• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Qualified" Grade Poll

Do you agree with the use of the CGC "Qualified" grade for books that would grade much higher except for a single, major defect (for example, an otherwise NM book with a missing page)?  

360 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the use of the CGC "Qualified" grade for books that would grade much higher except for a single, major defect (for example, an otherwise NM book with a missing page)?

49 posts in this topic

I like the qualified label although I think calling ten missing pages a single major defect is pushing the envelope.

I agree. I never said I didn't find ANY use in the Qualified grade, such as SINGLE MAJOR DEFECTS like cut panels/MVS, loose centerfolds or detached staples, but at a certain point CGC entered the Twilight Zone of Qualified grading.

I think it was around the time CGC started grading single pages. 27_laughing.gif

I voted yes. Qualified books are a great way for a collector to get a valuable book that presents well at a discounted price. The book in question presents a lot better that most .5 books. To some collectors this is more important then it being complete. Others may prefere the trashed copy that is complete. Why is there an objection to puting the information about how it presents on the label and letting the collector decide what its worth to them?

Why is there an objection to puting the information about how it presents on the label and letting the collector decide what its worth to them?

It's not about the label information, but the numerical grade of 6.0.

Remember, we're dealing with a newbie buying public who called CGC in great numbers, all worked up and confused about the dreaded "-" on the label.

Do you really believe these same buyers have even the slightest ideas on the intricacies involved in the CGC Qualified grading process? I'd bet $50 that CGC could tell me their exact criteria and I could present a scan that disputes it.

So how are new buyers (which CGC and dealers) supposedly value, supposed to get it?

Question to CGC:

What about if I carefully pull out the middle 10 pages of a off-the-shelf USM book, will it get a Qualified NM?

This is the third time I've pointed this out to you. You've already asked this question and Steve has already answered it.

You said in the "Qualified or Crapified" thread:

"I think the real question should be "What if the 10 pages were missing from a Ultimate Spider-man #22?

CGC 0.5 "

Steve Borock replied:

WRONG, it would receive a Qualified grade to reflect the "look" of the comic book.

I think it was around the time CGC started grading single pages. 27_laughing.gif

Really?

Please...... do tell......what grade did they give those single pages?

The misinformation you spread is truly mind boggling.

255319-Action%231slabbedPageFinal.jpg

So why did this single page get a blue label? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Really?

Dork...they didn't grade the page. Asked the CGC Gods in SD and all they did was authenticate that the page came from Action 1! thumbsup2.gif

Really?

Dork...they didn't grade the page. Asked the CGC Gods in SD and all they did was authenticate that the page came from Action 1! thumbsup2.gif

Really?

Because blue is cool. thumbsup2.gif