just don't want anyone making out that selling here is so great here cause it ain't all that. Time is something I'm starting to value more; my posts have averaged 50% less this year as a result.