• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what defect on a mid-grade comic do you find MOST annoying?

51 posts in this topic

I know. They always seem to ruin the best books! You think even kids back then would get pissed at the huge folded comic they are trying to especially when it comes shaped like a V

Not really. My mom told me that she used to write her name on the cover of her comics (so other kids at school would not take it and claim as their own) and fold it in half or roll it up to stick in her back pocket or bag. Most kids just read comics back then (she is 67) with no thought of them ever being a collectible or even worth more than they paid for them. Look at many 1940's comics and you will see 5 cents written on them because the used book stores thought they were worth less once they were no longer on the newstand.

Just my 2c

I don't think I own a book with tape, so that has to be #1.

Popped staples or even loose staples.

Subscription creases (and I used to subscribe to comics when I was a kid...doh!)

Corner creases that break color

Things that don't bug me too much on a midgrade book:

Date stamps and store stamps don't bother me at all.

Names written on books...as long as they aren't written over the art.

Moisture stains on an otherwise nice book, as long as they aren't obtrusive and don't cause rippling.

Moderate spine wear that doesn't extend into the front cover art.

Tanning, as long as the paper isn't brittle.

A little musty smell...just adds to the antique feel of the book!

1. Tape

2. Water Damage

3. Tape

4. Coupons clipped

5. Tape

As a rule, I never buy a book with tape. It just drives me absolutely crazy.

So....how do you really feel about tape on a comic? :kidaround:

Ummm..... hm I'm gonna have to say I'm not a big fan.

:P

(thumbs u

I don't mind fairly unobtrusive names on the cover, but store stamps make me crazy. Date stamps are kinda cool because they give a little history on the book, even if it's not necessarily easily decoded. Every store had it's own system for stocking and pulling books. Some put the arrival date on the stamp, some put the pull date.

On a related note, there was a gentleman in my town that had the better part of a paper grocery sack full of GA books. He had kept them from when he was a kid. On the cover of every single book was a number. He said he put numbers on them so he'd know if one was missing. There were roughly 70 books total, I may have 6-10 of them.

And the musty smell is always a bonus! :grin:

I have lots and lots of these defects on my well loved lower grade books...while, I'd take tape on a low grade book, I wouldn't want it on a mid grade book...

but someone mentioned missing pages, THAT is something I wouldn't want on ANY book...I wish people would learn to count, lol:)

I wonder what a low grade thread would show?

I posted very early in this thread and indicated I find "liquid" stains the most annoying.

Naturally, in my OCD way I wondered why. After a healthy amount of introspective analysis and some decent single malt scotch, I worked out why I hate "water" stains.

They are unnecessary.

Almost every other flaw can be explained by shipping (sub creases), handling whilst reading (the dog ears and such). Tape is the most innocent of all. Loved the book and tried to fix it. Foxing and browning on older books are just "mess happens". At the time they were bought there was simply no consideration of environmental factors in storage. Church (and especially Chuck) were lucky.

Store stamps are OK - part of the history of the book. Ditto date stamps. Likewise previous owners letting me know it is their book. Even "repricing" doesn't make me crazy,

For the most part the damage is caused by a "love" for the comic.

When it comes to the coffee cup stain, I think " Damn, get a coaster". I mean books that have been through floods are written off. The partial water damage is always caused by the human factor. A human factor that at some point regarded the comic as worthless.

I know. Just as well, 'cause now the decent survivors are worth big bucks.

Still, I hate looking at a book with a big old stain, rippling and "tide " marks and thinking some careless knucklehead did this to what was a great comic.

My 2c