• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How's the Gold/Silver market these days?

8 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of putting my collection up for sale and was wondering, in general at this point I guess, where the Gold/Silver comic market is these days. I pretty much stopped purchasing books about 2 years back. At that point, prices seemed to have receded a bit from a peak a year or 2 prior to that.

Are things still generally a bit slower than 2002-2004 or are prices growing again?

Thanks,

Pete

A few things to consider is what condition your books are in (mid-to-low grade or HG), are they raw or slabbed, are they keys or non-keys?. We'll need some more info to better answer your question.

Angelo

Recommend u post some scans in the Cgc marketplace forum. Everything seems to sell to forumites if priced reasonably.

Lots of GA inventory from the HUGE GA Crippen collection still hitting the market via Heritage Auctions.

Overheard a major dealer in San Diego last week say that he was offered a GA collection conservatively valued at $150,000 retail for $900 cash in 2007. This 90 year old man in the care home would have been 21 years old in 1937, so can u imagine the runs of early GA comics? I won't mention the name of the dealer but he was lucid and did not seem to have been hitting the peyote pipe and having a flashback to 1977. :pullhair:

If GPA is any indication, it seems like the market for the highest grade CGC books is hotter now than in the past 6-7 years, especially if it's the highest graded, or second-highest graded copy of a book.

I'm a silver age X-Men collector so my experience is mostly limited to that segment.

From my observation, silver-age high-grade and keys appear to have done very well this last year.

Mid-grade books and non-keys appear to be flat. That is, same prices as last year.

Well, it sounds like the market is doing pretty well and the Marketplace is doing really well!

I guess it's time to re-start the GPA subscription and get scanning.

Thanks a lot.

Pete

Overheard a major dealer in San Diego last week say that he was offered a GA collection conservatively valued at $150,000 retail for $900 cash in 2007.

Strongly doubt if there is any truth to this story at all here, especially if the dealer does not have this collection by now. If not, was he trying to bargain the collection down to the $500 range? (tsk)doh!

Overheard a major dealer in San Diego last week say that he was offered a GA collection conservatively valued at $150,000 retail for $900 cash in 2007.

Strongly doubt if there is any truth to this story at all here, especially if the dealer does not have this collection by now. If not, was he trying to bargain the collection down to the $500 range? (tsk)doh!

Was the $900 a finder's fee? :screwy: